• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

David Farrant/Highgate Vampire

For Mike

What you say about astral projection (and its possible effects of potentially being used to weaken people or ‘drain them of energy) being the cause of cases (or stories) of vampirism, is interesting Mike.

In one of my books (in a chapter headed “They Come by Night) I put forward a very similar possibility about the visitations of the Incubus and Succubus; male and female ‘demons’ respectively that are said to visit sleeping humans by night.

Victims are suddenly awakened in a completely paralyzed state, unable to scream or even move. There appears to be a strong sexual implication accompanying such visitations, although many of the people I have interviewed about these experiences are slightly reluctant to go into this, probably due to natural embarrassment.

But the point is, that after and between these visitations (when they occur), ‘victims’ begin to have nightmares and become prone to bouts of sleep-walking. People also become anaemic and lose their appetites and develop an aversion to bright light.

All these, of course, are common symptoms of alleged cases of vampirism, and I put forward the strong possibility that cases of ‘vampirism’ infact derive from such visitations which can be traced back for centuries.

I say that Bram Stoker himself was most likely aware of such cases when he came to write his fictional novel “Dracula”; indeed, that this is where he got the whole idea from.

Vampires, I’m afraid, are entirely fictional; notwithstanding how ‘hyped up’ (with the sexual element invariably thrown in) these stories become for the sake of horror movies or even to attract personal publicity.

So yes, I have to agree with you – albeit in a slightly different sort of way.

David Farrant

Hi All,

I am a friend of David's. I was interested in Highgate Cemetery before I knew him, as I spent some time there during my own research into some famous 19th century painters and poets who are buried there. It was during the course of this research that my interest in the Highgate Vampire (so-called) was re-awakened. I had known about it for many years, but like all things, had been propped up in the memory banks.

I have not seen the Highgate ghost, as David has, but I can vouch for several odd happenings, both inside and outside the cemetery. Things which happened to myself as well as two friends, all on separate occasions. The first time I went to Swains Lane (before I knew David) I felt extremely hungry and thirsty, and it seemed to take ages to walk down the few yards from Highgate Village to the cemetery. The second time I met with a friend for a tour of the cemetery. Again, when we emerged from the place, my hunger and thirst were extraordinary, and his mobile 'phone 'switched off' mysteriously until we'd reached the top gate. Thirdly, another friend and I visited the cemetery as part of a 'quest' to discover ley line activity. On the way back down the lane following a much-needed meal and drink (again!) we both felt as if we had walked through a black blanket of fog, which only lifted at the foot of the Lane, outside the cemetery. As a consequence, my friend wanted to go home immediately, whereupon he slept for several hours, exhausted. Try as we might, neither of us remembers walking back down the lane that afternoon. Others to whom I have spoken told me that they had glimpsed black-clad figures around the top gate during a cemetery tour, and a friend and I once caught sight of a similar figure in Highgate woods.

There is definitely something strange that hangs about inside the cemetery and in Swains Lane. I don't know what it could be; it might be linked with the convergence of two ley lines, which cross at that point. Whatever it is, it certainly is very real. It could be that the same entity wanders in Highgate Woods.

It was due to my interest and curiosity in the Highgate case that I met David. We are now firm friends. Like another poster here, I also tried to contact 'the other party' but was given 'short shrift.' I felt that that behaviour said it all about the version of events e.g. a bloodsucking vampire that is most current when discussing the story. I believe what I experienced and what my friends experienced, including David. While I am open to sensible suggestions as to what or who may be haunting Highgate I do not believe that a coffined vampire, staked or unstaked, ever played a part in the matter.

Columbine.

The ayes have it.

Motion carries.

That would be an interesting way for things to work on the show, wouldn't it?

Well, at least that makes two of us.

There is also a link between the Highgate Vampire--and its hunters--and the legend of Robin Hood which I briefly post here from my files. Further info can be read in the paranormal section of www.robinhoodyorkshire.co.uk

This connection started up around 1986 when the esteemed vampire hunter became patron of the Yorkshire Robin Hood Society which was quickly followed up with an investigation into Robin Hood's death--he died in true vampire style of blood loss maliciously--or melevolantly--inflicted. The vampiric--or more likely well documented paranormal links surrounding this mysterious and hidden site in West Yorkshire--continues to fascinate and draw investigators still.

