• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Sad to see Apple canx Airport Express, Airport Extreme & Time Capsule :(

This article covers the current Wi-Fi router situation:

Newsletter Issue #960 | The Tech Night Owl Newsletter — Cutting-Edge Tech Commentary

I'll have a column about AirPort tomorrow. I was present at Macworld Expo in 1999 in NYC when the first AirPort was launched.
Disappointed that they wont be around anymore. I tried to sell them to as many people as I could. I have the Airport Extreme running & it works like a champ - had it for about three years now. Also have an Arris modem that I bought a few mos ago - refurbed on Amazon for like $47. I love how the Airport routers have no buttons, switches, knobs, antennas....just one tiny light that can turn two different colors to tell you what's going on. Also, it was the easiest set up I've ever seen for a router.

Funny that it took a computer company (Apple) to teach the cell phone guys how to make a cell phone and Apple had to teach companies that make nothing but routers/modem/switches on how to make those. Now Apple is recommending the Linksys modems that look kinda like the Airport Extreme.

Just did a speed check and supposedly right this very minute I'm getting 156.12 down & 9.94 up. I'm on the same floor as the router but not in the same room.

Here's my story about AirPort:

RIP AirPort! | The Tech Night Owl — Cutting-Edge Tech Commentary

I had this router for review, and it performs far far better than the built-in router included in CenturyLink's DSL model.

Amped Wireless HELIOS High Power AC2200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router

At least till their PR people ask for its return.
Do you notice a huge improvement with the HELIOS? I never heard of it. I believe this is what Apple is now pushing on their website Velop Whole-Home Mesh Wi-Fi

Do you notice a huge improvement with the HELIOS? I never heard of it. I believe this is what Apple is now pushing on their website Velop Whole-Home Mesh Wi-Fi
We don't have a place large enough for a "whole-home" system.

No, it's just a single unit with an extra broadcast channel to handle multiple device systems better.

Performance is, as I wrote, noticeably better than the ISP's router.

Performance is, as I wrote, noticeably better than the ISP's router.
Our combo modem/router from Comcast was garbage. They count on the fact that people forget they are leasing their product. That's what happened to me like 6 mos ago. I was like "why am I paying for this piece of hardware every month? I could have bought several modems with the same money I'm spending on leasing there's." That's why I went on the hunt to see what a good option would be and ended up with that Arris modem for $47. Too bad getting a new modem isn't the same cinch it is to set up an Airport router. Little big of a rigamarole contacting customer service, getting them the MAC address, them firing off a signal to my modem, etc.

I'm sure Apple's bean counters looked at sales and potential, and the investment they needed to keep it going. They obviously have access to data that bloggers do not have when they tell Apple they did the wrong thing.
From day one, I wanted a Time Capsule. I thought it was ingenious & would make me feel better that all our data was backed up regularly and all without wires. But I heard they were cumbersome & had a lot of issues (the first gen ones). But at this point, I really don't need one. My iMac is still in storage in Seattle and I have 3 broken Macbooks (two of the aluminum ones and then that one version they made in around 2006 that was black). Nowadays it's just multiple iPhones, iPads & Chromebooks.

From day one, I wanted a Time Capsule. I thought it was ingenious & would make me feel better that all our data was backed up regularly and all without wires. But I heard they were cumbersome & had a lot of issues (the first gen ones). But at this point, I really don't need one. My iMac is still in storage in Seattle and I have 3 broken Macbooks (two of the aluminum ones and then that one version they made in around 2006 that was black). Nowadays it's just multiple iPhones, iPads & Chromebooks.
I was never nuts about Time Capsule. The router I'm using now, on loan from the manufacturer, has a USB 3.0 port for a network storage device. It's something I might test.

I was never nuts about Time Capsule. The router I'm using now, on loan from the manufacturer, has a USB 3.0 port for a network storage device. It's something I might test.
That sounds similar to what I have. I'm using the Airport Extreme with a 1TB drive plugged into the USB port on the router. Then I have an app on my iPhone that lets me access that hard drive. But I always heard that Time Capsule was a great idea - but slow & cumbersome.

Back