• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Case Study - Jane Leade (1624-1704)

Jonah

Skilled Investigator
jlufo.jpg

A Vision of Gods Flaming Eye

"This Morning as I was in my Spirit, let down into the deep Abyss, attending the pure Openings, from that central generating Source or Fountain Life; In a moment there appeared to me an Azure blue Firmament, so Oriental as nothing of this, in this Visible Orb could parallel with it. Out of the midst hereof was a most wonderful Eye, which I saw Sparkling, as with Flaming Streams from it. Which I am not able to Figure out, after that manner, in which it did present it self unto me. But according to this Form it was, as much as I am able to give an account of it, it was thus, or after this manner. There was a Flaming Eye in the midst of a Circle, and round about it a Rainbow with all variety of Colours, and beyond the Rainbow in the Firmament, innumerable Stars all attending this Flaming Eye. From which the Word said, the Earth and the Heavens shall flye, and nothing abide, but what can live in this Eternal Eye, as ministering Stars of Glory, before the Throne of him: who like to this Circling Eye, which thou hast seen, hath neither Beginning or End.
After this Word it disappeared, leaving its Flaming Influences upon my Heart. And further of this secret Vision he did say, he would it impart, as I for its Manifestation did wait: and the signification hereof should come to be witnessed, by that rising Birth, which is called up to this Globe, among these Stars to fix, in this more excelling Firmament". A Fountain of Gardens ~ Jane Leade, July the 16th, 1676

I think this is a good place to start. There's much more to come here so I would request that before we judge what Jane Leade is actually describing here, taking into account the 17th century understanding she may have had about such things as flight (let alone flight by UAP), we look at certain particular descriptions provided by Leade in her journal entries holistically. This of course implies that we give them a good hearing first. The goal here will not be to prove that Jane Leade is a genuine Contactee/Abductee as we define the terms today, or that the argument for the reality of Contact phenomena is somehow strengthened. I think the best one can hope for from the material is the dismantling of the theory that 'Cultural Contamination' has somehow shaped the core of the Abduction stories told by so many. If one can match over and over again, from descriptions of events written in the 17th Century that cannot be disputed as to validity - her books have been published for three hundred plus years, 10-15 (or more) different specific data points described in modern day cases today, then it is simply not possible that the cultural contamination and the modern media somehow manifested the core of what is described in modern Abduction cases. I believe there are certain serious implications if this is the finding from the material. It is also important in this case to separate the 17th century religious beliefs, common understanding and from there, the interpretation by the author, from what she -seems- to physically experience. I've tried to stay focused on that and understand that others may want to take certain aspects of Jane Leades relationship with what she describes as the "Magia" and explore further. That is not the goal here, at least for now.

In the above journal entry, Leade describes a UFO encounter. The UFO has satellite UFOs. It has sparkling colors and the main body is shape like an oriental eye - in essence a saucer shape. It has flaming streams -and- "flaming influences" upon it's witness. It "disappeared".

UFO sightings are a base/core element of Abduction accounts.

I have found this a fascinating story regardless of the outcome of the study. A bit of background on Leade and those of her society who may have also experienced events we've heard described so many times before.

The Wisdom of John Pordage - Arthur Versluis

More to come...

Very interesting. The first thing I thought of when I read the account was 'sun dog.' I've only seen one once, and it looked a lot like this:

spokane-sundog.jpg

Could you enlarge the size of the text next time? My old eyes have a hard time with print that small. Thanks.

I've seen many of those in Saskatchewan, on the roads through the prairies during winter days where the sun was so bright on the snow you needed high-grade shades! :)

A Transport

"In the Morning after I was awaked from Sleep, upon a sudden I was insensible of any sensibility as relating to a corporeal Being, and found my self as without the clog of an Earthly Body, being very sprightly and airy in a silent place, where some were beside my self, but I did not know them by their Figures, except one, who went out, and came in again: and there was no speaking one to another, but all did set in great silence, and I myself with my Eye fixed forward. And I did suddenly see at a pritty distance, where I was, a rich splenderous thing come down all engraven, with Colours, the Ground thereof being all of Gold. It was in the form of a large Ship with Wings, I cannot say, whether more than four, which spread themselves out, being like varnished Gold, it came down with the greatest swiftness as is imaginable. Upon which amazing sight, I asked some by me, do you not see this wonderful sight? And they said no. But I saw my self, or something like my self, leaping and dancing and greatly rejoycing to meet it. But when I came up to it, then it did as suddenly go up again, withdrawing out of all sight, unto the high Orb from whence it came. After which I found my self in my Body of Sense, as knowing I had been ranging in my Spirit from it for a while, that I might behold this great thing." ~ A Fountain of Gardens, Jane Leade, February 9th, 1678

As I said elsewhere, what is being presented here is not my discovery but rather more following up on the work of another, someone named Jesse Glass, who wrote a few brief essay's on Leade experiences and hypothesized their seeming connection to Ufology and the Abduction phenomenon. Some of what Glass put forth will be repeated here but most of it will be new material. Since the time they were written (99-2001ish), most all of Leade's works have been published to the web and what I hope to do is add much more to the record of this account as a possible Abduction/Contact case. I've read most of it at least once. I've also posted some of it elsewhere in various forums but none were of the caliber of this one as regards to Ufology. I just wanted to be upfront about that.

