• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Kelley Johnson Case Research : 3D model

Ron Collins

Curiously Confused
Hi Guys,

I am a few days away from having my 3D model and explanation finished. After many many hours of contemplating and drawing things out I can see that this is not nearly as straight forward as I originally believed. I want this to be a useful tool and so it needs to be well thought out. So I would like to get your opinions.

There is going to be quite a lot of math formula that we need to figure out. I have not committed to a particular language yet as I need to see what math is needed. Some languages have better math support than others. I have decided on a MySQL DBMS though. Perhaps a display layer in PHP.

I am on the lookout for low cost or free graphing software with X, Y, and Z capability. If you have any suggestions or recommendations please let me know.

Thanks,
Ron

Also, if there are other members you believe could contribute to this effort, please let me know who they are and I will add them to the group. I made this an invite group only so it would not turn into a rolling tangent.

Thanks,
Ron

The accompanying link is to a 3D rendering of the logical box. The large purple ball is the beginning approximation. Starting at 00:00:01 you see the width of the box left and right of the original marker is established. Then the perspective changes and you start to see the fore and aft depth of the box being established. At 00:00:04 each GPS point is established making the middle altitude shelf. Then you see the other altitude shelves being established. Each shelf is a different color grouping. Finally I connect the dots with a translucent line showing the structure. The we do a perspective fly around to show the entire box.

[video]http://www.dh22.com/pmatrix.mov[/video]

Let me know what questions you have. I am working on one to illustrate how i se it being applied to the case. I just wanted to show a visual reference for the

Thanks,
Ron

Quick note: Each point is a data point in the database. The idea is to construct one of these for multiple times during the sighting thus giving 2 areas of probability to run calculations.

Graphing software? You might try

Octave

or

Sage: Open Source Mathematics Software

Personally I recommend sage, but you may wish to install it on a linux machine since the win32 distribution is just a vmware image.
Octave is a matlab clone which will work nicely--it has a very easy scripting language and plotting tool.

Excellent start btw-->now I have a better visual idea of what you are trying to accomplish.

Thanks!

Back