• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Honeypots in the ufo literature.

dorkbot

Skilled Investigator
I'm interested in pointers to any discussion of honeypots or honey traps as may exist in the ufo literature, whether it just be speculation, theory, successful or unsuccessful attempts. This could be either attempts to essentially bait actual ufos or attempts of a sociological nature such as hoaxes designed to see who comes looking. I know some people would probably consider the MJ-12 stuff to be a honey trap but I have enough references to that material already. If you recall specific tales of such, please elaborate.

dorkbot said:
I'm interested in pointers to any discussion of honeypots or honey traps as may exist in the ufo literature, whether it just be speculation, theory, successful or unsuccessful attempts. This could be either attempts to essentially bait actual ufos or attempts of a sociological nature such as hoaxes designed to see who comes looking. I know some people would probably consider the MJ-12 stuff to be a honey trap but I have enough references to that material already. If you recall specific tales of such, please elaborate.

I'm not familiar with the term you used, but yes there have been plenty if I understand you correctly.

John Mack got fooled by a journalist posing as an abductee. She waited til he gave a conference with a lot of his colleges, stud up and said she's a fake.

A blimp made to look like a flying saucer was flown over the UK several years ago in order to see how many people would think it's a ufo.

Pen and Teller did a Bigfoot hoax recently, if you're interested in honey traps outside of ufos.

Brian Bessent claims to have did his hoax in order to expose, or test the competency, or incompetency of ufologists. Many think he's full of crap though.

Some think Serpo might have been something like a honey trap.

Bill Moore might have been involved in some. Other than Majestic twelve. Too much to go into from memory however. Perhaps Micheal Wolf was involved in some too.

Adam Sandler launched a bunch of Balloons at some wedding, or party in order to draw away the media's attention. Tom Petty wrecked his car being fooled by them, thinking they were ufos.

Some here think Korff is setting people up currently with his behavior. I'm not one of them.

Loads of people have set off lit balloons in order to measure ufo hysteria. No names come to mind. Usually just amateurs.

Ah, thanks. I hadn't heard that Adam Sandler story before. Actually I'm less interested in hoaxes done by debunker types and more interested in stuff that has been attempted by people doing ufo research but feel free to add anything that sounds similar.

If I could add a little about the serpo project. The idea here is that UFO secrets were being leaked to the outside. The Guys in Charge (GIC) wanted to figure out where the leaks were coming from. So they concocted the Serpo story which is all about an exchange program between 'us' and "THEM" They pieced out details over many different avenues. They could then study the pattern of the leaks, determine their origin, and determine their dispersal into the UFO 'community'. Pretty slick idea.

The consensus now is that serpo is a hoax, and this is one of the possibilities of how it evolved. However, quite a few people were taken in by this and even now, there are believers who will say stuff like, "Well, Serpo might not have happened quite like that, but I KNOW an exchange program actually did take place." How they know is as much a mystery as the original story.

dorkbot said:
Ah, thanks. I hadn't heard that Adam Sandler story before. Actually I'm less interested in hoaxes done by debunker types and more interested in stuff that has been attempted by people doing ufo research but feel free to add anything that sounds similar.

Greer sings Koombayah numee numee etc. in hopes to bring ET to our home. He claims it's worked. I've seen no evidence for his claim though.

There have been some sky watches where people have lasers, spot lights, and good ol flash lights in hopes of bringing in aliens. None have been very successful as far as I'm concerned.

MUFON sorta used Ed Walters as bait before. It was almost successful. They went for ice cream though and that's when the aliens came and Probed Ed, or whatever they did, I forget.

A.LeClair said:
MUFON sorta used Ed Walters as bait before. It was almost successful. They went for ice cream though and that's when the aliens came and Probed Ed, or whatever they did, I forget.

Erm... What? "The aliens came and Probed Ed", because of ice cream? Could you explain that a bit more..?

musictomyears said:
Erm... What? "The aliens came and Probed Ed", because of ice cream? Could you explain that a bit more..?

No, Falcon and Condor would have you think they probe for ice cream, but not me.

From memory. MUFON members did a sky watch in Gulf Breeze with Ed. They were suppose to never leave his side. He was bait after all, and they were trying to establish if he's a hoaxer or not. Well, the Mufon members got hungry and that crushed their obligation of any duty I guess. So, the Mufon members briefly left to get ice cream. Yum. Of course Ed has a close encounter while they're gone. I think he took photos with the stereo sealed shut camera then too. It's been awhile since I read about the event. It's in one of the Gulf Breeze books.

Back