• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Sake may power cars in the future

Aaron LeClair

Paranormal Maven
"By Risa Maeda

SHINANOMACHI, Japan (Reuters) - Japanese motorists may one day pump their cars full of sake, the fermented rice wine that is Japan's national drink, if a pilot project to create sake fuel is a hit with locals in this mountain resort.

The government-funded project at Shinanomachi, 200 kilometres (124 miles) northwest of Tokyo, will produce cheap rice-origin ethanol brew with the help of local farmers who will donate farm waste such as rice hulls to be turned into ethanol.
Photo

"We want to present the next generation a preferable blue print -- a self-sustainable use of local fuels," said Yasuo Igarashi, a professor of applied microbiology at the University of Tokyo who heads the three year project.

If the project catches on with locals then it could pave the way for similar endeavours across Japan that will see Japanese cars running on Japanese-made biofuels in the future, he added.

Japan, the world's second largest gasoline consumer after the United States, is entirely dependent on crude oil imports and it has been hit by the surge in oil prices.

With hefty carbon emissions reduction targets to meet under the Kyoto protocols, Japan is turning to biofuels. Yet motorists in Japan are still far behind drivers in Europe and the United States in their consumption of green fuels.

Some analysts say Japan is at a major disadvantage as high prices for local farm produce mean locally-made green fuels are exorbitantly expensive.

Added to that is a lack of support from the country's powerful oil distributors and a failure by the government to provide policy incentives such as mandatory usage. Continued..."

Sake may power cars in the future

Brazil have been running their cars on ethanol fermented from sugar-beet since the oil crisis in the 1970's...

...diesel cars here in the UK can be run on (vegetable) cooking oil without requiring any modification to the engine.

Stan Meyer claims to have run his buggy on hydrogen directly cracked from tap water.

Why are we still running our cars on petrol?

I don't know a lot about this sort of thing, but I often wonder why solar power, or electricity isn't used instead of oil. Is it just because of greed, or is it not applicable?

I been wanting to see "Who killed the Electric Car" but heard negative things about it. If I remember correctly, some of the criticisms were that it "lied", or was inaccurate. Same sorts of criticism that Michael Moore gets etc. Anyone out there seen the movie?

A.LeClair said:
I been wanting to see "Who killed the Electric Car" but heard negative things about it. If I remember correctly, some of the criticisms were that it "lied", or was inaccurate. Same sorts of criticism that Michael Moore gets etc. Anyone out there seen the movie?

I've not seen that one - did you ever watch the "It Runs on Water" documentary that I posted several months ago?

Back