• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Quatermass And The Pit

skunkape

Paranormal Maven
I just stumbled across this gem of vintage sci-fi. I have heard a lot of people report having a strong emotional reaction the first time they saw the cover of 'Communion.' I didn't really have the same reaction, but the scene at the 40:00 mark in this film evoked a strong, visceral reaction. It felt like someone snuck up behind me and clapped their hands loudly.

<embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=3434833733223827719&hl=en&fs=true" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

I just stumbled across this gem of vintage sci-fi. I have heard a lot of people report having a strong emotional reaction the first time they saw the cover of 'Communion.' I didn't really have the same reaction, but the scene at the 40:00 mark in this film evoked a strong, visceral reaction. It felt like someone snuck up behind me and clapped their hands loudly.

<EMBED style="WIDTH: 400px; HEIGHT: 326px" id=VideoPlayback type=application/x-shockwave-flash src=http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=3434833733223827719&hl=en&fs=true allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true">

I've never heard of other people having the attraction to Communion, but I know when I first saw it when I was in grade 6 I had to have it and read it right away. I was instantly drawn to the cover of that book but always attributed it to the topic, but now that I'm hearing other people have had the same feeling, it's a little trippy.

I'm gonna reread that book as it was rather hard to understand a lot of it when I tried to read it the first time.

This is a great film.

I had a heck of a time finding it on Netflix, because when I remembered seeing it as a kid on "The Big Show" after grade school, it was called "Five Million Years to Earth" -- and it does not appear under that title on Netflix.

But, I did find it finally last year (thanks imdb!!) and really had a great time getting re-acquainted with this gem.

I don't think I've seen it. What's it about?

========================
From imdb:

Workers excavating at an underground station in London uncover the skeletal remains of ancient apes with large skulls. Further digging reveals what is at first believed to be an unexploded German bomb from World War II. Missile expert Colonel Breen is brought in to investigate, accompanied by Professor Bernard Quartermass. When the interior of the "missile" is exposed, a dead locust-like creature that resembles the devil is found. It is determined by Quartermass that these "locusts" are evil Martians who altered the brains of our simian ancestors to eventually lay claim to the Earth. When Quartermass's suspicion that the missile can reactivate the dormant evil in humans is confirmed, all hell breaks loose. Written by Rick Gregory {[email protected]}
========================

This is quite a good film. Worth a watch.

Nigel Kneale is still one of the most underrated writers of British TV programmes from the 50s to the 70s. Quatermass was his most well known character, and the first Quatermass "serial", The Quatermass Experiment was remade a few years back (2005 I think) for the BBC ... and it was acted live (!!) as it was first broadcast back in the 50s.

The last Quatermass (there were only 4 of them: The Quatermass Experiment, Quatermass II, Quatermass and The Pit, and finally, Quatermass) produced in 1979 featured masses of young people being drawn to stone circles and places of ancient worship and then being taken up off planet ... although, of course this is not quite what really happens.

It ends with one of the great epic endings of all time involving the great rocket scientist himself ... and a nuclear bomb!!!

If you've never heard of Quatermass, check him/it out if you can. Its really intelligent writing and it has influenced a boat load of British tv from Dr Who to ... well pretty much everything involving humane scientists, aliens, threats of alien invasion ... etc etc etc :D

Heres a wikipedia link for more on Bernard Quatermass:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatermass_(TV_serial)

Back