• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Gardening & Herb Cultivation.

Goody

Sailor Of Mind & Time
I thought that because i'd picked up a few nice 'Thai chili plants' in the last couple of weeks & have been looking after them; that i'd dedicate a thread to the topic of 'Gardening & Herb Cultivation'.

Here you can discuss whatever it is you grow/have grown or are thinking about growing. Also discuss cooking with herbs, herbal remedies & what strains of plants/herbs you prefere the most.

I managed to get a lush '1 foot' Thai chilli plant for $5 AUD! It's already blooming & i'm in the process of transferring it into a larger pot with some fresh potting mix so it can bloom to higher dimensions. I also picked up some 'sweet basil' which has a very pungent aroma even from a distance & just some good old 'rocket' which is always excellant for stirfry's. I also bought a nice 'Amigo Birds Eye' chili plant that is in excellant health from a Bunning's Warehouse outlet for around $2.50, it's currently around 6-7 inches in height & in immaculate health.

Being a huge chili fan & eating it quite often I figured growing it at home would be the best option for keeping my capsicum stocks up. I'm a amateur gardener, just thought i'd mention that.

Enjoy,

Goody.

It's funny you should mention that because I think, for a sliver of a second, I thought about what it would be like to grow chilis just today! I know I could do it here in Houston where it usually warm and humid.

I just can't image really using them enough. Maybe I just need to learn how to cook food that requires chilis.

Brian Now said:
It's funny you should mention that because I think, for a sliver of a second, I thought about what it would be like to grow chilis just today! I know I could do it here in Houston where it usually warm and humid.

I just can't image really using them enough. Maybe I just need to learn how to cook food that requires chilis.

It really just depends on how much you like Chili. Chili's can be added to a variety of dishes to give it that little extra flavour & sensation. If you like Stirfry's & Curries than theres a place to start. Rice dishes & Soups are a second alternative too. I work at a Thai restaraunt & am always around chili so there's not many dishes I wont add it to. You could always google chili recipes & start there...

A bag of fresh/dried chili's can make for a nice present for someone that is really into them :).

Goody.

those chilis sound awesome!! I'm a major fan of hot peppers, and spicy food, in general. Brian...I grew a bunch of habaneros one year, and i dried them and used the powder for cooking, etc...They were good, and HOT!!!
I have 3 massive Rosemary bushes, mint, lemon verbena, basil, lemon basil, and sage. I like to use the Rosemary as skewers for chicken and shrimp, and grill it. Sometimes I'll just throw some Rosemary on the coals, too, for a nice aromatic.
I also have some nice lavendar, but it's very slow-growing. I do use lavendar oil a lot for medicinal purposes.

Brian Now said:
I know I could do it here in Houston where it usually warm and humid.

Don't know about chilis, but here in Austin there is certainly some major herb-cultivating going on.

Goody said:
It really just depends on how much you like Chili. Chili's can be added to a variety of dishes to give it that little extra flavour & sensation. If you like Stirfry's & Curries than theres a place to start. Rice dishes & Soups are a second alternative too. I work at a Thai restaraunt & am always around chili so there's not many dishes I wont add it to. You could always google chili recipes & start there...

A bag of fresh/dried chili's can make for a nice present for someone that is really into them :).

Goody.

I'm jealous. I love Thai food and haven't been able to find a decent restaurant here in Baltimore (that's in a safe area) since I left California. I've tried to recreate pad kee mao at home but it's never the same... :frown:

I have cooked a lot with habaneros and just want to warn those pepper rookies: Be careful! Wash your hands thoroughly a few times after handling them and I might even recommend wearing some eye protection (eyeglasses will do) to keep the odors from going straight to your eyes.

-todd.

musictomyears said:
Just be careful with that Thai chilli...;)

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/10/04/headlines/headlines_30051220.php

That was an excellant find hahaha.

Tommyball: They're some essential tips you just mentioned, but I recommend always wearing gloves whilst handling any chilis & for preparing them. Some tiny flakes of chili can get up underneath your fingernails and cause incredible discomfort there, aswell as if you rub your face or eyes or any other body part!

If you like Thai Curry & love it Hot I recommend the 'Jungle Curry', it's my favourite curry ever: http://www.foodiesite.com/recipes/1999-11:jungcurry

tommyball: I've found some great Thai "package meals" in the grocery store (Harris-Teeter, if you have one)...the Pad Thai is right on the money for cooking it at home. Luckily, there's a great Thai restaurant near me, so I can get the real deal often.

That video clip was great!! Good thing they were never in my house when Mom and Dad were making hot sauce! muahahaha.

A few of my all time favourites:

Hot basil, Masaman Curry, Jungle Curry, Red Curry, Green Curry, Egg Noodle Curry, Pad Thai, Larb, Karee Curry, Panang Curry.

So many awesome flavours :D

Goody.

Picked up a Rainbow chilli plant (Grows purple, yellow, red & orange coloured chili's), a Jalapeno plant & a Habanero one too.

I'm going to grow me some REAL nice chili's!:D

Goody said:
Picked up a Rainbow chilli plant (Grows purple, yellow, red & orange coloured chili's), a Jalapeno plant & a Habanero one too.

I'm going to grow me some REAL nice chili's!:D

oooh..good luck with the rainbow chilis! I've never had any luck with them. I think they're lovely, tho!

The fact that the plant grows multiple coloured chili's blows me away...It's got purple ones at the moment & although they are small & the plant is immature, they still have a decent amount of heat just from plucking them & having a bite. :eek:

Goody said:
The fact that the plant grows multiple coloured chili's blows me away...It's got purple ones at the moment & although they are small & the plant is immature, they still have a decent amount of heat just from plucking them & having a bite. :eek:

I know it..I'm amazed by those plants too. It's so nice to meet another spicy food freak! Have you ever had Blair's Habanero potato chips?? wowee! There was a store here that used to sell them, but I think you can only order them online now *pout*....they rocked!

I havent but they sure sound delicious, I'll see if I can pick them up from somewhere cheers :).

Yeah it's also awesome to meet another Spice lover, I wish there were more of them on these forums but oh well ;).

My mother found a tomato plant today that just decided to pop up & grow on the other side of our yard...Amazing.

We haven't grown them in years. :)

Goody.

Goody said:
My mother found a tomato plant today that just decided to pop up & grow on the other side of our yard...Amazing.

We haven't grown them in years. :)

Goody.

that happened to me one year with a pumpkin...i called it the beanstalk, b/c i didn't know exactly what it was until it started to bloom! hehe...it was all very exciting. I'd forgotten that i'd gutted a pumpkin there the year before! lol!

Back