• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Great job on the new front page Gene

Gareth

Nothin' to see here
(assuming it was you who made the changes Gene:D)

I figured you might want some feedback. I really like the front page and the archive now. Lots of space and easy to find what youre looking for. On top of that, I remember when I first found this place last year and I HAD to listen to every episode.... if it was like it is now it would have been a lot easier to keep track of what I had heard.... simply take them in monthly packages.

Another feature that would be cool (and would take a lot of work) would be to give each guest their own mini-info page. Click on, say, Mac Tonnies name and you get his page with a photo / bio / some books theyve written / as well as a short synopsis of the contents of each of their interviews. Under the date of the interview would have a couple paragraphs on what was discussed etc.

Heaps of work I know, and probably not really necessary I guess.

I figured you might want some feedback. I really like the front page and the archive now. Lots of space and easy to find what youre looking for. On top of that, I remember when I first found this place last year and I HAD to listen to every episode.... if it was like it is now it would have been a lot easier to keep track of what I had heard.... simply take them in monthly packages.

Another feature that would be cool (and would take a lot of work) would be to give each guest their own mini-info page. Click on, say, Mac Tonnies name and you get his page with a photo / bio / some books theyve written / as well as a short synopsis of the contents of each of their interviews. Under the date of the interview would have a couple paragraphs on what was discussed etc.

Heaps of work I know, and probably not really necessary I guess.
It's a collaborative effort, really, but most of the heavy-lifting was done by Rich Gunn, whom most of our regulars know by his online moniker of Rick Deckard. In his real life, he's a skilled Web programmer. What he did, which was to transition our "static" pages to WordPress, involved creating a fairly complicated set of theme templates.

There are still a few things that he's working on to clean up the pages still further, but you're seeing about 98% of the final look, and I'm extremely grateful for all his hard work.

As to having mini pages for guests, it does represent a lot of work. Our best alternative, really, is just to provide links, when available, to their own sites, so you can easily look up more material about them. Some of our guests, however, don't have a Web presence yet, so maybe we'll see if we can do something different in the future.

More credits to listeners who helped us way beyond the call of duty: Banning Stuckey for the new, Flash-free navigation bars on our sites, and Bob Heck, who built our online store.

You could've subscribed to the RSS feed as well :)

I like the formatting on the front page as well. Nice work Gene & Co. How about extending this to the podcast Episode Name metadata so it makes the titles easier to skim inside iTunes and devices.

For example:
2009/03/15 - George Knapp
2009/03/08 - Don Ecker
2009/03/15 - Stephen Bassett Splits Open and Melts
2009/02/22 - Richard Dolan

rather than ...

The Paracast Mar 15, 2009
The Paracast Mar 8, 2009
The Paracast Mar 1, 2009
The Paracast Feb 22, 2009

I realize in most cases a user will only keep a single episode on their device, but your show is so damn good i keep multiple shows at a time.

I like the formatting on the front page as well. Nice work Gene & Co. How about extending this to the podcast Episode Name metadata so it makes the titles easier to skim inside iTunes and devices.

For example:
2009/03/15 - George Knapp
2009/03/08 - Don Ecker
2009/03/15 - Stephen Bassett Splits Open and Melts
2009/02/22 - Richard Dolan

rather than ...

The Paracast Mar 15, 2009
The Paracast Mar 8, 2009
The Paracast Mar 1, 2009
The Paracast Feb 22, 2009

I realize in most cases a user will only keep a single episode on their device, but your show is so damn good i keep multiple shows at a time.
Thanks for the suggestion. We'll certainly look into it -- seriously. :)

Back