The above description given by Leade seems to indicate an altered state of consciousness to be sure as she is simply describeing an 'out of body' experience. It seems those around her were quite out of it as well. I also find interesting her description that the object she witnessed "came down with the greatest swiftness as is imaginable". It reminds me of the term 'Fast Walker" and the Object also seems to play a tricksterish game on Leade as it allows her to approach and then takes off - "But when I came up to it, then it did as suddenly go up again, withdrawing out of all sight, unto the high Orb from whence it came."

Almost every aspect of this event as described by Jane Leade above can be equated with classic UFO encounter behavior. What is also interesting is that since this event occured some time after the first (see 1676 event), it lends itself to the pattern of repeated experience described in many Abduction accounts. The fact that others didn't see it is problematic here in some ways, but lends support in others. Those who have read Hopkins "Sight Unseen" will recognize the possibilities. That said, ultimately these events are just a small part of a much larger picture that that should be considered as a whole before judgements are made.

So I went a bit out of order with the last post. Much happened to Jane Leade in between these two experiences. The source that the bulk of what is posted here is taken from is Leade's best known work, 'A Fountain of Gardens'. It is somewhat unique amongst her writings in that it is in the style of a journal or diary kept by Leade over the last quarter of the 17th century. As I said, in between the two classic UFO sightings already presented, a lot happened that mimics some of the deeper aspects of the Abduction phenomena. I will try to present these events on the order in which they happened. After the July 1676 sighting, it wasn't until next spring that several interesting encounters are described.

"In my first Sleep, in the Night time, many magical Workings and Ideas were presented to me. As first, a Figure of a Woman, with a Crown upon her Head, who seemed to me to be but of a small Stature, but her Visage was bright as the Sun, and clear as the Moon, with a White loose Garment girt about her with a seeming White Silken Girdle, who came near to me, saying, Behold and see, what ye may arrive to be in me? And so passed away.

Then after a while, there was a Child all Lovely and Fair put into my Arms; it was all naked, of a smooth shining Skin; I could not see who it was that disposed it to me, but it was unexpectedly let down into my Arms. I thought it to be very Weighty, though but little; so passing to go away with it, it suddainly slipped through my Arms unto the Ground, at which I gave a great Screek, and with great Fear and Concern, took it up again without much Damage."
Jane Leade, March 11th, 1677

So here seems to be the presentation of an infant child who possesses "a smooth shining Skin" to Jane Leade by an entity "who seemed to me to be but of a small Stature". I've heard this somewhere before...more on this in the next post.

"In the Night, as I was waiting in my wonted solemn Retirement, what might further be administered. I was cast as into a magical Sleep, where I saw my self carried into a Wilderness; where I saw only pleasant, pastoral Walks and Trees, which much suited with my Mind and Inclination there to walk; where I found nothing to disturb my superiour Meditations. In which place I promised my self opportunity, as not willing that either my Name, or Place should be known to any, saving One. But while I was thus pleasured in my reserved state, I suddainly did see one, that was known to me, walking very strait and upright, with a Book reading in his Hand: He seemed to be as one, that would not look awry. But it was said presently, that this Person was a Spy: then presently two more did appear of the Female Sex, both which did make a kind of Assault upon me; but one of the Females was more fierce, and did give my outward Skin a prick, as with a sharp Needle. Upon which I called for Angelical aid to succour me, or else too hard they would be. Whereupon I was parted from them, and saw them in that place no more: A voice, saying, None here shall henceforth come, but such as can agree to walk with thee perfectly. And so the Vision broke up.

The Interpretation

"Some Days after I did further enquire into the more full meaning of this Vision, why such should so conspire against my solitary reserved Life: but especially that one, who was in my Eye of more value, because of a known Life of Truth, and Integrity?

I found this written upon my Heart, Their Eyes must for a while be with-held; they will not you know, till ye can get the new Name engraven, as of precious Stones upon your Forehead. For it was secretly whispered to my Spirit, that in some there might be a refined and spiritual Emulation, as in others a more Gross and Sensual. Both of which I had councel, and caution, how to walk with; so as no occasion of stumbling might be given justly to the gainsaying Spirits: Whose pryings were to see how we would walk, while in the Wilderness state."
Jane Leade, March 22nd, 1677

Several things obviously stand out in the description of this strange event. The use of a familiar here, as described, is not unknown in the Abduction literature. Whitley Strieber has described himself as acting as one during an encounter, as has this guy. I believe this familiar may have been John Pordage - more later. Also, the pricking of the skin during an assault by two "of the Female Sex". Sampling perhaps? Injection? If anyone else can fathom what the reasoning behind the pricking of skin with a needle...in 1677..might be, I'd be grateful for the input. The concept of the Hypodermic was still in it's infancy at the time. Even then...

