• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

I am ashamed of the Earth race

Free episodes:

Lavarat

Skilled Investigator
I have been in this mood lately in deep thought about the how our race the human race one of great flaw. With great belief that there are aliens that outsmart us each step of the way. How do they do it well I suppose they dont destroy themselves. If any race came from another planet I just imagine what they think when they look at how we act, we are basically disfunctional here on Earth.

I guess what I am thinking of is the 1.3 other species on this planet that us humans seem to always not remember. If there are other beings in the universe than my opinion all species of animals on earth are all relevant life. Not forgetting that Dinosaurs once controlled this planet.

Anyways I apologize for the soppy thread but just in that kind of mood lately

Sorry you're feeling a little down, Lavarat.

Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional. Humans, besides being self-destructive, are also caring, inventive, curious, dramatic, sometimes hilarious in their disorder, kooky, spooky, witty and generally beautiful in the order of things. We evolve, get stuck, mutate, originate, bloviate, grow, slow, mature, kill, populate, denigrate, create, deflate. We are quite a show of the best and the worst.

In the end, those aliens are pretty boring. No wonder they find us so interesting. In spite of the worst behaviors, I really like humans. Most of us "get it." Life is for living well. It takes fortitude and attitude, but everyone has it in him. Except the boring aliens.

I agree with most of what you said I just have to say that humans can be inventive but our inventions cause problems. Some are good people, but 1.3 milliion other species of animal occupy this planet also

I guess you're saying that humanity has harmed 1.3 million species of animal, but I'm not sure. Would you like to clarify?

Look on the bright side. With all their million years of evolution and technology they still don't know how to drive those damn saucers.

Why does everyone seem to assume that aliens are beyond violence? Maybe all those crashes happened because they were shooting each other down. Maybe they are secretly involved in our governments but they keep us fighting so they can breed the most efficient warrior race. Maybe they are buzzing around because our pain amuses them. Maybe they aren't any better or any worse than us, only a little older and luckier with much cooler toys.

I just posted what is probably the longest post in this forums history that has a little to do with this topic. I think it is silly to think that an alien race visiting us has to be uber superior to us in every way. Just as there are people who would wage war there are people who simply could not. Rambo and Gandhi. Dont fall into the Star Trek, each race can be reduced to a couple of stereotypes, routine. Where there is the concept of peace, there is the concept of war. The ying and the yang.

We should not be ashamed. Who is to say that other civilizations out there are any better?

If the universe is infinitely diverse you would have alien civilizations who are peaceful and some who are war mongers. Some interesting wood carvings from medieval Germany depict spheres and cylinders waging war in the sky. Most mythologies of Gods who come from the sky include stories of warfare and gods with every single human flaw in existence.

Technology is no guarantee of enlightenment. Take our own example. Small European nation-states with superior navigation and military technology manage to conquer most of the indigenous tribes of Earth as well as some less technically advanced but large sophisticated ones like China. In almost every case the native cultures were either wiped out or had every facet of their society changed. We're talking economic systems, religious institutions, government systems, etc. Did the conquers bring enlightenment? In most cases more harm than good resulted.

I like to use our own human history as an microcosm example of the Universe. Why should I? Hey, it's the only one I know. Earth is a diverse planet. Nations with different geography, resources, languages, and cultures. Some get along others wage war. I believe that the universe is probably not that different. There are many planets out there and many of them probably have space faring civilizations. But the development of civilizations don't go in parallel. Some will be more advanced than others. Some will be resource poor (England, Japan) and depend on trade or warfare to obtain the things they need.

So far we've managed to survive the Cold War without blowing ourselves up. Terrorism is a pin prick threat to the existence of mankind. Global warming and resource competition are the greatest threat right now. But I am optimistic that we can come up with solutions if we put our energies behind it. Maybe it'll take things getting really bad before things get done but usually that is what happens in the world.

I think we are in a critical stage in our development as a species. We went from feudal agrarian to nation states to industrial revolution to computer revolution. The next stage will have to be energy revolution. There are many technologies out there now or under development that can make a big difference. You don't need zero-point energy machines or some exotic technology to achieve zero net energy consumption or zero carbon footprint. You just need to make this stuff cheap enough through mass production to make it cost less than oil or coal. Watch the Eco-Science series on the Science channel. Really awesome inspiring stuff. Ignore the hippie commune houses made from old tires.

We don't need aliens to bail us out. First, you have to assume that they are going to save us. If you think they are looking out for the betterment of our species then I have to say they haven't done a very good job. I don't see how anal probes and cattle mutilations really help us. Do they broadcast a message on CNN on how to solve our energy problems. No, they make cryptic symbols in crop fields that no one understands. Do they land in Central Park and greet the world with messages of peace. No, they talk to one-arm farmers with a 3rd grade education. Or they give all the good stuff to the secret governments of the world who subsequently horde all the knowledge. Disclosure my ass. Ain't going to happen.

Back