• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

New Strange experience that just happened to me AND Hubby!

Bixyboo

Skilled Investigator
Hey all, My cell phone was 'stolen' a few days ago and the way it came back is akin to a cool ghost story! Check this out!

Friday night Dec 18th 2009 at about 10pm or so, we were doing some late Xmas shopping for coats at a popular coat store.

Well, one coat I tried on and I stupidly placed my phone in the pocket of the new coat, then didn't replace my cell back onto my jeans pocket after removing and re-hanging the coat!

Well less than 15 mins later, (tho in a different area of the store), I realized I didn't have my phone on me! I hurried to the coats and me and hubby did a lengthy search of several rows of coat pockets.

No phone.

I started to panic and tried in vain to retrace my exact steps to zero in on what coat it was in, but with no success.

Meanwhile hubby kept calling my phone and walking down the aisles trying to hear it ring.
(Thank GOD I had JUST turned it on from vibrate to loud ring only a few minutes before I had lost my phone!).

But he couldn't hear it anywhere.

Yet he kept ringing the phone hoping something would happen (maybe someone else near it would hear it).

Well on the 15th or so call to my phone, some guy answered it! Hubby started talking to him.
I walked up to hubby and heard him say to the caller: 'You know where the women's coats are? *pauses, then says a bit irately* No, you have my wife's phone!'

But then he handed the phone to me and said: 'Here, you talk to him, he speaks Spanish'

So I took the phone and said 'Allo?' in a Spanish accent and heard the guy say 'Hello' back to me and kind of hmm and hah a little bit. So I told him in paniced and bad Spanish 'You have my phone? Give me my phone'

He made a noise back like he heard me, but I think I surprised him by speaking Spanish when perhaps he didn't expect it or something, I don't know. Then silence on the line.

I took the phone away from my ear and told hubby: 'He hung up'. He then hung up the phone and re-dialed my number and walked around the store to see if he could find a guy who might be on my phone or looked suspicious. He found no one fitting this.

We were kind of stunned that my phone was stolen, AND that the guy had the nerve to even answer it!?

Yet, we were kind of relieved, as we'd've had to spend probably more hours searching every coat pocket in the store, when since the guy answered, we knew to stop looking and that he must have kept it.

So we quietly fumed about my phone being stolen and I was quietly kicking myself for my stupidity of putting and leaving my phone in a new coat pocket, as well.

Upon leaving, we told the store about the incident and left a contact number should it be found/returned to the store lost/found.

So I called my cell phone provider and had the phone immediately shut off and was given a web address and a phone number to have a new phone sent in to me (from Ins).

I didn't get a chance to call that night to order the new phone.

The next day, we continued our Xmas shopping and other errands, and I tried to call the number to order the new phone. But I kept messing up the automatic menu selection, and we had a bunch of stuff to do, so I hung up.

Another day passes, and that day (Sun) we're about to leave town for a few days, it was morning, and I was just about to go online and order my phone before we start packing.

Hubby's phone rings and it's some woman who had bought a coat as a gift for someone in her family and upon wrapping up the coat, she finds MY phone in the pocket of it! She said it took forever to figure out who to contact but she found the first one in my Contact List and calls it (my hubby) from her phone.

So we go pick it up, thanking her profusely for it, and we continue our preparations to leave town.

Well, I look into every history option, Last call options, etc of my phone to see when it was last used.

NO history of any outgoing or incoming calls were on it! (not even hubby calling it a zillion times!?). And I have that enabled, it normally shows every incoming/outgoing call I make on it!

I find I have a voicemail and I listen to it.

....The voicemail is my hubby and I saying everything we said when the 'Spanish guy' answered my phone!

BUT...it's all one-sided! You don't hear the 'spanish guy' yet you hear us responding to him!

WEIRD and CREEEEPY, huh?

I saved the voicemail if anyone would like to hear it!

I'm just soooo glad that my phone has been returned, but isn't that strange?

We kept trying to figure out what may have happened:

1) A Spanish guy (and maybe an illegal alien? lol) was walking by and answered the phone, then got scared for some reason, hung up and put the phone back in the coat (or another coat's) pocket.

2) Maybe he knew how to use my phone (not that easy to use, btw) and erased the call histories before replacing it in the coat, too?

3) And maybe he was with the lady who bought the coat?

4) If that were the case, how in the world could only our side be on my voicemail.

Btw: The voice recorder was NOT on/enabled in my cell, and even if it happened to be, the recording would be in an entirely different section/menu of my phone, NOT in my voicemail.
Also: The only 'greeting' I have on my voicemail is the computerized one that comes with the phone. I never recorded my own greeting, nor was there any previous one on there.

I know that there probably is some tech reason that the call went to voicemail, but one would KNOW they are not talking to a live person, (as in maybe we were talking to a strange pre-recorded greeting on it or something) and that was NOT the case, here!

Very strange, huh? My story was submitted (along with the vm) to a popular Ghost Story Podcast, btw. :)

I hope you don't take offense, but the day my wife, Lisa (which is what I call her) starts referring to me as "hubby", I will lop off my "member" and crawl into a hole to die. You know what comes after "hubby"? Matching sweaters and mugs. Very scary.

Back