Viridiana

THE DEATH OF ROBIN HOOD

At first it bled the thicke thicke blood
And afterwards the thinne
And well then wist good Robin Hood
Treason there was within

The death of Robin Hood is a well known legend. He was treacherously bled to death by the wicked prioress of Kirklees nunnery, a small Cistercian house near Brighouse, West Yorkshire. The outlaw’s gory and unheroic end is shrouded in mystery. Who was the evil nun and why did she commit so foul a murder? What was the role of Red Roger of Doncaster, who was present at the scene of crime? Was he a priest and also the prioress’s lover? Who WAS the prioress? Was she Dame Elizabeth de Stainton, whose grave can still be seen at Kirklees,or was it Sister Mary Startin, who died of the Black Death in 1350?
All that is left of this medieval whodunit is a ruined grave,hidden in deep woodland, and the derelict priory gatehouse of Kirklees where Robin was so gruesomely done to death. Was the famous outlaw a vitim of thwarted passion,pagan sacrifice,bad nursing,accident,natural causes or------- vampirism ? The entire area where this horrific drama took place is shrouded in,according to one old book, “ .....a mystery which local people only reluctantly tried to penetrate.The mystery was helped physically by the thick shroud of trees that surrounded the place and was sustained by local tales of prioresses and nuns and of the death of Robin Hood.......”

“Terribilis Est Locus Iste”

Dreadful is this place--Abbe Berenger Sauniere, Renne-le-Chateau

Hi Viridina,

For the sake of our friends in America, can I just qualify the connection between the alleged Highgate vampire and the ‘vampiric manifestation that was said to appear at Robin Hoods Grave at Kirklees in West Yorkshire

The self-appointed ‘hero’ of this little story (to follow) was also the Patron of the Yorkshire Robin Hood Society (a position, I understand the he himself had requested back in 1988) and not long after that turned himself into a ‘bishop’ in the Old Catholic Church (who perhaps not surprisingly denied all knowledge of him). After this latter episode he became known affectionately (well perhaps not quite that!) as “Bishop bonkers” – a title I will still employ when referring to him here.

Anyway, back to the story:

In 1991/2 Bishop bonkers wrote an article in Uri Geller’s “Encounters” magazine; in effect describing the haunted grave (I don’t think anyone has ever denied this has for long been reported haunted) and describing an alleged trip he made to the grave in 1990 with two unnamed [as usual] ‘assistants’.

In this article, he described how the three of them discovered ‘Satanic signs’ in a ruined Priory near the grave and, nearby in a field, a dead goat that had been completely ‘drained of blood’. But it gets better!

At the grave, they proceeded to hold a vigil in the hope of witnessing the ‘fearsome entity’.

They did not have long to wait and, all of a sudden, an ‘evil hag’ appeared that proceeded to make a terrifying ‘wailing sound’ in its disembodied state.

Bonkers immediately held aloft a burning candelabra and shouted . . . “Behold the Light”! (my exclamation mark).

His other ‘assistant’ was so terrified that he ran off into the night, only to become hopelessly entangled in a bramble bush and getting badly cut.

The conclusion of this little yarn (I should say Bishop Bonker’s conclusion) was that this entity was indeed ‘vampiric’ and merited a full investigation (by himself, of course!).

I challenged this rather ridiculous story at the time, only to face the usual ‘cut and pasted’ allegations (most dating back over 30 years or more) of ‘trouble making’ or making undue ‘attacks’ on this ‘man of God’!

In particular I wanted to know why no photographs had been taken at the grave; in particular of the Satanic symbols and the dead goat. As per usual no satisfactory answers were forthcoming.

So Viridina, just thought I should point out for our American cousins what the connection is with the Highgate ‘vampire’.

There is none really of course, except here is just another rather ridiculous claim from the very same man who earlier claimed to have staked a vampire after he had driven it from Highgate Cemetery, and who later claimed to have staked its beautiful disciple - a girl he called Lusia and who (just before being ‘staked’) turned into a ‘giant spider’!

I hope I have got the basic facts in Bonkers published article correct as it is some time since I read it. Not the sort of comic episode you forget though.

David Farrant

Folks,

Perhaps it's mentioned somewhere else in this thread, but where can I see videos and/or still images of some of the beings seen in Highgate?

dB

FOR DAVID BIEDNY

You can’t David, that’s really the whole point.

