• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Is Your Message Missing?

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
On Saturday afternoon (Eastern time zone), we moved from our Virtual (or VPS) Web server to a dedicated box. This means that we occupy that computer all by ourselves, with nothing to share.

As a result, our sites will display more rapidly in your browser, your messages will post with greater alacrity, and we'll have fewer slowdowns in the download process when a new show archive is posted.

However, in moving from one server to another, it appears a few messages were left in the older database and didn't make the transition. So if your message is somehow missing, it's not because we did anything evil. You'll just need to post again. I've already written some of you about that, by the way.

In addition, until the new IP addresses propagate through the aging DNS system around the world, you might still encounter the older version of the site for a short time, but we have blocked posting on it, so that shouldn't be a problem. If this happens to you, delete your browser's cache, quit the browser and relaunch it. That should fix at least some of the legacy issues.

We hope.

I'd also like to thank my good buddy, Denis Motova, the ace Web dude at www.hostican.com, for making this transition so painless.

Paranormal Packrat said:
No probs here yet, but the main page looked messed up. It just had letters and numdbers nothing else really.

There are alternate definitions for DNS that are not quite as pleasant, and indicate, to me, how dated this silly system really is.

As of today, when I write this, my e-mail isn't fully sorted out. And consider that all we did was move from one server to another, in the same datacenter, and the physical location of the two was probably less than a few feet. But because they have different IP numbers, the creaking Internet structure must deal with that change. The host and the datacenter are both slaves to that system.

Oh well. On to the next adventure.

I wanted to add that the physical location of our previous server and the current one is actually closer to six inches apart; they're in the same "rack" with one other server between them. An enterprise computer server is usually not a tower, but something closer in shape to a rectangular pancake, if anyone cares. :)

Back