I really don't know what to make of the fact that Leade's pleas for "Angelical aid" seemed to have had a negating effect, one we've heard others currently championing in some quarters, on those committing the assault. Maybe "What would Jesus do?" is a universal question rather than a localized one? Don't know what to say, but there it is.

I find the explanation given to Leade "that in some there might be a refined and spiritual Emulation, as in others a more Gross and Sensual." to be compelling. We will explore the latter soon in another journal entry. It does mimic the exact situation we find ourselves in today regarding the argument of benevolence vs. malevolence amongst Abduction reports.

It's important to emphasize the core of the experiences described and recognize Leade's interpretations and verbage in the context of the times. I hope others see where I'm going with this and why.

"As I was in my Bed, contemplating the unknown and invisible Orb of Glory, longing for a Body, with which I might have entrance thereinto: While I was thus deeply musing, there first appeared to me a bright Cloud, which gathered it self into a round Compass; then it opened into various Colours, wonderful Splendorous with numerous Stars: which were only discernible, as they did not so visibly appear, because the brightness did overcloud them. In the midst of this, did suddainly break forth somewhat like the Figure of an Eye, which did look terrible, piercing through all, with flaming Streams round it, which were transcendently glorious. Upon which I could not stedfastly look, till I had closed my mortal Eyes: which then for some space of time, I did behold, and then it vanished in the twink of an Eye; then opening to see whether I could bear the glory of it, it did retire out of sight with this Word, What Flesh can live in this refining Element?" ~ Jane Leade - April 10, 1677

Another sighting of an UAP, shaped like an "eye" that "vanished in the twink of an Eye".

"I did see a Vision, which was thus presented, as the form of a Hand, which seemed to be grasped very close: out of which sprung a living Creature, peeping through the Fingers, and so by degrees did quite break through the Fingers. First appeared the Head, as in the Likeness of a young Dove; but the Body was of the colour of a Ruby, having Wings and Fire-sparkling Eyes: which as soon as it got through the Hand, it mounted away as into the Air, where I saw it no more. This thing seemed very strange to me, and for some days the meaning was concealed, having other Ideas intervening, wherein my Intellectuals were exercised. But this being brought to remembrance, there was something considerable to be understood from it, as by the Spirit of Wisdom and Light was made out very significantly." ~ Jane Leade - April 20nd, 1677

As I was considering of the openings which I had, of that Vision relating unto the Cherubim-birth, which was hatched under the Hand of the Power: This Query arose in me, how the Spirit of this New Creature was sustained: And which way it could draw in that food, that constituted it to be of that strength and excellency of Body, and Spirit, that it could mount away, as a Dove into a unknown Orb? Ah, my Lord, what manner of Birth is this? Shall such a Birth ever be known to have existency in this terrestrial sphere? Sure such a Birth is only meet to be Born, where is a pure and unmixed Element, which may not be in strife against it. For verily it is hard and very difficult for such a Birth to be nursed and brought up to perfection, where all things work cross, rising up against it. Because it is a strange Child that beareth not this worlds Image...

First then know, this overshadowing hand, through which this birth doth spring, incompasseth only, what is Paradisiacal ground: there it drops in, its golden seed. This ground in its true native Virgin pureness, must be separated from the common cursed matter, of what produceth the earthly birth. These two different soils are to be found in the first Adam’s generative off-spring, but it is so mingled and overrun with the dark muddy element, that great care, labour and painful industry is used for its recovery out, by the wise and learned Spirit in the heavenly Chymistry, rightly to prepare for this holy Birth. Which will be easily known from the course and rudimental, that is in the image of the earthly.

But now to resolve that Question, What this Birth that is from above, which is coagulated into one unmixed matter must live upon in the house of humanity. Which for a time it must be brought up in, as Christ himself was, and tempted with the evil fruits, that will be daily proffered from the market of this world, but yet in no danger, though in minority. For it is left under the guardian Spirit, who warns it what to abstain from; whose nature and composition is of such heavenly essentiality, that it inclines naturally to obey the Paradisiacal laws. Which is the second character of this New Creature.

