• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

My first not so usual nocturnal light

Elendil

Paranormal Maven
Ok ppl, I basically had a pseudo-sighting of something this evening. I never saw anything similar and never had any UFO sightings or any weird occurrences happen so far.
Anywayz, I went to a sports complex located in a northern part of my hometown to practice some healthy livin', at about 21hCentral European Time. When I finished the jogging routine, I went onto a part of the complex set to the side of the track where spectators can sit down and watch - it's basically a couple of wide concrete blocks forming a spectators' arena. I sat on the last block and decided to do some crunches - something I quite often do on them blocks after running. It was about 22h and there were still people running on the track. Some guy was shooting hoops on a basketball courtyard some 50 meters from where I was sitting. Even though it was basically dark, there was still some light on the horizon. The sky had a dark bluish black shade, it was totally clear and the stars were totally visible.

Now and then I could see some planes with the standard lighting coming to and from the airport, always blinking. But at about 22.03 I saw a light which was somewhat odd. It was moving in a straight line across the sky and it seemed to be higher than the planes and it seemed to move faster. It had a constant glow, no blinking at all. Suddenly it stopped and started to vertically descent downward. The glow became stronger and brighter, it was quite interesting. It was the first time I have seen anything like it so I closed and rubbed my eyes just in case - the light was still descending. Then I looked around to see if someone else noticed - but the people were still running and I could hear that the guy on the court was casually playing the ball. When I returned my gaze, the light seemed to stop the descent and continued to move forward and after a couple of seconds just faded out - I couldn't see it anymore. The whole thing maybe lasted for 7-10 seconds.

I am fucking super-excited, I guess I've seen some natural phenomenon - maybe a meteor or something. Or maybe some reflection, or even an army plane doing some strange maneuvering. I guess the space bros are not even a remotely likely option since the light didn't manifest any weird/impossible maneuvering, the only thing which is weird is the vertical descent and the increase in brightness plus the fading out, but I guess that could be a meteor or maybe a flare. Or maybe some kinda rocket or something since it was moving horizontally twice. Anyways, whatever it was - it was exciting and my first time seeing anything strange in the sky. Your opinions and thoughts please, maybe someone can help identify a natural phenomenon. :)

And I also learned a nice sighting lesson. My cellphone was right at my side, playing music through the headphones which I removed halfway through the incident just to see if I could hear anything - but I couldn't - just the basketball pounding on the court. Maybe that sound killed a potential engine sound from the sky. But, during the sighting I was so shocked and excited that it didn't occur to me to take my cell phone and record/take a picture. Truth be told, even if I did that, it wouldn't mean jack shit since it was too dark for my phone to capture anything, but now I understand better people who see something strange and don't come up with any pictures or anything more than a witness account...

Um... sorry nobody answered this, Elendil (I hope you're still on the forum), the thread just escaped my attention. I'm actually quite interested in "nocturnal lights" and not willing to shrug them off because "they might be anything" While most of the sightings may indeed be misinterpretations of aircraft, chinese lanterns etc., there is IMO definitely ones which are something as yet "unknown to science". Mostly I'm thinking of the phenomena reported from places like Hessdalen etc., but it seems that there's a good chance that you can get these anywhere on a clear night (although they seem to prefer remote places).

It's a shame your sighting didn't last longer, so I can't rule out the possibilty that it was something like a helicopter with searchlight or the natural phenomena you mentioned, so this sighting would fall into my "could have been anything" basket, I guess.

But thanks for sharing the sighting and for the detailed and lively description.

Sorry, but I seemed to have missed the original post as well. What you describe did not behave like a meteor or satellite. A helicopter might be a possibility. But they usually display colored lights.

It's also possible that an aircraft turned to make a descent, either directly toward or away from you. Sometimes only landing lights are visible at a distance, especially in areas of light pollution. But yeah--you can honestly place this in the unknown basket.

Amazing. No way to know what it was so I'd leave the question open.

Great learning, my last sighting years ago created a similar response -- not even an attempt to grab my cell phone.

It's just not how the brain is wired.

Back