• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Human memory

boomerang

Paranormal Adept
Below is a link to a one of the world's foremost experts on repressed/hidden human memory and also the use of therapy and hypnosis to retrieve buried memories. Anyone interested in the abduction phenomenon might do well to consider research done by Dr Loftus and others on the creation of false memories with guided imagery and yes--hypnosis.

Elizabeth Loftus has been a paid consultant for police departments and other legal agencies in matters where accuracy of eyewitness testimony is crucial.

I'm not saying her views are the last word on abduction. But we would be remiss to ignore the kind of solid research done by Dr. Loftus in studying this enigma.

ADD: Bear with the first 10 seconds or so of Oprah and a "Skip" button will appear. Unless, of course, you want to watch Oprah.

Interesting. But, I do have some reservations about it. First would be the fact that just because you "plant" or say you plant a false memory doesn't make all memory false. Seems silly to say but, James Randi has made a cottage industry of "faking" something and therefore dismissing everything else as false.
Second: You have to feel or have proof a therapist is doing this. Just because you do it yourself doesn't prove all therapist are doing it. Third: Having worked in the mental health field I promise you that most children "DON"T" go around making up stories of momma and daddy and uncle Bob doodling them. I would shudder to think we would throw away a potential tool just because of some horror stories or experiments that are looking for a certain outcome and then find that outcome. I also think some of the posters on the youtube video brought up some legitimate questions about this study. Now, would I throw it out? NO! Some terrific points here. But, let me give you an example of my own "childhood" memories. The first happened in rural Alabama. I was outside and saw a large black butterfly. I then remember seeing large teeth. Now, first of all as an adult I know enough to understand I did not see a butterfly with teeth. So, just having a "faulty" recollection of something didn't automatically make me a believer in butterflies with teeth. I understand that the memory is convoluted and the actual experience is different than the "memory" I have. How different? I don't know. More than likely I did see a black butterfly. But, the teeth come from either a dream or a completely different aspect of that day. Some researchers don't give the human mind enough credit when it comes to sorting out fact from fiction. Still, she says there are some people who believe a completely false memory. I'm confident that is true. I'm just not seeing it as a catch all for everything a person remembers. I still believe there is some therapeutic value to hypnosis. But, it is very easy to abuse. Still there were once scientist who said psychiatry itself was a psuedo science. I just don't like throwing the baby out with the bath water. Still, I am not attacking this researcher. Just throwing some questions out there.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

But, let me hasten to add I am very, very skeptical of abduction experiences. It's one of those things that I find highly unlikely. Still, I also understand false memories can be planted and therapist can "lead" the subject. It's just that I see a lot of anti-hypnosis on this board and most of us don't (I don't)really, truly understand the mechanism very well. Anyway, good post and I'll hush now cause I'm in waaay over my head. :cool:

tyder, Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. Sounds like we are pretty much in agreement. I just wish abduction researchers and readers of the books they write would take a more skeptical view of memories "retrieved" under hypnosis.

Back