• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Some Kvetching

Free episodes:

shamca

Paranormal Novice
Hi Guys - I'm a recent subscriber to your podcast and am enjoying it - I was referred to you by the guys at Eerieradio as a more 'serious' podcast about paranormal topics.

I'm kvetching about 2 audio issues
- there's so much reverb, it's distracting and
- although it sounds like you're using a noise gate, there is a 13k squeal (the sound of a PC fan ?) sneaking in.

Sorry for the whine and cheese,
Shamca

13K squeal? Our Macs don't have any fan noise, nor am I hearing that. I doubt we have the resolution to get that high in our Internet stream.

There is no added reverb, except for what you occasionally hear in a guest's own setting, where they might be doing the interview in a "live" room.

A noise gate wouldn't add this "squeal" you say you hear, unless the guest is using a PC with a noisy fan when they are being recorded.

shamca said:
Hi Guys - I'm a recent subscriber to your podcast and am enjoying it - I was referred to you by the guys at Eerieradio as a more 'serious' podcast about paranormal topics.

I'm kvetching about 2 audio issues
- there's so much reverb, it's distracting and
- although it sounds like you're using a noise gate, there is a 13k squeal (the sound of a PC fan ?) sneaking in.

Sorry for the whine and cheese,
Shamca

We often contact guests via telephone, either landlines or wireless, and so we're kind of constrained by the quality of those connections. We have little control over that, and we encourage our guests to use Skype when they can, with decent headphones and mics.

Reverb? Only on the commercials, the interview segments have zero reverb, as far as I know. If anything, you're hearing room ambience, as neither Gene nor I have isolation rooms.

If you're really hearing a 13K squeal of some sort, I suppose we could notch it with a parametric EQ, I'll try to take a look and see if there's some freq spike, but I don't think so. Gene is the one that handles the audio post, any thoughts about this, Gene?

David Biedny said:
Reverb? Only on the commercials, the interview segments have zero reverb, as far as I know. If anything, you're hearing room ambience, as neither Gene nor I have isolation rooms.

Indeed, there are certainly things we'd like to do to improve a few things about our environments, but, as I said, we'll always be constrained by the method used to contact the guests.

It's not as if we can fly them to our palatial studio :)

Kvetching?
Lord, there are enough Hebrews showing up in these forums to cast a remake of Exodus. I call dibs on Paul Newman's role. Who wants to be Otto Preminger?

Room ambience - I think you're right.

re: the squeal - I loaded it into Logic and scrubbed the audio a bit - definitely a fan of some sort.

Enough anal-isms - important point is the content of your show is great.

Shaun

shamca said:

re: the squeal - I loaded it into Logic and scrubbed the audio a bit - definitely a fan of some sort.

Shaun

One of our future plans would be to provide better acoustic treatment for our studio surroundings. It's not a high priority, however. There are others ahead of it, such as getting on more terrestrial outlets, sponsorships, etc. 8)

Gene Steinberg said:
shamca said:

Shaun

One of our future plans would be to provide better acoustic treatment for our studio surroundings. It's not a high priority, however. There are others ahead of it, such as getting on more terrestrial outlets, sponsorships, etc. 8)

Hi Gene, all you need to do is get a few carpets (can be cheap one's), and attach them to the studio walls. That will get rid of the high-frequency shatter echo.

musictomyears said:
Gene Steinberg said:
shamca said:

Shaun

Hi Gene, all you need to do is get a few carpets (can be cheap one's), and attach them to the studio walls. That will get rid of the high-frequency shatter echo.

Certainly an option. By the way: David and I are in separate locations. He's in New York and I'm in Arizona, so it means two studios :):)

Back