Then again in the third place, while but in its Infancy, it will suck of no other, but its Eternal Virgin Mother; lay it to any other, and it will be sick to Death. And if at any time contrary Food is forced upon it, it doth presently Vomit it up." ~ Jane Leade - April 26th, 1677

Interesting phrases used by Leade in these last two journal entries. A "strange Child that beareth not this worlds Image..." and the use of the phrase "heavenly Chymistry". This simply strikes me as 17th century speak for what we know today as Genetic engineering, used to create an entity that"will be easily known from the course and rudimental, that is in the image of the earthly." At least that what seems to be implied by the"it is so mingled and overrun with the dark muddy element, that great care, labour and painful industry is used for its recovery out" reference.

The implication is that the child is "un-earthly", at least in image
. It's difficult to tell if all this is related to the presention of the child that Leade wrote about in her March 11th entry or not. Let's just say that March and April were eventful.

The Glassy Book

"In the Night when the outward Senses were reposed, I saw at a distance a reserved or separated place, which was as light as the Firmament, and there I saw the figure of a Book; it had no Clasps or Seals upon it, neither was there any thing therein written, that I could perceive; but the Leaves appeared all as transparent as the flaming light. After this came forth out of that bright Orb a Flock all in white Robes in a triumphant posture, rejoycing about me with pleasant bright Countenances, and would have me repose my self in the same alacrity with them; but I was more sad and ponderous, and could not move with that agility, which they did with their Airy Bodies. But I soon did feel a mighty influence from their Bodies; though at their first appearance, I was as one surprised: but such was their great affability, and friendliness towards me, that in a little while I was in their liberty, and joy. Which no sooner I was made sensible of, but they told me they must withdraw unto their own place: I then desired they would not leave me, but let me go along with them, which they could not permit at this season. This brought heaviness upon me again." ~ Jane Leade - May 13th, 1677

I have read of this in modern day literature and accounts. A feeling of familiarity and a desire to stay in their company. "But I soon did feel a mighty influence from their Bodies; though at their first appearance, I was as one surprised: but such was their great affability, and friendliness towards me, that in a little while I was in their liberty, and joy."

You know, the ones that "came forth out of that bright Orb".

For some reason, I feel Betty Hill would have enjoyed reading this one. Same book?

Weird huh?

"But while I was thus pleasured in my reserved state, I suddainly did see one, that was known to me, walking very strait and upright, with a Book reading in his Hand: He seemed to be as one, that would not look awry. But it was said presently, that this Person was a Spy"

I mentioned earlier the concept of a 'familiar' and it struck me that I might find references to similar 'oddities' in the works of her contemporaries-specifically her mentor, a Dr. John Pordage. So I started researching the name and came upon the scholarly article written by Arthur Versluis, a link to which I posted in the first post in this thread.In this profile piece, Versluis made mention of a few Pordages troubles. Specifically:

"Pordage’s visionary experiences began in August of 1649. This opening of the worlds was the revelation to Pordage and his family of the good and evil invisible realms that inform this visible world of ours. Pordage and his family saw firsthand the Mundi Ideales, or invisible realms, one full of love, the other of wrath. The wrathful realm was evidently quite unpleasant: Pordage and his family, he wrote, witnessed not only the presence of evil hierarchies—in monstrous theriomorphic forms, all “misshapen,” with cat’s ears and cloven feet and fiery eyes—but their physical manifestations in sulphuric foul odors and even the imprint of their images on the windows, ceiling, and chimney of the house. He and his wife, being unable to remove these various images from the chimney using wet cloths, resorted to smashing them off with hammers."

and...

"One of the chief accusations against Pordage was “that he hath very frequent and familiar converse with Angels.” that when he was attacked by a dragon in his home, “his Angel stood by him and upheld him.” Further, “That Mrs Pordage and Mrs Flavel had their Angels standing by them also, Mrs Pordage singing sweetly, keeping time on her breast, and that his children saw the spirits coming into the house, and said, look there, Father. . . And the whole roof of the house was full of Spirits (Innocencie, 14-15).”

Well, ok then. Interesting. So I ordered a copy of 'The Wisdom of John Pordage'. From the Versluis article-

'The Wisdom of John Pordage' consists in a modern version of the two works published in English: 'A Treatise of Eternal Nature with Her Seven Essential Forms' (1681) and 'Mystica, or the Mystic Divinitie of the Aeternal Invisibles, viz, the Archetypous Globe' (1683)'. The Treatise of Eternal Nature offers a general introduction to the concept of Eternal Nature, the “first original and true ground of all created beings and so of all true knowledge (Eternal Nature, preface).” Outward, physical nature, then, has its origin in an archetypal, pure realm of “Eternal Nature” similar to the Platonic realm of Ideas or Forms. Thus Divine Nature is “hid in Nature, as a Jewel in a Cabinet;” it is manifested in the Seven Essential Forms, and has its origin in the Abyssal Nothing, which is the “ground of all Essences, and yet no Essence to be seen in it,” the “fruitful Mother of all Things.” In Pordage’s treatise, then, we see a visionary hierarchy or ascent from the natural world to the archetypal, to the Seven Essential Forms (the qualities informing existence), to the Abyssal Nothing of God Himself. When we look at Pordage’s and Bromley’s works, as indeed at the whole of English theosophic literature, it becomes quite clear that these authors are referring to a single theosophic initiatic process that entails the opening of inner vision and access to what Pordage calls in Sophia a “magical earth,” what Bromley describes as when “our internal Eye is more unlocked, to behold the paradisical World, with those luminous Objects and Inhabitants that are in it.” The “magical earth” seen in spiritual vision is precisely what Henry Corbin called a mundus imaginalis, or imaginal realm: it represents an intermediate state between the duality of earthly life and the inexpressible unitive realization of total transcendence."

