• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

new york times belief in evolution chart WOW at usa

W

wezzy

this is a chart on belief in evolution i stumbled upon recently (new york times i believe)

15evolgem5.jpg

look how low the united states is wth???
just ahead of turkey what an achievement

less then 50% believes in evolution?
how can a country that is so advanced in many aspects be so backwards when it comes to this?

glad in live in Europe (Belgium yay)

is this somewhat accurate to reality:eek:

wezzy said:
this is a chart on belief in evolution i stumbled upon recently (new york times i believe)

15evolgem5.jpg

look how low the united states is wth???
just ahead of turkey what an achievement

less then 50% believes in evolution?
how can a country that is so advanced in many aspects be so backwards when it comes to this?

glad in live in Europe (Belgium yay)

is this somewhat accurate to reality:eek:

where in belgium. i was born and raised in brussels!

Last month's issue of WIRED Mag also featured the same thing. The same chart. i guess its just that it is being featured prominently in the US media these days, thats all. here in europe there are a lot of ppl who have problems with evolution as well. but its just that it is non issue and media does not give time to the ridiculous argument against evolution.

neuromancer said:
where in belgium. i was born and raised in brussels!

Last month's issue of WIRED Mag also featured the same thing. The same chart. i guess its just that it is being featured prominently in the US media these days, thats all. here in europe there are a lot of ppl who have problems with evolution as well. but its just that it is non issue and media does not give time to the ridiculous argument against evolution.

Antwerp (flanders) :)

i think its mostly the immigrants in Belgium that are still religious (muslims coming over here generally stay religious)

i haven't encountered any young native Belgian person EVER that doesn't believe in evolution lol

99% its todays old people who still believe with the young generation thats almost unheard of...unlike usa wow

wezzy said:
Antwerp (flanders) :)

i think its mostly the immigrants in Belgium that are still religious (muslims coming over here generally stay religious)

i haven't encountered any young native Belgian person EVER that doesn't believe in evolution lol

99% its todays old people who still believe with the young generation thats almost unheard of...unlike usa wow

ur rite! i was talkin about germans and the english. its true with most belgians, dutch and the nordic countries in general

The US has a lot of Christian fundamentalists, so belief in evolution is low.

Reminds me of Bill Hicks mocking fundalmentalists. Fundamentalists: "I believe God created me in one day. Bill: "Looks like he rushed it."

A.LeClair said:
The US has a lot of Christian fundamentalists, so belief in evolution is low.

Reminds me of Bill Hicks mocking fundalmentalists. Fundamentalists: "I believe God created me in one day. Bill: "Looks like he rushed it."

yea i've seen that clip

"god put the dinosaur bones there to test our faith":p
"the earth is 12000 years old because we counted the timeline of the ages of the people in the bible etc"

its kind of sad that if you want to be president in the usa and you don't worship "jesus our lord" you have pretty much zero chance to win an election cause you lose the religious majority:eek:

wezzy said:
yea i've seen that clip

"god put the dinosaur bones there to test our faith":p
"the earth is 12000 years old because we counted the timeline of the ages of the people in the bible etc"

its kind of sad that if you want to be president in the usa and you don't worship "jesus our lord" you have pretty much zero chance to win an election cause you lose the religious majority:eek:

What ever happened to the theory that the Earth is 6,000 years old? Or has that fallen by the wayside now?

Gene Steinberg said:
What ever happened to the theory that the Earth is 6,000 years old? Or has that fallen by the wayside now?

A person posted a link to a museum that displays the Earth as 6000 years old not long ago.

Many creationist (if not all by definition) believe the Earth is 6000 years old.

Here's a google search on the Earth being 6000 years old.
earth 6000 years old - Google Search

Gene Steinberg said:

i think for the most part the majority believes its 6000 years..but in the bill hicks clip i believe he said 12000 :)

heres the clip on youtube its short and funny have a look :)

wezzy said:
i think for the most part the majority believes its 6000 years..but in the bill hicks clip i believe he said 12000 :)

I suppose such matters as carbon dating are not readily understood by these people -- or they think it's the work of the devil :rolleyes:

wezzy said:

Can we post links to vids with swearing in it? I didn't think we could. Funny, I had a Carlin clip the other day I wanted to post, but didn't due to cussing etc. I sent it to David instead.

Gene Steinberg said:
I suppose such matters as carbon dating are not readily understood by these people -- or they think it's the work of the devil :rolleyes:

no matter how many facts you throw at them its pointless to go into a debate with a religious zealot

i've tried a few times...theres just something totally weird about these guys they seem brainwashed beyond recovery

i just don't try anymore...the chance to talk some sense into these people is slim to none in the vast majority of the cases

everything that supports science/evolution is a trick of satan folks:p

wezzy said:
no matter how many facts you throw at them its pointless to go into a debate with a religious zealot

i've tried a few times...theres just something totally weird about these guys they seem brainwashed beyond recovery

i just don't try anymore...the chance to talk some sense into these people is slim to none in the vast majority of the cases

Maybe a large amount of people in the US wouldn't say they believe in evolution because they don't like the idea that we came from monkeys. Evolution is, after all, a theory. But I think it's the best theory in town.

But I wouldn't say most buy into that trick of Satan argument. That is an extreme minority...its just that a minority of any kind in the US still constitutes several million people because of the population!

By the way, I spent some time in rural Belgium in the summers of 1989 and 1999 (around Barvaux sur Ourthe, Luxembourg Province I think)...I love the countryside!

wezzy said:

Reasoning with zealots is always an exercise in futility, whether they are religious fundamentalist creationists or rabid Darwinian Disciples of the Sacred Gamete. Neither side can conclusively prove the central tenet of their belief systems by strict adherence to the full requirements the scientific method, but that doesn't stop either side from attacking, abusing, mocking and belittling the opposition.
So pick your tribe, grab a rock, and start bashing skulls.

wezzy said:

Unless it SUPPORTS biblical teachings, in which case it's absolute proof of the existence of God. Ah... hypocrisy... so soothing...

Brian Now said:
Maybe a large amount of people in the US wouldn't say they believe in evolution because they don't like the idea that we came from monkeys. Evolution is, after all, a theory. But I think it's the best theory in town.

Pixel posted something funny recently.

"9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say
that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no
problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from
dirt. "

More at this thread if anyone cares.
http://theparacast.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780&page=3

Brian Now said:

But I wouldn't say most buy into that trick of Satan argument. That is an extreme minority...its just that a minority of any kind in the US still constitutes several million people because of the population!

By the way, I spent some time in rural Belgium in the summers of 1989 and 1999 (around Barvaux sur Ourthe, Luxembourg Province I think)...I love the countryside!

not just monkeys essentially if you go further we came from just microscopic bacteria/molecules/lifeforms

you COULD say our great great great great........ancestors are bacteria:p
but thats the thing i guess that would give creationists nightmares if you mention that in a conversation

Back