• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

David is a Yanni fan?!

David Biedny said:
Well, we all have our guilty pleasures.

I like two specific tracks on "Keys to Imagination", an early Yanni album (his first in fact, released in 1986), and that's about it.
dB

Geez, thanks David, I just threw up in my mouth.

mokohiro said:
David Biedny said:
Well, we all have our guilty pleasures.

I like two specific tracks on "Keys to Imagination", an early Yanni album (his first in fact, released in 1986), and that's about it.
dB

Geez, thanks David, I just threw up in my mouth.

Yes. David should worry about coming out of the closet and speaking about Yanni, more than ufos, ghosts and succubi. Just remember, he is a Radiohead fan, and I've heard he respects Zeppelin and Sabbath. And some other of my favorites bands. So, it's forgivable.

Honestly, and in fairness, I don't think I've ever heard the songs he's mentioned, so I can't pick on him until I do. Hell, Neil Diamond and the Bee Gees have stuff that I almost like. Shit, I shouldn't have said that...

Well, music is a weird thing, ain't it?

The Bee Gees are best known for the travesty that is Saturday Night Fever, but let's all remember that they were an actual rock band before that movie came out - "Nights on Broadway" was the very first Bee Gees song I ever heard, and I still think it's a good tune, even though Wikipedia refers to it as a "rhythmic disco song".

Zep was great, though I feel that they never made a better album than their very first one, which is a standout in rock history. It seems like they always tried to recapture the greatness of that debut album, with varying degrees of success. Sabbath is an interesting one - their best-known work is far from their best musically, IMO, but I'm one of those weirdos who loves "Technical Ecstasy" (especially "Gypsy") and "Never Say Die" (the latter is widely considered to be their worst album, but I totally dig it). I was lucky enough to see Ozzy live with Randy Rhodes a couple of times, which was an amazing experience. Randy's death was one of the great musical losses of the rock universe, IMO.

dB

David Biedny said:

The Bee Gees are best known for the travesty that is Saturday Night Fever, but let's all remember that they were an actual rock band before that movie came out - "Nights on Broadway" was the very first Bee Gees song I ever heard, and I still think it's a good tune, even though Wikipedia refers to it as a "rhythmic disco song".

Zep was great, though I feel that they never made a better album than their very first one, which is a standout in rock history. It seems like they always tried to recapture the greatness of that debut album, with varying degrees of success. Sabbath is an interesting one - their best-known work is far from their best musically, IMO, but I'm one of those weirdos who loves "Technical Ecstasy" (especially "Gypsy") and "Never Say Die" (the latter is widely considered to be their worst album, but I totally dig it). I was lucky enough to see Ozzy live with Randy Rhodes a couple of times, which was an amazing experience. Randy's death was one of the great musical losses of the rock universe, IMO.

dB

I love Zep's first. Hard to pick a fav, but that one and Physical Graffiti might be it.

I love Gypsy, especially the end. Kinda like hard rock Beatles at the end. The vocals etc.

Zep got back together recently. It probably sounds like crap, but I'll be interested in seeing and hearing the concert. Page stopped dying his hair and is all grey now.

Randy's great. So is Jake E. Lee.

And on a musical note...

One of my absolute favorite bands, Sigur Ros, has just released a DVD called Heima which documents them in their home country of Iceland, and contains some of the most hauntingly gorgeous footage and renditions of their music. There's one song, Staralfur, from one of their earlier albums, that is done live on the DVD with such emotion and perfection, that it brought me to tears yesterday when I previewed the DVD at a friend's house.

Here's a bunch of free Sigur Ros music downloads.

David Biedny said:
And on a musical note...

One of my absolute favorite bands, Sigur Ros, has just released a DVD called Heima which documents them in their home country of Iceland, and contains some of the most hauntingly gorgeous footage and renditions of their music. There's one song, Staralfur, from one of their earlier albums, that is done live on the DVD with such emotion and perfection, that it brought me to tears yesterday when I previewed the DVD at a friend's house.

Here's a bunch of free Sigur Ros music downloads.

Talking of Icelandic bands ... God i remember the very first time i heard "Birthday" by the Sugarcubes ... absolutely blew me away. Still one of the few songs that sends shivers down my spine ... and Bjork of course is (still) an untoucheable goddess ... that cannot be denied.

(p.s. by the way ... do not watch her in "Dancer in the Dark". She WILL break your heart ... i couldn't stop crying for half an hour afterwards. Great music in that film ... but it is the most distressing film i've seen outside a documentary.)

Oh ... I can see what you see in Sigur Ros. There's definitely a Radiohead kind of feel on the first track in that list of free Sigur Ros mp3s ... sort of Radiohead-ish but less depressing somehow :-D

another p.s.: did anyone else like "The Bushes Scream While My Daddy Prunes" by The Very Things??? :-D ... how obscure can you be?? how about "These peas are so green" by The Happy Flowers ... or "Mega Armageddon Death" by The Electro Hippies (a cover version of a song thats lasts for about 1/10th of a second ... ahh the joys of the John Peel show in the late 80s :-D ...)

Yanni....

Ahh yes. The stories I have heard about Yanni.

Actually, putting my "real" hat on Yanni allegedly has talked about paranormal things once or twice when interviewed (but early on in his life). A friend of mine told me years ago he was a pretty good swimmer and was going to represent Greece at the Olympics, but who knows.

Songs of note for these forums:
Forbidden Dreams
Secret Vows
Chasing Shadows
First Touch
One Man's Dream
Steal the Sky

Sounds like chapters from a Hoagland book. Oh dear....

schticknz said:
Talking of Icelandic bands ... God i remember the very first time i heard "Birthday" by the Sugarcubes ... absolutely blew me away. Still one of the few songs that sends shivers down my spine
I'm American but I was in London when I heard it for the first time. John Peel played it. The song had just come out. I had the exact same reaction as you. I thought to myself, I've got to get this album. It was unlike anything I had ever heard- just so amazing. Have to say, not really a fan of the solo Bjork though, nor some of the final stuff that the Sugarcubes put out. But that first Sugarcubes album- the music, the lyrics...just so amazing and unique. And Sigur Ros has some of the most incredible videos you will ever see. They're like mini-movies, really cool mini-movies. The Sugarcubes videos were pretty much crap.

David Biedny said:

Yes, disco babies don't remember that the Bee Gees broke out in the late 60s and were originally considered contemporaries and heirs apparent to the Beatles.

Back