Great, but that's not what I was looking for. Well, maybe some. I did however find this...

"I say then there were two invisible internal principals opened and discovered to us, which may be called Mundi Ideales, being two spiritual worlds, extending and penetrating throughout this whole visible creation...Now these two Principal worlds, seemed very much different from one another, as having contrary qualities and operations, by which they work on this visible creations...some[creatures in them being] poysonful and noxious, others -wholsom and harmless"

It seems as if Pordage might be an acquaintance of a couple of "Fierce Females". Just a strong suspicion that can't be proven. Also Pordage begins to have these Fortean type experiences in 1649 and Leade begins to write about her experiences in 1676-77 and later. I find it curious that exactly three hundred years later, both 1949 and 1977 were just on either side, if not in the middle of, major UFO waves. Regardless, these two were walking the same path. Methinks.

More John Pordage...

"Those images and figures which the opening of the eye manifest are not shadows and empty representations, but real and substantial ones; they are not figures of heavenly things but the heavenly things themselves."

"The simplified spirits are numberless and distinct from one another, like stars in the firmament. They are all alike and co-equal; they are all of the same essence and all equally eternal, and appear like bright sparks or eyes"

"How were they generated by God? This, I confess, is a great mystery, but we can say that these simplified spirits did from all eternity exist ideally in the eye of eternity, and that these ideas were actually manifested on all worlds, for they are ideas conceived in the divine mind, which then desired they come into being"

"Their speaking to one another is thought; whatever they but think is answered immediately; their thoughts are all known to one another and forthwith answered"

"Gods Wisdom is a bright ray or glance issuing from the eye of eternity"

You get the drift. I hope.

"...and appear like bright sparks or eyes"
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

So I just listen to Gene and David's interview with Jacques Vallee. Inspiring wrt to the topic at hand..

"This Night, somewhat before break of Day, I did verily believe there lay one by me in the Bed. At which I was put into some fear: but then it appeared to be the Figure of my deceased Husband. Who discoursed many things to me, challenging Conjugal Love, and the renewing of that old affinity, which was betwixt us, with manifold circumstances thereupon attending. At which, at first, I was somewhat disturbed; but I took courage, and discoursed with him, and told him, I fear’d to have Union with any inferiour Spirit, till they had got up to the highest perfection; and asked him several questions, concerning which, he seemed to be silent, and could not give me satisfaction, as to his being in that full growing state, for the compleatment of his glorification. But still I beheld him magically hovering about me, and he asked me for a Bible. While, I thought, that he was now above that way of knowing God, which I urged much, that he might now know, as he was known: but he gave me no answer thereto. Then he proved me with some small Pence, which seemed to be like Gold: which I set light by, and did not receive them; as not understanding wherein they could be of service to me, aiming at greater things from Wisdoms Treasury. After I had said, that since his decease, I had made choice of an unchangeable Mate: for whom I must now be, and for no other, but as they are compleated in his glorified Body; where I should rejoyce to know him, and to meet him. Upon which he disappeared. And then coming to my exteriour sense, I understood in what a Magia Trance I had been. -
Jane Leade, August 25th, 1677

One of the more "gross and sensual" Magia Leade was warned about earlier, taking the form (or projecting into her mind), the image of her dead husband "challenging conjugal love". Not sure the implications here but it needed to be included. Interesting term, "Magia Trance".

The Stone of the Kingdom.​

"In the Night after my first Sleep, somewhat I saw, like a round Ball, mixed with all manner of Colours very oriental, and it darted down from an invisible Region, to the Earth, where it seemed to sink in. After which it was said to me, that this was the Stone, upon which the Kingdom of Heaven was founded." Jane Leade, January 6th, 1678

I think there is an interesting tie in here that will be covered in the next Journal entry....with a twist.

