• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Question for David Biedny regarding creativity.

Free versions of recent episodes:

kipspritely

Skilled Investigator
David,
You have mentioned on many shows that you have had some intriguing paranormal encounters. You are also, in my book, a very creative thinker.
My question is: Do you believe your encounters were a factor in the creative work you have done in the special effects field?
Did these encounters help you to think outside the box?

I am asking because it seems a lot of encounters that are more of the up close and personal type are reported by folks who work in creative fields.

Ive heard that before too. Ive also heard counter arguments like, maybe it just seems that way because creative people are expressive while bankers and accountants probably dont even think to talk about it.

I am asking because it seems a lot of encounters that are more of the up close and personal type are reported by folks who work in creative fields.

That would be an interesting thing to try to quantify to see if that impression can be supported. It makes a certain amount of sense, though, in that creative people tend to think more outside the box (cliche, I know) so you would think they would be more receptive to new experiences. And, since this issue of receptivity appears to be 'part of the equation,' it might fit.

I've read numerous times over the years that people who are abductees are generally more artistic. How true this is I don't know.

Ive heard that before too. Ive also heard counter arguments like, maybe it just seems that way because creative people are expressive while bankers and accountants probably dont even think to talk about it.
Wow, good call Gareth! That makes a lot of sense!

I would wager that being creative, is the result of some kind of experience, not so much a determining factor as to whether or not you experience something.

They say all the best art, music, and writing come from having been through some horrible, or traumatic time in one's life. The more tortured you are, the more beautiful and creative the work is from someone.

I believe it's a coping mechanism. Being a creative person myself, I can tell you that my life over the last 39 years has been far from mundane, and far from as happy as I would have liked.

I would wager that being creative, is the result of some kind of experience, not so much a determining factor as to whether or not you experience something.

They say all the best art, music, and writing come from having been through some horrible, or traumatic time in one's life. The more tortured you are, the more beautiful and creative the work is from someone.

I believe it's a coping mechanism. Being a creative person myself, I can tell you that my life over the last 39 years has been far from mundane, and far from as happy as I would have liked.

So is this the reason you are starving yourself? To be more creative? :p

Seriously though, I think one can draw creative inspiration from both good and bad experiences although bad experiences tend to be more intense.

The whole angst-ridden artist stereotype to me is so tired. Having worked with many world-class artists in my life I can tell you that nearly all of them are very normal looking well adjusted people not brooding traumatized victims. The purple hair, nose pierced types like the Tim Burtons of the world get noticed but most of them are no more talented than the button down types.

Almost all the truly talented people I know were born artistic or creative. They showed early skills at a young age and had very inquisitive natures. The people I've worked with who were of a lesser talent never had a good eye in the first place and no amount of training made them better artists.

Many great artists were inspired by other great artists, books, nature, contemporary news, and other sources to fire their imaginations. Traumatic experiences rarely ever create artists but creative people are more likely to turn those experiences into art.

If bad experiences alone makes people artists then we got 2 million creative people in prison in the US. I just don't see that happening.

So is this the reason you are starving yourself? To be more creative? :p

Seriously though, I think one can draw creative inspiration from both good and bad experiences although bad experiences tend to be more intense.

The whole angst-ridden artist stereotype to me is so tired. Having worked with many world-class artists in my life I can tell you that nearly all of them are very normal looking well adjusted people not brooding traumatized victims. The purple hair, nose pierced types like the Tim Burtons of the world get noticed but most of them are no more talented than the button down types.

Almost all the truly talented people I know were born artistic or creative. They showed early skills at a young age and had very inquisitive natures. The people I've worked with who were of a lesser talent never had a good eye in the first place and no amount of training made them better artists.

Many great artists were inspired by other great artists, books, nature, contemporary news, and other sources to fire their imaginations. Traumatic experiences rarely ever create artists but creative people are more likely to turn those experiences into art.

If bad experiences alone makes people artists then we got 2 million creative people in prison in the US. I just don't see that happening.

I wish I was one of those so called angst ridden artist types. I've met plenty of no talent morons who thought they were agents, art critics, and art directors.

I threw that out there as it pertains to those who have seen, or experienced something like UFOs, Aliens, or abductions, with the idea that it's a coping mechanism.

You missed the point of my post, like you have on some of my other posts.

I've read numerous times over the years that people who are abductees are generally more artistic. How true this is I don't know.

I don't know how true it is either, but I've met more then a few that have acute visualization abilities. The ability to visualize may be part of the "why" some people see this or that and why some don't, and visualization being a key to creative endeavors. Perhaps visualization gives the formless form of some sort.

Back