• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Eclipse set to be 'best in years'

I was all set to video the small part of the eclipse that could be seen from Denver (penumbral portion). I checked the Navy moonrise site for exact times so I could get it as soon it was supposed to rise here. Went in and had a sandwich and missed the whole damn thing. Looks like I will have to wait until the August eclipse and try again. FYI, spaceweather.com has some good pics from the European's during the totality.

I don't know how to read the sort of time they gave, so I had to guess at when it would occur. First time I looked out was when it was almost a full eclipse. It wasn't impressive where I am, plus trees were in the way.

It rose a bit past fully eclipsed on the east coast. This is what I saw when it appeared.

lunarecl_tezel.jpg

Since it lasted about six hours, and was half-way through by the time it was visible in the US, it would have been disappointing in the central US and essentially over by moonrise on the west coast. Better luck next time, left-coasters. ;)

Note: the photo is from NASA. It was faked on a Hollywood sound stage.

I don't know how to read the sort of time they gave ...
If it was "Zulu Time", that's GMT for military, aviation and space uses.

Back