• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Recommended Reading?

TheShadowPeople

Paranormal Novice
I had sent and e-mail to David and Gene, and was told to post the question on the forums, so this is my first thread here.

What books would you recommend?

I'm asking you all to make a list of essential, or recommended Paracast related reading material.

Thanks,

Timothy

I really enjoyed Freddy Silva's "Secrets in the Fields: The Science and Mysticism of Crop Circles", well written and full of interesting insights and details about this odd phenomenon.

Another great book would be Richard Dolan's "UFOs and the National Security State: Chronology of a Coverup, 1941-1973", essential UFO reading.

More to come soon.

dB

TheShadowPeople said:
What books would you recommend?

I know this is negative, but I have found that the more books I read on the UFO subject, the less clear the picture becomes.

This isn't the same as saying don't read any books, just that you'll soon discover that there's a lot of conflicting information and in the end *you* will have to decide for yourself which version of reality is more *probable* than the other.

Keep an open mind - the attitude that I have adopted is to accept that *everything is possible* but some things are more *probable* than others.

I find it enlightening to approach the UFO question from as many angles as possible. One book that helped me do that is Bruce Rix' "Hollywood vs. the Aliens."

The author believes that the CIA, DIA and (later) NSA used operatives in the Hollywood film industry to shape public perception of UFOs and the people who occupy them, investigate them and believe in them.

An excellent, exhaustive read. As an amateur horror and sci-fi film enthusiast, I found some of the arguments very original and insightful.

Best UFO books (not necessarily related to paracast guests):

Project Beta - Greg Bishop

Firestorm: Dr. James E. McDonald's Fight for UFO Science - Ann Druffel

The UFO Evidence, Vol. II - Richard Hall

The UFO Evidence - Richard Hall

The Abduction Enigma - Kevin Randle, Russ Estes and William Cone

Shockingly Close to the Truth - James Mosely & Karl Pflock

Challenge to Science: The UFO Enigma - Jacques & Janine Vallee

The UFO Experience: A Scientific Enquiry - J. Allen Hynek

The UFO Encyclopedia: The Phenomenon from the Beginning - Jerome Clark

Paul

The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan

also,

Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confusions of Our Time by Michael Shermer

Rudism said:
The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan

also,

Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confusions of Our Time by Michael Shermer

I'm not a big fan of Shermer's work, but Sagan was great, even though I didn't always agree with him. He did so much to popularize science. DHW is a good read.

I should have added that everyone should read "The Day After Roswell" by Philip J. Corso, to see what UFO-related bunk looks like. It helps, if you take the UFO phenomenon seriously as an area worthy of scientific inquiry, to know what the enemy looks like. ;-)

Paul

paulkimball said:
I'm not a big fan of Shermer's work, but Sagan was great, even though I didn't always agree with him. He did so much to popularize science. DHW is a good read.

I should have added that everyone should read "The Day After Roswell" by Philip J. Corso, to see what UFO-related bunk looks like. It helps, if you take the UFO phenomenon seriously as an area worthy of scientific inquiry, to know what the enemy looks like. ;-)

Paul

You read Demon Haunted World? It's horrible. At least the paranormal aspects of it. I already agree with Sagan on religion so I didn't really read much of those parts of the book.

Billions and Billions was a good read, though I don't recall much ufo talk in it.

The Cosmos series is great.

Contact (the book) was so-so.

My 10 second review on some of Sagan's work.

paulkimball said:

Paul

You read Demon Haunted World? It's horrible. At least the paranormal aspects of it. I already agree with Sagan on religion so I didn't really read much of those parts of the book.

Billions and Billions was a good read, though I don't recall much ufo talk in it.

My ufo related recommended books:

Budd Hopkin's Intruders

UFOs Are Real Here's the Proof. Ed Walters (stop throwing tomatos) and Bruce Maccabee

And anything by "HE who shall not be named" for a laugh. Sorry, couldn't resist.

paulkimball said:

Paul

My ufo related recommended books:

Budd Hopkin's Intruders

Ufos are Real Here's the Proof. Ed Walters (hold your tomatos) and Bruce Maccabee

Abducted by Debbie Jordan and Kathy Mitchell

The Way of the Explorer by Edgar Mitchell

The Mind's Sky by Timothy Ferris

The Emerging Mind by (I forget, oops)

And anything by "HE who shall not be named" for a laugh. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Back