• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Question for David...

Sepherant

Paranormal Novice
Hey David, I know this isn't exactly paracasty, but what do you feel are the best plugins for fundamental photoshop work?

In other words, in that gigantic world of plugins, which are the most useful for a broad spectrum of work? BTW, are you up on CS2, or do you not really use it anymore?

Sepherant,

I am indeed using the most recent version of Photoshop, CS2. It's one of the strongest versions of Photoshop ever, and I'll qualify this in that I've been less than thrilled with certain versions.

As far as third party plugins, I have to say, 99% of what ANYONE needs to do in Photoshop can be accomplished without any additional plugins. There is a tendency for folks to rely a bit too much on plugins for tasks that take a little understanding of the program. That said, I think that one of the most underrated Photoshop powertools of all time is Reindeer Graphics' (www.reindeergraphics.com) rather sublime Optipix 3.1, which contains very potent tools for sharpening, resezing and contrast enhancement. Not the best interface ever devised, but powerful stuff in terms of the results. When it comes to special effects work well, I'm more likely to turn to the cool offerings found in Adobe After Effects - in many ways, the Photoshop plugin world has stagnated, which the After Effects plugin field is thriving with all sorts of goodies. And then, for the most amazing visual dope ever, there's my secret weapon, ArtMatic Pro. Perhaps the most awesome special effects engine in the known universe, but Mac-only, and you can find it at www.artmatic.com.

Back