A Transport (posted earlier)

"In the Morning after I was awakened from Sleep, upon a sudden I was insensible of any sensibility as relating to a corporeal Being, and found my self as without the clog of any Earthly Body, being very sprightly and airy in a silent place, where some were beside my self, but I did not know them by their Figures, except one, who went out, and came in again: and there was no speaking one to another, but all did set in great silence, and I my self with my Eye fixed forward. And I did suddenly see at a pretty distance, where I was, a rich splenderous thing come down all engraven, with Colors, the Ground thereof being all of Gold. It was in the form of a large Ship with Wings, I cannot say, whether more than four, which spread themselves out, being like varnished Gold, it came down with the greatest swiftness as is imaginable. Upon which amazing sight, I asked some by me, do you not see this wonderful sight? And they said no. But I saw my self, or something like my self, leaping and dancing and greatly rejoicing to meet it. But when I came up to it, then it did as suddenly go up again, withdrawing out of sight, unto the high Orb from whence it came. After which I found my self in my Body of sense, as knowing I had been ranging in my Spirit from it for a while, that I might behold this great thing." Jane Leade, February 9th, 1678

(Hopefully someday the Paracast will ask Sammy about aliens...)

The Motion of the earth

"In the Night my Spirit had a representation of the frame of the whole Earth, in the compass of a Globe. Which moved, as sometimes I have observed the Clouds working in the Air, before a shower of Rain cometh. So did the Earth work and move in a restless motion." Jane Leade- February 8th, 1678

"In the Night after my first Sleep, somewhat I saw, like a round Ball, mixed with all manner of Colours very oriental, and it darted down from an invisible Region, to the Earth, where it seemed to sink in. After which it was said to me, that this was the Stone, upon which the Kingdom of Heaven was founded."

Leade's journal entry of January 16th again uses the term "oriental", here describing the colors of the object. The object also "seemed to sink into the earth". Not sure that these two events connect in any way but....

The Sun-Stone Rising out of the Earth

"This Morning as I was waiting, I did find such a deep Immersement with the Fountain-Light, into which my Spirit was drawn, and carried to see a place where there was much Earth, but it was cleared away, and an hollow Place or Vault like to a Cave. Into which I was call’d to follow one, that was my Guide. At first it seemed to be dark and dismal: But after I was in, there sprung out a bright Fiery-Stone, the shine of which did lighten that dark Place: it was as Sparkling and Glorious as the Sun. But the Earth covered it by some shakings, that often fell upon it, and quenched the Lustre thereof, so as it did not give forth its Light: but after a little season, it broke through again, and overcame the Darkness. And it was thus opened unto me, That this was a Similitude to shew to us our own Internal State, how Obnoxious the pure and flaming Stone was to the Earth’s showering down upon it. And this Word came to me, There is no other way, but to bind the loose Earth, that so the Light may shine free." Jane Leade - August 25th, 1678

Leades description of an this event occurring in a "Vault like to a Cave" with a "Guide" seems reminiscent of those who describe underground encounters in today's Abduction literature.

On a side note, I find the date here most interesting as it falls three days after the event known in Crop Circle lore as the The Mowing Devil. At least "licensed" on that date.

mowing-devil-title-page.gif

The School of Wisdom - A Transportation

"In the Night after my first Sleep, I was consulting, whereunto the moving-Star had brought us, and perceiving it still was in its circling motion (to shew, that we had not yet arrived to the Center-point, where we might mix with it, and cease from all further searching and Travel) I was longing now to be at rest in the Lord, from all sort of Toil and Labour, both Internal and External. But it was replyed by the Holy Ghost, who hath God’s secrets in readiness to reveal, that there could not be so quick a dispatch. For we were, said he, but newly entered upon the Borders of the unknown Land, where the Heavenly City doth stand, in which each one have reserved their allotted Mansion. And being cast into a Solitary and Mourning posture, because of this Word, that declared for a continual Warfare I was in some kind of Agony. In the sense hereof I Queried, what the Lord would further require, now that the Contrarieties in Nature were agreed to walk in the narrow track of the Spirit unanimously. Upon which expostulation the Spirit did it reveal, that it was now the fittest Season to proceed forward in. For none could be capable of taking their degrees in order to a Seraphick Dignity, but those who had reconciled the striving Properties. Which from the outward Birth had made such a struggling. Which (being not only subdued, but made all willing) now must together launch into further Depths, as the Star above shall direct the Measuring Line in the Spirit’s Hand: Which we are precisely to observe; and all will work to fetch up to God’s rest.

