• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

"rock concert lighting" sighting

corechakra

Paranormal Novice
I'm a long-time listener of Gene and David. I've registered in order to relate the following sighting, which I've now given up trying to explain in the normal way.

This happened, I believe, in the spring of 2003, within a few hundred yards of my home in a rural section of the northeastern USA. To leave or enter my property I always travel a long, narrow road that has six old, well-spaced houses on one side of it (the other side is a brook). On this night I was driving home about 10PM (possibly a bit later), and as I passed the house that is the second house away from mine I saw what seemed to be a cluster of huge, halogen-quality lights suspended over the house. Normally the road is very dark at that time of night, except for the lamplight from a few windows. I was extremely puzzled by these lights, so I stopped the car and rolled down the driver's side window (I remember that some moisture outside the window obscured the view slightly). There was no sound or movement. I had the impression of a set of three or four very large, round lights connected by scaffolding (I could have just assumed that without seeing it), though I saw no structure on which they were suspended. I assumed at the time that there was a structure, but that the brightness of the lights prevented me from seeing it.

I sat and looked at this probably less than a minute. Since my impression was that the lights were directly over the house, at that point they would have been about seventy feet away from my driver's window horizontally, and 60 to 100 feet in the air.

My own house, which was a few hundreds yards further down the house, was elevated in such a way that I guessed it would be roughly horizontal to the lights. I drove home and parked my car on the side of the house facing where I had seen the lights. I thought I would be able to see any structure above or behind the lights, and whether there was anybody up there. But when I got out of my car and looked back, the whole scene was its usual black. There were no unusual lights at all.

At the time I had no emotion other than puzzlement. When I first saw the lights, I would have assumed they had been put up for a baseball game, except that home plate would have been a house and third base a garage, and the whole playing field at a 30 degree angle because of a steep hillside behind the house. Putting the baseball theory out of my mind, I remember assuming as I was rolling down the window that it was some kind of night-time construction, since the lights looked a little bit like the lighting used for road crews who work through the night. But there had been no sound, no movement, and so far as I could tell nobody at all was around; running such lights when nothing at all is happening would be impractically expensive. My next thought was that it was a depressing new form of deer-jacking --behind the house in question is a large meadow, on the hillside, that is often grazed by a large herd of deer. The lights looked vaguely like a rack of deer-jacking lamps, only many hundreds of times larger. But of course I quickly realized that was impossible. It may not have been deer season (I wouldn't have known that specifically one way or another) but more important, you don't deer-jack in people's backyards. I've never seen the lights again. Constructing a huge scaffold with gigantic lights for a one-time deer-jack is clearly not a possible explanation for this.

As I say, I have to pass this house two dozen times a week at a minimum, and there has never been the slightest evidence of any construction at or around it. No tubing, no cording, no lights, no dents in the ground or messed up grass, it has clearly never been disturbed in any way. Unfortunately I have never had a conversation with the owners, and would have no way of initiating an inquiry about mysterious lights over the house (given the habits around here, they may have been in bed already and not known a thing about it anyway). In several years of thinking about this incident, I have never come up with an explanation that is remotely likely.

I recently read or heard --I'm not sure which-- a description of a sighting that was described as "rock concert lighting." That gave me a little thrill of recognition, since that would be an exquisitely precise description of what I saw.

Back