• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Ever heard of the lizard man?

erik5387

Paranormal Novice
If you lived in South Carolina in the late 1980's you probably did. The summer of 1988 sightings of the lizard man popped up all over the state. He became such a phenomenon that they made a t-shirt with his picture that tons of people bought! I had one myself when I was a kid (I was eight at the time). Here are some links in case you are interested?.

Cryptomundo » Lizard Man of South Carolina

Lizard Man of Scape Ore Swamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seems to me this is a story a kid made up to get out of trouble with his parents but who knows! If anybody else has any information on the lizard man let me know.

erik5387 said:
If you lived in South Carolina in the late 1980's you probably did. The summer of 1988 sightings of the lizard man popped up all over the state. He became such a phenomenon that they made a t-shirt with his picture that tons of people bought! I had one myself when I was a kid (I was eight at the time). Here are some links in case you are interested?.

Cryptomundo » Lizard Man of South Carolina

Lizard Man of Scape Ore Swamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seems to me this is a story a kid made up to get out of trouble with his parents but who knows! If anybody else has any information on the lizard man let me know.

Years ago in the UK UFO magazine, there was a book review. The book was about how dinosaurs could have evolved if they had not been wiped out.

If they had followed the natural process of evolution the book speculates about them having speech, culture , technology etc.

If I remember the front picture correctly, it was of an upright lizard type creature, but with a brain as intelligent as ours. This is speculation of course, but he applied it to natural process which have shaped humans, and applied it to dinosaurs for the same period.

A lot of people seem to forget, that we are lucky to be here, and have of evolved the way we did. If fate had taken another path, there could be intelligent lizards typing into forums right now!

Yes. I remember it well. I lived, and still live in NC and that summer I went camping in the area where the Lizardman fairytale was created. I was around 13 or 14, with a friend and his family. The camp site really liked the tourist attraction it became and greeted people with, "Watch out for lizardman".

I remember the guy on the news with the gun mounted on his camoflauged car. He claimed to have shot the Lizardman and had scales to prove it. Turned out to be off a fish.

Really embarrasing. Glad Lizardman didn't last.

At the Bigfoot Forums there is a thread on Lizardman. I'm there.
I'd link to the thread but I am running a virus scan and it's taking forever for pages to load, so this is all I can do for now. Bigfootforums.com

Funny someone mentioned David Icke. Someone I just met online elsewhere was asking me about him.

I told him to check this site out, maybe he'll come over etc.

I've seen and know what you are referring to Idontunderstand. Looked like Sleestack from Land of the Lost.

A.LeClair said:
Really embarrasing. Glad Lizardman didn't last.

You said it! I was just down in SC on vacation these past few weeks....one night while camping with some buddies in the swamps (near where lizard man was first sighted) the topic came up. One of my friends (who is quite a few years older than me) said he remembered they caught the guy responsible for the hoax a few years after all the hubbub was over. Apparently the guy had several "lizard" suits in his garage, the local media covered the fact that it was a prank with a couple stories on TV and in the newspaper, no national attention at all. It is interesting to me how much coverage the original story got compared to how little it received when found out to be untrue. Next time I am down I am going to try and locate the newspaper articles exposing it as a fake.

erik5387 said:
You said it! I was just down in SC on vacation these past few weeks....one night while camping with some buddies in the swamps (near where lizard man was first sighted) the topic came up. One of my friends (who is quite a few years older than me) said he remembered they caught the guy responsible for the hoax a few years after all the hubbub was over. Apparently the guy had several "lizard" suits in his garage, the local media covered the fact that it was a prank with a couple stories on TV and in the newspaper, no national attention at all. It is interesting to me how much coverage the original story got compared to how little it received when found out to be untrue. Next time I am down I am going to try and locate the newspaper articles exposing it as a fake.

Thats the first I've heard of any suits. I followed the subject with great interest, but it could have slipped through the cracks I guess.

Do you recall the name of the area you camped at? I don't unfortunately.

Yes, I'd be interested to know about any newspapers you get a hold of.

A.LeClair said:
Thats the first I've heard of any suits. I followed the subject with great interest, but it could have slipped through the cracks I guess.

Do you recall the name of the area you camped at? I don't unfortunately.

Yes, I'd be interested to know about any newspapers you get a hold of.

The lizard man was first sighted near Scape Ore swamp in Lee County, SC. A friend of mine has some land right on the edge of the swamp, just outside of Bishopville. The land has been in his family for generations and is a pretty neat place, although no one resides there anymore, there is an old cabin we use as a hunting lodge.....great area to hunt wild pigs! This was the first time I had heard that the lizard man got busted as well. I can only look into it so much being so far away but I plan on looking into old newspaper archives and the like when I am down that way again.

