• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Photoshop Magic anyone?

Loose Leaf Tea

Skilled Investigator
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I was wondering if any of the UFO research groups routinely use an application like Photoshop to recreate and produce an image of an eyewitnesses UFO sighting.

I personally believe, (such as and like), that having an accurate, recreated image would help the eyewitness, and the rest of us, "see" what they saw.
Drawing the object onto an actual photograph of the location (with the eyewitnesses absolute input, of course) would be the best way to go but
never having used Photoshop myself (Microsoft Picture It! is my level ! ) I don't know how much work would be involved.
I would love to see David's Caracas UFO sighting recreated using photos of the actual street. "It was salami-sized held at arms length!!"
Wow.

So what do you think? Valuable research tool or UFO Pron?

Well, I don't really have the base photo I'd need to do the Caracas reconstruction... and to be honest, time is a little tight right now. Then there's the problem that if I do it too well, someone will grab ahold of it and pass it off as a "genuine ufo" picture, which would not be a good thing. I'm not sure how devoting the time to creating such a shot would be useful for anything...

Thanks for the reply, David.
I suppose my request for good visual recreations is borne out of a sense of frustration at always being the "outsider" to UFO sightings and wanting to see, as accurately as possible, what the eyewitness/es saw, (with the word "Reconstruction" printed all over it to avoid hoaxing).
But it sounds as if the amount of Photoshop hours needed to recreate such images would be prohibitive, so maybe the game really isn't worth the candle?

BTW please don't think I was pressurizing you specifically for an image of your sighting! My comments were meant for sightings in general...although if you do ever get a few spare hours/days/months...The Paracast Community Forums
:rolleyes:

There's a fair number of illustrations of sightings out there. The UFO Evidence site has some. I saw a History Channel show on the 2000 Illinois Triangle sighting that used footage produced by a forensic digital reenactment company. A good portion of the episode was spent highlighting how the company produced the video (taking measurements and shooting footage from eyewitness's vantage points). The footage they produced was convincing in that it provided the viewer with the visual information necessary to imagine the sighting, but not too much so that it guides the viewer subjectively.

When you report a sighting to NUFORC, Peter Davenport requests any photos or illustrations you might have.

Undoubtedly, some sketch or illustration helps to enhance the eyewitness testimony; however, as David brought up, make it too good and it might get grabbed and played off as "real."

I saw Black Triangles in 2000 and recently used 3DS Max to produce a short animation of what I saw.

-todd

Back