• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Grays and Plejarans use Macs. Real people use Wintel boxes

Ubuntu vs Mac OS X

(High bar, but very much in GNOME's sights.)

? Macintosh hardware integration is far better: they only have to support a few configurations, they have all the specs, the hardware is designed to work with the OS and it's attractive in its own right. Plug a TV into the composite port and it just works. Sleep/hibernate just works.

? The Mac GUI is really beautifully polished, both visually and ergonomically. GNOME is getting better but isn't there yet: fonts on X11 used to be awful and are now OK.

+ On the other hand, you don't need to buy new hardware, PC hardware is cheaper per cycle, and you can reboot into Windows to play games.

+ Linux is now the standard Unix. Ubuntu is more consistent with what's likely to be running on your servers. Linux is faster on some benchmarks, but all benchmarks are bogus, and particularly so for desktops.

+ Linux utilities tend to be free, not annoying $10 shareware. (OK, I know about Fink, but still.)

+ Better (though slightly less consistent) keyboard navigation.

+ Less Macintosh historical baggage. OS X suffers some friction between the Mac and Unix parts, in for example handling case sensitivity or resource forks. (Mac apps can be in the wierd state of running but having no windows open, which seems to me of very marginal benefit. It's debatable.)

? No single-source 1-800 support.

? No pretty PDF alpha-blended display (yet), but I'll live. Less consistency in the GUI (though it's coming). Not every program runs under GNOME, so there's likely to be some inconsistent GUI toolkits popping up for some time.

? Some functions just have no GUI configuration tools at all: configuring wireless or a VPN may require sudo vi .

+ If something annoys you, you can patch it yourself.

+ The defaults are good, but more of them can be changed; if you don't want Nautilus or Metacity you can just install something else. That's harder/more scary on Mac OS.

+ Both GNOME and OS X are more attractive than Windows. GNOME is probably a slightly easier transition for Windows users, though neither would be very hard.

http://sourcefrog.net/weblog/software/ubuntu/compared.html

I like building pc's and tinkering with code/settings/problem solving. I CHOSE Ubuntu Linux over Mac and WinVistaPC for that reason.

Why can't people see that there are different computers/operating systems for different uses/people/situations. If I was doing movie editing or graphic design I'd use a Mac if I was playing high end FPS games I'd get a Voodoo or Falcon northwest PC. If I was plunking numbers into an excel spreadsheet in a 50 person drone office I'd use a dumb WinTel box. If I wanted a free os to browse the inkernets, serve mp3's to my network, or to run some hand rolled application, I'd choose a light linux distro on an old PC.

To each his/her own.

Back