Then after all this Opening and Spiritual Parly I was over-set, and cast as into a Trance, and had all my outward Senses drowned, and was brought by the Spirit into such a place, that was as the Scene of another World. For the Ground where the Inhabitants moved, was as clear as Crystal, and the same above was the same below, all light and clear. The Spirit that brought me in, led me to do Obeysance to one, that was the Princess of that World. Who appeared great and full of Majesty, resembling the Face of a Woman, all cloathed as in waved Clouds. I was something abashed to come near her: but the Spirit animated me. And She directed my Guide, to bring me into acquaintance with the residue, that did move there in distinct Figures. But they at first looked somewhat strange upon me, and shy: because I had no such clarified Body. Whereupon I did strive to make my Apology in way of Speech: but that did much displease. For it was advised, this was the Magia-School; where all of Mortal Language was to be excluded. For all was understood by the operation of the Magia: here was no Speech, but all Power acted. Then one I was brought to, that had such a composure in his Countenance, as one might read profound Wisdom, signally resident upon him. I would have had them more free, and familiar with me, for I loved and was much affected with them. But they saw, I was not versed in their high Method, and looked upon me as a stranger in their Region. And being very eager to ask them questions, what the denominated were? And who was the Soveraign Ruler here? And I was big with many Queries, but received a check, as being a young Novice, that did not understand the Magia-Rules. Then suddenly I was bound, and could move no way, but no Hand touched me. And this was to let me know, what Soveraignty they could put forth. And then as suddenly I was set free, and found my self at liberty.

Then heard I the Majestical Princess, that ruled all in that Sphear, say in a breath as soft as Air: Do not despise the unlearned, that are not acquainted with this high Art. For this thing, time is allowed, for the fitting her out thereunto. But know, O Spirit, before thou goest from hence, that this is the one only thing, that is worthy to be learned, whereby Nature’s Beast may become tamed, and to a Heavenly Figure renewed by the Magia-working Power. Then brought I was into my Bodily Sense, where I was given to understand, what all this Transportation tended to. Which I was cautioned to remind, and lay up as a secret: and watch the turn of the Wheel, when Sophia should it once again move, to bring us to know and learn this high Mystery, which may the groaning Creation relieve." Jane Leade - December 15th, 1678

Key phrases:

"I was consulting, whereunto the moving-Star had brought us"

"was over-set, and cast as into a Trance, and had all my outward Senses drowned, and was brought by the Spirit into such a place, that was as the Scene of another World."

"he Spirit that brought me in, led me to do Obeysance to one, that was the Princess of that World."

"For it was advised, this was the Magia-School; where all of Mortal Language was to be excluded. For all was understood by the operation of the Magia: here was no Speech, but all Power acted."

"but they saw, I was not versed in their high Method, and looked upon me as a stranger in their Region"

"And I was big with many Queries, but received a check, as being a young Novice, that did not understand the Magia-Rules."

"Then suddenly I was bound, and could move no way, but no Hand touched me. And this was to let me know, what Soveraignty they could put forth."

"Do not despise the unlearned, that are not acquainted with this high Art. For this thing, time is allowed, for the fitting her out thereunto."

"Which I was cautioned to remind, and lay up as a secret: and watch the turn of the Wheel, when Sophia should it once again move, to bring us to know and learn this high Mystery"

I don't feel the need to elaborate much more on this one.

Here Leade describes yet another infant presentation.

"I Had in the Night a Vision: it was the Sight of an Infant, new born, that was brought to me; and it was said to be Mine. But I wondered at it: for I knew not When, or How, I brought it forth. Then I Questioned, whether it was Male, or Female? And it being examined, there was no Mark for Distinction upon it. Which was Marvelous, to consider what manner of Child this would be. And when I call’d it over in the Divine Sense, it was said, This Figures out the Mysterious high Birth, that will be Mighty in Power, and Wonderful in Wisdom and Majesty.

And it is Open’d to me thence that this Child, being a Masculine Virgin figured out, doth represent the Eternal Spiritual Off-spring, that Adam should have brought forth from God’s Eternal Virgin in Himself. And so it is to be renewed again, and to have its Succession, as CHRIST, the Second Adam becomes the new Birth in us, being Male and Female, and so multiplying Himself; tho’ under the Covert of a Mortal Figure.

[According to the foregoing Visional Appearance, and application thereof, by the Word of Life and Power, as a Circling Flame, passing through the Inward Parts, an Assurance was shortly after given, of the near Fulfilling of the same. Which is to be from the mighty Masculine Spirit of Faith, impregnating the pure Virgin-Womb of a dedicated Mind. And before this Lordly Birth can be perfected for Breaking forth, it was shewed, how it was to receive the Influences of the several Archetypal Planets and Powers: Represented in Vision by Seven Fountains, as so many Forms and Sources of Pure Angelical Nature.] This was about the latter end of the Year. ~Jane Leade - September 20th, 1686

Interesting that the child presented to Leade is described as being without a "mark of distinction" when it comes to identifying sexual characteristics (in essence, no sexual organs). Also, how the child was to receive "the Influences of the several Archetypal Planets and Powers".

It may well be that these descriptions of a child presentation are completely metaphorical but it's hard, at least for me, to lean towards this conclusion when taken with the full measure of all the other experiences Leade describes which -seem- related to (or perhaps the byproduct of) the Abduction phenomena as we understand it today.

This passage was written by Jane Leade towards the end of her life (1700). It is found in her tract, 'The Wars of David'.