The only person ever claiming to have taken photographs of the Highgate ‘vampire’ (just after he ‘staked’ it) was one Mr. Sean Manchester. Mr. Manchester published a couple of these photographs in a self-published book he bought out in 1985 as evidence of the existence of the Highgate ‘vampire. He later produced one of these on two television programmes in 1998 and 2000. The first of these programmes was presented by Jonathan Ross and the second was called “Dial Midnight” presented by Anathasia Cooke.

I have frequently denounced the authenticity of these photographs in the past and in a talk I gave to The Secret Chiefs in London on May 23 2007 I repeated this statement again; only this time, I explained that new evidence had since come forward that could prove this irrefutably.

I explained that Mr. Manchester had explained to somebody at the time how he had faked these photographs by using flour, other ‘vampire make up’ and time-lapse photography.

I should add that this whole scenario first began in 1969 when Mr. Manchester made an 8mm home movie which ‘starred’ himself as both a vampire hunter and the decomposing vampire. The person he called ‘Lusia’ (who was then living with him) also ‘starred in the film. This person’s real name was Jacqueline Cooper.

I said back in 1988 to a local newspaper that the whole Highgate ‘vampire’ had been a cleverly contrived by just a very small handful of people.

I explained that while there was a genuine ‘ghost’ or unexplained phenomenon at Highgate Cemetery (indeed that had been reported since the Victorian era) the ‘vampire part’ of this story was ‘just pure nonsense’.

I hope this clarifies the matter of the ‘vampire photographs’.

David Farrant

Mr. Farrant,

I did not ask you about the credibility or character of Mr. Manchester, I could care less about him.

Please explain why no one can take a photo of the "vampire", or any of the other anomalous entities seen in the cemetery. If paranormal sightings are a relatively common thing there, then I'm perplexed as to why no one - yourself included - has attempted to capture some hard evidence.

dB

DavidFarrant said:
...and in a talk I gave to The Secret Chiefs in London on May 23 2007 I repeated this statement again...

The Secret Chiefs?? You mean the band or the occult order?

It's when statements like that are made that I start to get very skeptical.

Think of it this way:

Mentioning "The Secret Chiefs" is potentially MUCH more interesting than the Highgate vampire and yet you just toss it out there, almost name-dropping a semi-obscure occult reference...is it just me, or is that a bit odd?

Here we go again.

Well, welcome, one and all, to the board. You don't have to be psychic to see through the sudden flurry of new posters--but it doesn't hurt!

Okay, let's talk about Farrant's body of work, and his unique upbringing. That's the real story here.

I've had the good fortune to read "Dark Secrets" and "Beyond the Highgate Vampire", two of David's harder-to-find books. They were fascinating and quite informative. I believe what makes David Farrant an interesting potential guest is his background and his leadership in the British Psychic and Occult Society. His other books, including The Vampire Syndrome and Dark Journey, make him a credited author as well.

He has led an interesting life and grown up in a rather unique environment--from rebelling against state-sponsored religion at prep school in Sussex at an early age to the spiritual awakening he had based on his mother's interests in spiritualism and hypnotism--and more. His upbringing was as notable and strange as his later adult life would turn out to be.

He was able to see and experience ghosts and creatures beyond the natural ability of a normal young boy. He heard a "horrific man" that talked to him through the wall near his bed. A "monkey-like being" also frequented his boyhood Victorian house in Highgate. He was obviously keen to a level of sensitivity to the supernatural that the rest of us don't normally have access to--and things only got more interesting from there.

As he grew older, Farrant was initiated into the "Old Religion" of Wicca, and was shown secret mystical truths and guided toward the powers and forces of the occult, for which he showed a powerful affinity.

The full story (or rather, stories, as there are many) as can be discovered through the pages of his books, continues to get more and more interesting. My point is that the Highgate "Vampire" case itself is not nearly so interesting as David's body of work. His investigations with the BPOS are in and of themselves fascinating and worth hearing about. His initiation into the occult and Magick during mid-Fifties England, when, despite a keen interest in Hammer Horror films, the British establishment showed a serious disdain for any practice for anything but pure and "clean" Christian values, made for a difficult yet unique existence. A full show could be done on Farrant's life experiences and investigations, and still not even touch on the Highgate Vampire case. The man is a talented writer and investigator, let's not forget, as well as having been entangled in a brouhaha beyond his own influence.