Here is a picture of the swamp and road (snagged from the USGS website) so folks can get an idea of what it looks like.

Attachments

• ScapeOre1.jpg
    ScapeOre1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1
I actually grew up in Bishopville and lived there for the first 21yrs of my life. I was a young kid when the "lizardman" was going on. I actually was on the PM Magazine special they did on it, where I talked with the news reporter for like 10minutes, but all they showed up me on tv was me walking with my aunt and holding up these fake footprints she made for me and hot-glued some old ked shoes to them saying "i think its a bigfoot". Lizard Man was the coolest thing in the world to a kid I thought and also scared me to death. I was very interested in bigfoot at that time too. I can say this, some of the post made on here about the Lizard Man are false. They never caught anyone with lizard costumes in their garage. My best friends uncle was the real "lizard man" (who is now dead). Supposedly he made the lizard man scare because he owned a "butterbean shed" and at night people were breaking into it and stealing all of the butterbeans. So he came up with this to scare everyone. As far as I know, no one (including him) was ever caught or prosecuted for saying they were "the lizardman". Now, I could be wrong about all of this, but you have to remember, it was a very small town and it was easy to know most of what is going on ;)

atodave said:
They never caught anyone with lizard costumes in their garage.

Well thats good to hear. I spent just about all day yesterday going through the online archives of The State newspaper looking for signs that stories of the guy being caught were true. Out of all of the articles that mention the lizard man (and belive me there are a ton) there isnt one confirming my buddys story about a guy being caught. The online archive has every article from 1987-present so if they did cover anything of the sort it would be in there. I just wish you would have posted yesterday so I could have saved myself hours of searching!

atodave said:
My best friends uncle was the real "lizard man" (who is now dead). Supposedly he made the lizard man scare because he owned a "butterbean shed" and at night people were breaking into it and stealing all of the butterbeans. So he came up with this to scare everyone.

So was your friend's uncle the one responsible for scaring the crap out of the kid who originally broke the story? I am wondering why a guy would go to such elaborate lengths as to dress up like a lizard and attack a kids car to protect his butterbeans, when all he had to do was hide out near the shed and scare the thieves. Or did yall hear about lizard man before the kid's family went to the media? Did your friend's uncle start a rumor about lizard man and then someone acted on it? Would be interesting to know. Also if you and others knew about the guy causing this how come the sheriff didn't find out about it? I grew up in a small town as well and I know people gossip like no other. From what I have read it seems like the sheriff really wanted the whole thing to go away and it seems to me the best way to do that would be to expose it as a fake. Thanks for the post atodave, I hope you repost and fill us in. By the way you still down in SC or did you do the dumb thing like I did and move away?

Wow. I'm surprised two people on here have lived in that area, plus me not too far from it. Very surprising.

Several months ago when I was at the Unexplained Mysteries forum some people were inquiring about it. I haven't been visiting that site in awhile but might link to this thread. If I can re-find their Lizardman thread that is.

Loren Coleman might be interested in knowing about the butterbean guy. He has a blog on Cryptomundo about Lizard man etc.

I contacted Loren Coleman and here's his reply. I got permission to share this with you all.

"Dear Mr. Aaron LeClair

Thank you for your email on the Lizardman.

Needless to say, I've heard a few different stories, down through the years, from various people *claiming* to be the "person" behind the Lizardman or other diverse explanations.

Then there's these two:

They never caught anyone with lizard costumes in their garage. My best friends uncle was the real "lizard man" (who is now dead). Supposedly he made the lizard man scare because he owned a "butterbean shed" and at night people were breaking into it and stealing all of the butterbeans.

They suffer from the same syndrome you find with all of them. There really is no suit that anyone has produced. And the "one responsible" is dead or otherwise not available.

There's a third story making the rounds too, about a mask and teens pranking people. It too has no evidence to back it up.

I remain open-minded to the Lizardman being a hoax, of course, just as I remain interested to know if there is any reality behind the reports of the time. To date, the hoax claims, because there have been so many, seem, well, more fishy than the Lizardman sightings.

I'll keep this one in mind, and see if any confirming and overlapping physical evidence ever is revealed.

Thank you sincerely
Loren Coleman"

Hotdiggity!

Aint no Lizardman!

Gonna be down wit de buttah beanZ now!

Gonna need uh ham hock...Chupacapra, you go get us a ham hock, and I'll drive the Nash out to the buttah bean barn!

Hell RoX
Sh9l0m

Back