• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Do I see a trend? Yes, I do.

bengemima

Talmudim of Adonai Yeshua
I think I have discovered a trend.
I have listened to 20 or 30 episodes now - some highly intelligent guests, some decent guests, moronic guests... and some plum out of their mind guests. Has anyone else noticed that when a guest starts asking questions and immediately answering them, like "Do I know if they are form other worlds? I can't say for certain. Did they tell me that they were taking me to the mother ship? I never said they did, that was an assumption made by the hypnotherapist.
Are they the typical Grays? Perhaps... I couldn't tell because of the poor lighting on the metallic walls" It usually means that they are full of beans?

Since David likes politics so much, I should throw in there that Bill Clinton is notorious for talking like that when he is lying through his teeth. "Did I have inappropriate relations with that girl? Well, that's ridiculous, of course I didn't. Is the word 'is' even in the dictionary? I believe it is, but the definition is a little ambiguous" and so on.

Has anybody ever looked into the scientific evidence for this phenomena? Anybody have a set of metrics laid out with rhetorical identifiers and tell-tell verbal give aways?

I'll tell you another thing I have noticed. Typically, when someone is full of bull, they insert the interviewer into their own experience. It goes like this: "Then I saw this terrible little creature, they way he looked at you was so horrifying that you just wanted to wet your pants, dude. Then they like, took your hand, and made you draw these symbols with your finger... I was scared to death."

Personally, I have no idea how David or Gene can stand hearing that so often. It may be nothing than poor communication skills, but when ever I hear it, it screams BS.
...or maybe it is just a pet peeve, like hearing someone say supposebly or pecifically, as in, "pecifically speaking..."

Has anybody ever looked into the scientific evidence for this phenomena? Anybody have a set of metrics laid out with rhetorical identifiers and tell-tell verbal give aways?

Psychology probably has a term for it but basically it seems to be either an attempt to reframe the argument in a way that gives the speaker the advantage by appearing to anticipate questions they deem "important" OR an attempt to minimize certain questions and make them seem ho-hum so as to move things along when they are in fact the very sorts of questions that should be focussed on (or when the answers to said questions are patently absurd).

In either case it's probably a good idea to fine-tune the old BS-o-meter the moment the guest begins to engage in a solitaire interview...

Did you know that there's a direct correlation between the decline of Spirograph and the rise in gang activity? Think about it.

Well, although I don't know pecifically where to tell you that you can find scientific or psychological findings to back up your theories, but supposebly there are some verbal clues that can help you to determine whether someone might be lying.

Actually, I think you've got something here. Repeating the question before an answer gives the liar more time to construct their answer. Liars tend to speak more slowly to give their brains more time to think of their answer, and they usually don't even realize that they are doing this.

Also, they tend to want to distance themselves from their answers by not using "I" or "my", etc... When speaking of an object, they might say "the glasses" instead of "my glasses". So, using the word "you" instead of "me" or "I" would be right along those lines...

Also, they tend to want to distance themselves from their answers by not using "I" or "my", etc... When speaking of an object, they might say "the glasses" instead of "my glasses". So, using the word "you" instead of "me" or "I" would be right along those lines...

I've never heard that before - that is interesting.
Expecially the part about speaking slowly; it makes sense.

Back