• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Optics capabilities: ? for David

Free episodes:

Schuyler

Misanthrope
Not sure where to put this....

David,
Several times over the last few years I have come across statements about the quality of satellite imagery. One idea out there is that satellite optics are of a sufficiently high quality and resolution that they can take pictures of newspapers that are legible. Other people claim the optics are nowhere nearly as good as that. In light of Homeland Security launching a spy satellite recently, the question has arisen again.

My -uh- sources would suggest that satellite imagery is much better than commonly thought, but I'm not sure how good. My information could simply be hyperbole by people trying to sound impressive. In view of your experience do you have any information that could shed light on this? TIA

Not sure where to put this....

David,
Several times over the last few years I have come across statements about the quality of satellite imagery. One idea out there is that satellite optics are of a sufficiently high quality and resolution that they can take pictures of newspapers that are legible. Other people claim the optics are nowhere nearly as good as that. In light of Homeland Security launching a spy satellite recently, the question has arisen again.

My -uh- sources would suggest that satellite imagery is much better than commonly thought, but I'm not sure how good. My information could simply be hyperbole by people trying to sound impressive. In view of your experience do you have any information that could shed light on this? TIA

I've been following this also. I know when the film 'Enemy of the state' came out, Will Smith was saying how he had been shown an example of how a satelitte can read a newspaper or something, but then i remember hearing someone else say its all bunk.
Of course he was promoting a film, so he might say that, but it seems strange he would outright lie.

My opinion is that the stuff in the hands of the military is probably amazing enough to make me gasp, and I'm hard to impress.

dB

They've been saying that line about being able to "read the headlines off a newspaper" since the late 80s so even if they were boasting back then, it's a safe bet that's the reality now. Probably better.

Back