"About Three a Clock in the Morning, I was awaken’d with a Sound as of many Voices, harmonizing together as in one Voice; saying Arise; up to your Watch-Tower: for there is a great Day that is drawing near, for Expectation of what is ensuing upon and after the opening of the 1700th Year, which belongs to, and is to be understood by those only, that have past the First and Second Watch, and are entering upon the Third; as the Break of a new springing Morning, that shall rise brighter and lighter, till the whole Earth shall be fill’d; for many Stars out of this Orb shall rise in order hereunto; and go forth and appear to lead the way into Wisdom’s All-plenteous and Blissful Land.

As I was considering These Voices from whence they did sound, I had a sudden Glance of Light broke forth, and saw numerous Figures appearing in shining Garments of a Silver brightness, with Golden Shields on their Breasts and Vials of Golden Oil in their Hands. And in a silent inquiry of my Mind what these were? It was Answer’d, They are Holy Watchers sent down from the Heavens, to pour out the Consecrated Oil, into those Vessels that were Sanctuary proof, that so they might be enabled to hold out the Third Watch, with those of the Higher Order: who did further note to me " That some Persons and Families that were found under this Vow of Consecration, and watchful Sequestration, their high Faith should Unite withal, and secretly Assist and Support their Hands to hold out the Probation-Hour. For it was said to me, That must of necessity be, before the Mighty Deeds and Works, that are to usher in the great Dominion of Christ’s Kingdom, can be brought forth.
" Jane Leade- January 6th, 1700.

Voices, a "glance of light" from which appeared unknown figures in "shining garments of silver brightness" and possibly the first instance in print associating these entities with the term "Watcher". Interesting also the mention of "families" found under "watchful sequestration" which might be understood in modern abduction literature as the observation that the abduction phenomena seems to run in families. Taken today, it's an interesting corollary to the idea that those who've experienced much the same, are driven to seek out others in whom they might find a modicum of understanding.

"That some Persons and Families that were found under this Vow of Consecration, and watchful Sequestration, their high Faith should Unite withal, and secretly Assist and Support their Hands to hold out the Probation-Hour."

I just find this very interesting.

Here is a passage that I will need to source but will add it here to round out the post.

"But now the great Question of those who are willing to be Wisdom’s Disciples, is, Which way they may ascend up to this Globe Eye, to become Magicians in the holy Ghost’s Property?

This question is deep and weighty, and shall be answered according to the Gift of Revelation received; Know then, that the way to ascend to the Globe-Eye, is through its descending down into the Root-Essence of the Soul, and contracting with it Philosophically, turning it into a Magick Eye; where then it may most easily ascend, and fly to be an eye, in the Globe-Eye, before which all stands naked and open, whatsover hath proceeded from the Center-Ground of God’s Globe of Eternity. Therefore they who shall find such favour, as to be introverted and environed with this Eye, may well come to understand the grounds of the divine Magia, and be able to exert it from the Co-essential Power of the holy Ghost, without which all attempts for it will lie in Scorn and Derision. Hence we may understand where the Ground-work for divine Philosophy doth lie; whereby great Overturns and mighty Changes may be effected in this World’s Region, where God will have great occasions for divine Magia to act in his behalf "

If nothing else, the Jane Leade stuff is a pretty good indication that a phenomenon lots of people think is just a modern folk tale -- an artifact of the "sci-fi age" -- is a phenomenon that has been happening for many hundreds of years, at least.

And that would make it pretty important, I think.

jlufo.jpg

A Vision of Gods Flaming Eye

"This Morning as I was in my Spirit, let down into the deep Abyss, attending the pure Openings, from that central generating Source or Fountain Life; In a moment there appeared to me an Azure blue Firmament, so Oriental as nothing of this, in this Visible Orb could parallel with it. Out of the midst hereof was a most wonderful Eye, which I saw Sparkling, as with Flaming Streams from it. Which I am not able to Figure out, after that manner, in which it did present it self unto me. But according to this Form it was, as much as I am able to give an account of it, it was thus, or after this manner. There was a Flaming Eye in the midst of a Circle, and round about it a Rainbow with all variety of Colours, and beyond the Rainbow in the Firmament, innumerable Stars all attending this Flaming Eye. From which the Word said, the Earth and the Heavens shall flye, and nothing abide, but what can live in this Eternal Eye, as ministering Stars of Glory, before the Throne of him: who like to this Circling Eye, which thou hast seen, hath neither Beginning or End. After this Word it disappeared, leaving its Flaming Influences upon my Heart. And further of this secret Vision he did say, he would it impart, as I for its Manifestation did wait: and the signification hereof should come to be witnessed, by that rising Birth, which is called up to this Globe, among these Stars to fix, in this more excelling Firmament". A Fountain of Gardens ~ Jane Leade, July the 16th, 1676

Oh Janey baby, DON'T PUT ON THE RING!

Back