• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Boom in visitors

Aaron LeClair

Paranormal Maven
Hi. Just noticed the site has went from the long lived constant max of 7 visitors online at once, to over 60! Any ideas what caused the big boom?

Nice to see.

A.LeClair said:
Hi. Just noticed the site has went from the long lived constant max of 7 visitors online at once, to over 60! Any ideas what caused the big boom?

Nice to see.

It's also nice to see our new hosting service is able to handle higher loads. That's one reason why we switched.

Gene Steinberg said:
It's also nice to see our new hosting service is able to handle higher loads. That's one reason why we switched.

Hey Gene,

Did yall ever think about adding a chat room or would that cause too much congestion to the site?

erik5387 said:
Hey Gene,

Did yall ever think about adding a chat room or would that cause too much congestion to the site?

This is something we've thought about, but the fun of such a feature is to attract large crowds of listeners during show a live show, so we can have feedback among hosts and sometimes even our guests.

Right now our listeners hear us at different times, either online, or at our outlet in Las Vegas. So we don't have an environment that makes the chat room concept work so well.

There will come a time when this might change, in which case I can add a chat room fairly quickly and have it opened during the broadcast.

If any of you are knowledgeable about online chat room applications and have used some of them, I welcome your suggestions.

One feature that could be of use is Skype V3 has Skypecast, where 4+ voices can be heard.
Then you could choose the times when people could get together.

Gene Steinberg said:
This is something we've thought about, but the fun of such a feature is to attract large crowds of listeners during show a live show, so we can have feedback among hosts and sometimes even our guests.

Right now our listeners hear us at different times, either online, or at our outlet in Las Vegas. So we don't have an environment that makes the chat room concept work so well.

There will come a time when this might change, in which case I can add a chat room fairly quickly and have it opened during the broadcast.

If any of you are knowledgeable about online chat room applications and have used some of them, I welcome your suggestions.

Hi Gene,

One simple and easy way to add chat to this forum, would be to use this -:

http://gabbly.com/theparacast.com/forums/

Instant Chat for all who use that link. No back end software needed, all traffic usage goes via gabbly, not your hosting.

Just an idea.

Cheers!

Gene Steinberg said:

I'm here a lot and never noticed any crashes. Didn't know there was a problem.

A.LeClair said:
I'm here a lot and never noticed any crashes. Didn't know there was a problem.

We had a few slowdowns, but it's difficult to know if it's the Internet in general, your ISP or the servers used to host the site.

We were really more concerned with scaling up, having more bandwidth to get things done and the ability to add certain features that weren't available to us. I don't want to get technical about this, but we might reach a point where we have to have our own dedicated server handling all our sites. Not yet, but eventually.

Back