• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Sai Baba

dusty

Skilled Investigator
This is a guest suggestion really not so much a question,
but here's a man I would like to know more about,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sathya_Sai_Baba

And this chap might be a good source,
http://www3.hi.is/~erlendur/english/index.html

I remember seeing books about Sai Baba lying around at home years ago. My dad was really fascinated with him and told me of some of the miraculous things he has done. Please read the wiki link, and I hope you agree that it would be great to get Dr Haraldsson on the show to enlighten us a little.

Mark

I don't want to be harsh, but a cult leader isn't a little bit dangerous? Also, I remember several people debunking the materializations.

Thanks for that info guys I wasn't aware of anything like that.

I'll just get my coat then :redface:

Mark

Thanks for that info guys I wasn't aware of anything like that.

I'll just get my coat then :redface:

Mark

I've seen a documentary (few months ago) about the whole rape scandal and dodgy dealings surrounding Sai Baba. It also gives insight about his philosophy, supposed miracles and stuff.
Will try to find the link for you. ;)

EDIT: Cant find the link, but it was made by BBC and it's called Secret Swami (here's link with some info:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/this_world/3791921.stm
If you can find it online, I would recomend you to watch it.

EDIT #2 : Here's -Secret Swami- on Google Video: VIDEO

Thanks ddd999 and Rudolph,

Powerful video ddd999 talk about blind faith, I think everyone here should watch this.
Most enlightening in a different way.

You see this is what I like so much about hanging out here. If you have a question then at least one of you guys has something helpful. The investigator guy at around 20 mins into the video Husava Premonand I think, sounds like someone who would be an interesting guest. Man has he got his work cut out?

Dont worry I have no intention of following anybody, wouldn't cut my hair for ANYONE. Just thought him interesting.

I'm a strict Vagetarian anyway :)

Mark

Wow. I've read a couple of books on Sai Baba and used to like him. I never knew about the molestation allegations before seeing DDD999's post - good info. Very sad and disappointing.

I am curious about religious miracles in general, though, and maybe that would be a good topic for a show. In particular, I've heard the Catholic church has a standardized process for recognizing "official" miracles, and I would be curious to hear what that process is, and how scientific, if at all, it is. I would also be curious to hear of recent miracles that have been deemed "official".

You must have at least two miracles to be declared a saint, the entire process is like a trial, can take years or centuries. Also, sometimes there are large purges of fake saints or people who was canonized without the correct process.

Wow. I've read a couple of books on Sai Baba and used to like him. I never knew about the molestation allegations before seeing DDD999's post - good info. Very sad and disappointing.

Mother of a friend of mine went to India to see Sai Baba (back in the late 80s), came back with the sand he "materialised" for her, so I knew of him since then. When I watched this documentary, few years back, I was disappointed too. "Holy man"? More like a "corrupt dirty old man".

Back