Let's not fall prey to the petty feud of a misunderstood man and the glory-hound that persecutes him. Let's not get involved in the bickering of different sides of one case that has had so much hysteria surround it that it overshadows the facts of the case itself. Can't we just have a look at the life of a man who, apart from what the sensationalist British media claims, has led a fascinating and unapologetic life delving into the mysteries of the paranormal? England has always had a history of bizarre and weird Forteana. The life and times of David Farrant are as interesting a gateway into the best documented and interesting of these in a generation.

Let's have the man on, hear the story of his life, from the strange world he knew as a child, through the singular upbringing he had as a young man to the investigations he would lead later into the ghostly, the paranormal and the occult that made him famous in his native Britain. It's a story that has yet to penetrate the American psyche; for whatever reason, it just hasn't caught on as well as our own accounts of the otherworldly like the Mothman or the Flatwoods Monster.

I'd venture to say that it's at least as interesting, and deserves to be heard.

I for one, can't wait.

For David Biedny (and thanks Gil):

David, you just said . . .

“Mr. Farrant,

I did not ask you about the credibility or character of Mr. Manchester, I could care less about him.”

Yes. I fully understand David, that you may not have wished to invite any criticism against Mr. Manchester, but you were asking if there existed any photographs or images of the Highgate Vampire. Those are the only ones I know about, hence my reply.

You were quite right to remark about the lack of photographic evidence regarding the ghost or unexplained phenomenon – or whatever it was – seen over the years at Highgate Cemetery.

I expect one reason for this could be that often to ‘expect’ ghosts, is never to see them.

Certainly, when I first witnessed the entity, back in December 1969, I did not have a camera with me, simply because, maybe I was just not expecting to see it. (In fact, I had gone to the cemetery one night to see if there could be any logical explanation for the frequently reported sightings.)

Of course photographic equipment is important when investigating psychic phenomena; indeed, this is one of the most essential things to take along to a potentially haunted site. This does not automatically mean of course that something will get ‘captured’ on film, but it does mean, that the means of recording it are there should anything happen to occur.

I think it is important to point out that I have attended many of these nightly vigils over the years, in various parts of the country, and it just seems a tragedy, I think, that my name has only come to be so easily associated with Highgate Cemetery (I assure you, that only formed a small amount of what I have done in this field).

David Farrant

For Digigeek:

Just to answer your observation quickly, Digigeek, I rarely, if ever ‘name drop’, when making posts on the Internet, nor indeed do I even mention the titles of my books, or give links to my written work. I hold the opinion that if people are really that interested they will find these anyway, without any necessity to give them.

On your point about “the Secret Chiefs”, they are in fact a large esoteric organisation (not a pop group!), whom I have given talks for on the paranormal on at least three occasions.

I mentioned this merely as a point of reference for anyone interested, that’s all!

David Farrant.

Thanks David for further clarification of the Highgate/Kirklees case, for those who might be slightly bemused ! The thing is BB claimed to be a world famous vampirologist and professional vampire hunter to boot, though as far as I know there are no university degrees going for vampire hunters that I am aware of and the world famous bit is also puzzling as his only claims to fame( or ridicule !) are Highgate and Kirklees(WHICH WAS A FAILURE ANYWAY) --that adds up to two correct me if I wrong! In a radio interview of which I have a copy and can produce but cant just reall where and when, but the interviewer asked about how many vampires he had cought and he said lots he had lost count or words to that effect. Why the interviewere didnt pin him down as to where and when and what case histories had been kept and other evidence I dont know--probably knew what would happen if he had asked, affronted dignity and waffle, ;plus a few dire threats!
Well hope that sums that up satisfactorily,

Viridiana

Yes, there is definitely something very strange about Highgate. Not only its cemetery, but the whole village seems to be 'engulfed' within a strange kind of atmosphere. There are other ghosts, which have been seen in recent years, one of whom is Oliver Cromwell. He is reputed to haunt Highgate Ponds. The strangest ghost in Highgate is that of a chicken; it was one of a number that Sir Francis Bacon, the Elizabethan scientist, stuffed with snow as an experiment.

