• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Nightvision / Infra-red

Rick Deckard

Paranormal Maven
I was just wondering if anyone has any views about the use of infra-red or night-vision cameras to 'search the skies'.

Time and again we see videos of 'lights in the sky' which could really be anything, but do you think we'd get better footage if infra-red technology was used rather than night-vision.

My understanding of night-vision is that it just amplifies the available light whereas infra-red looks at a completedly different wavelength spectrum (funnily enough, the infra-red spectrum). If a craft was seen at night wouldn't infrared still see it's shape defined by it's heat-signature contrasted with the 'cold' of the skies?

Does anyone know of any groups that actively watch the skies and if so, are they favouring one technology over the other?

If not, what do you think about giving infra-red a go?

Is infra-red technology expensive? Are civilians allowed to use it?

Weird - just looking at an infra-red camera website and noticed this demonstration image:

thermal-weapon-FLIR-sights.jpg

What's that next to his feet?

A micro-alien invasion? :)

Rick Deckard said:
I was just wondering if anyone has any views about the use of infra-red or night-vision cameras to 'search the skies'.

Time and again we see videos of 'lights in the sky' which could really be anything, but do you think we'd get better footage if infra-red technology was used rather than night-vision.

My understanding of night-vision is that it just amplifies the available light whereas infra-red looks at a completedly different wavelength spectrum (funnily enough, the infra-red spectrum). If a craft was seen at night wouldn't infrared still see it's shape defined by it's heat-signature contrasted with the 'cold' of the skies?

Does anyone know of any groups that actively watch the skies and if so, are they favouring one technology over the other?

If not, what do you think about giving infra-red a go?

Is infra-red technology expensive? Are civilians allowed to use it?

If able, using both is ideal. Either switching back and forth, or having two cams.

A lot of people mess up their ufo recording by zooming in all the way. This seems counter intuitive, but it actually makes things more out of focus and less clear.

I have night vision on my camcorder. I filmed my mother who is grey (hair, not as in alien:), but dyes her hair brown. On the video her hair turned out grey/white, which I found interesting.

An interesting story related to this:

Many years ago my friends and I went on a road trip to see the Marfa lights. For those who don't know, this is a somewhat well-known "paranormal" phenomenon that occurs in west TX near the desert city of Marfa. These strange lights have been seen by many people, and this phenomenon was featured on Unsolved Mysteries many years ago.

Anyway, we went there to see these lights, and at that time the only thing signifying the area to view these lights was a sign along the road and a gravel parking lot. We pulled over at about 10 or 11pm and looked around. There were a few other people there, but no clear indication of where we should look. We looked for about half an hour and it was getting extremely cold so we decided to leave. Exactly at that time I noticed a girl off in the distance standing on a picnic table with a video camera. I walked over and asked her if she was seeing anything. She said that she was doing a research piece for a website called disinformation.com (or disinfo.com?) and they were allowing her to use their video camera which had night vision on it.

She let me look through the camera... off in the distance straight ahead of us I could see nothing with my naked eyes, but when I looked through the camera, I could see these lights floating above the horizon line way off in the distance. They would float along, then blink out, then blink back on a certain distance away. They looked to be about 15 feet off the ground. She said you could come out on any given day and chances are pretty good that you'll be able to see them.

After looking through the camera, I began to be able to see them with my naked eyes, which was odd. Maybe they were just adjusting, but I had been standing outside for 30 minutes already.

My personal theory is that they are some sort of natural phenomenon, because I did not get the impression of intelligent guidance. Perhaps geomagnetic or something like that.

I went back several years later and they had built a fence around the parking lot and installed a bathroom. After waiting another 30 minutes I actually saw the lights again, I'm not sure what they could be.

Anyway, that experience along with my ufo sighting suggested to me that some sort of night-vision stuff would be really helpful for people hunting for ufo sightings.

BrandonD said:
Anyway, that experience along with my ufo sighting suggested to me that some sort of night-vision stuff would be really helpful for people hunting for ufo sightings.

I think you should try all three technologies; Night-Vision, Infra-Red and Ultraviolet - the sky could be swarming with UFO's that are only visible in those frequencies that are outside the human visual spectrum...

Many years ago my friends and I went on a road trip to see the Marfa lights. For those who don't know, this is a somewhat well-known "paranormal" phenomenon that occurs in west TX near the desert city of Marfa. These strange lights have been seen by many people, and this phenomenon was featured on Unsolved Mysteries many years ago.

The TV show Sightings dealt with it too. On that show a natural explanation was offered. Ball lighting being created via quarts in the rock as they shift. The effect is called, or at least similar to Piezoelectricity. Piezoelectricity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back