The ghost that haunts Highgate Cemetery and the lane outside it is merely one of a number of ghosts that is regularly seen, and more often felt, around the environs of Highgate village.

Columbine.

DavidFarrant said:
For Digigeek:

On your point about “the Secret Chiefs”, they are in fact a large esoteric organisation (not a pop group!), whom I have given talks for on the paranormal on at least three occasions.

David,

I understand that completely. I was being a bit sarcastic and thought it was obvious. My point was that "The Secret Chiefs" is not some mainstream, well-known, established organization that anyone really knows about. Functionally, it is a mythical, fictitious organization that has merely been mentioned by some authors - many pretty dubious. So, you mentioning that you were speaking to such an organization is pretty profound to me and, honestly, a bit mad.

It's like me saying (in the middle of some other speech) "on the topic of pasta, while I was examining the Ark of the Covenant...". If you can't see that a pasta discussion is the far less important of the two, then I'll simply assume this is all delusional.

digigeek said:
I understand that completely. I was being a bit sarcastic and thought it was obvious. My point was that "The Secret Chiefs" is not some mainstream, well-known, established organization that anyone really knows about. Functionally, it is a mythical, fictitious organization that has merely been mentioned by some authors - many pretty dubious. So, you mentioning that you were speaking to such an organization is pretty profound to me and, honestly, a bit mad.

A crowley...........

i have read most of his books, no mean feat as some are so rare you have to travel to the state library in sydney and read them there.
i also in my mis spent youth joined an "order" based on his works, where aspiring magicians studied at the "abbey" and performed the various exercises and rites associated with the genre.

but for all the impressive props, ie the "temple" with its massive black and white pillars, and for all the money these people spent in books.

not one example of magic or psychic phenomena can i cite as having taken place.

crowley was all about making money, and wasnt above havng a good laugh while he was at it, as anyone familiar with the magic on the persian rug incident would know.
having researched order templi orientis style setups personally , i found nothing "paranormal" within.

like his mate L R hubbard he was a fiction writer nothing more.

anything associated with crowley goes in the BS bin in my neck of reality

You are certainly right when you say the name “Secret Chiefs” can conjure up visions of Alister Crowley, Mike, (sorry, I know you didn’t say that, I did) and all his affected nonsense.

But that really happened to be the correct name of the people I gave a Talk for.

Its not really my fault what various groups may call themselves. This particular one seemed quite serious to me. And I checked them out before I even gave that Talk. I think its more a question of them having adopted a somewhat mythical name, as a ‘label’ for that organisation. I am sure that’s all it was. At least, I hope so!

David (Farrant)

DavidFarrant said:
You are certainly right when you say the name “Secret Chiefs” can conjure up visions of Alister Crowley, Mike, (sorry, I know you didn’t say that, I did) and all his affected nonsense.

David,

So it was these folks to whom you were giving a talk? If so, then all I'm really asking and what I got confused about is why you did not just clarify WHO and WHAT this was since it shared a name with the one I mentioned.

It's like when I said "speaking of pasta, when I was examining the Ark of the Covenant..." I might, for example, point out right away that it was a BOOK named "The Ark of the Covenant" that I was examining and not the mythical object.

I doubt that many readers are familiar with The Secret Chiefs, especially not the "version" to which you spoke.

Thanks for that, Digigeek,

I take your point entirely about the names of various organisations. Some might choose to adopt 'esorteric names', that is true.

For my part, I can only say, that I only give talks to genuine groups - and these particular people were established and genuine, if nothing else.

It is not my concern if some organisations happened to be called 'this or that'. My only concern is really only in addressing groups that have a genuine interest in things psychic or esorteric.

I steer well clear of 'vampireoid groups' for the simple fact that many of them really believe that they are 'vampires', and I am basically very opposed to that one particular absurbity of the supernatural.

'Blood-sucking vampires' in real life, simply do not exist. There are some people who may believe differently; in fact, they almost certainly do.

But that is not really my concern. I only gear any talks I give towards people genuinly interested in psychic research and the paranormal.

That is a big enough subject on its own, without having to be distracted by such ridiculous things such as 'vampires'!

David Farrant

Hey, you guys do know you can send each other private messages on the board, right?

Just checking. :)

Good day.

Back