• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Bigfoot hand

M

michael

I've been following this story for awhile. It's about a "hand of unknown origin" that many thought to be, potentially, the hand of a bigfoot creature.

DNA tests yielded nothing substantial and many people think the hand is nothing more than a bear paw. I think the X-Rays look more human, but I'm not an expert in anatomy/biology.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Cryptomundo » DNA Test Results for “The Hand of Unknown Origin”

I took a look at the post, read the comments, and I suspect that it is indeed a bear claw. The fact that the tips of the digits were removed and the whole thing was skinned, definitely indicates tampering. Anyone who would have found or retrieved it, and recognized it as odd, would certainly not have mutilated it the way it was found, and the fact that the lab couldn't get a DNA read means the flesh had really decayed significantly. I would say that our favorite cryptoz genius, Loren Coleman would have the answer, and I'm guessing he'd say bear. If you look at the archived Paracast episode, you'll find his interview. He's truly brilliant.

dB

I agree. Loren Coleman is "Da Man" when it comes to strange creatures. According to the Mothman Lives website, he's going to be speaking at the upcoming Mothman festival in WV. I'm planning a trip down seeing as I'm about two hours away and hope to meet him and maybe pick up an autographed book.

In fact, one guest you and Gene might want to consider is Jeff Wamsley. He grew up in Point Pleasant and wrote two books regarding the incident.

Hi

I was having a drink with one of my friends one evening and the topic of discussion turned to Bigfoot. Having had too much alchohol, etc, the topic seemed appropriate. Anyway, my friend came out with the following tale, which seriously amused me at the time. He said that

---------------------
The term bigfoot had been derived from an explorer, either Portugese or Spanish (Vasca de Gamma or whoever). He landed in Patagonia. The indigenous people didn't like the look of the beardy white men in steel suits, so they cleared off and hid. Good old Vasca found their footprints but couldn't find the people. Anyway, whenever he got back home he reported that there was this land were people had big feet, much to the amusement of the court of whatever king/queen it was at the time. Consequently, the land became known as Patagonia, which my drunken friend assured me was Spanish/Portugese for "Land of the Big Foot". For many years thereafter, whenever people were on a wild goose chase they were referred to as being in search of the Bigfoot. Finally, he assured me, much to my amusement, that the indigenous people of Patagonia do, in fact, have abnormally large feet.
-------------------------

Frankly, I don't know how much truth there might be in the above story. I don't speak Spanish or Portugese so I can't validate the merits thereof. What I can say is that it produces a good laugh if your having a booze up.

Woody

Interesting story. Don Keating of the Eastern Ohio Bigfoot Investigation Center gave a talk at our local library a few months back and said the term Bigfoot was actually coined by a reporter who did a story about the creature.

Hi

After posting my tale, I became curious myself, so I Googled "Bigfoot Patagonia" and came up with some interesting stuff. Apparently, it was Magellan and, yes, the tale is mostly true. The exception being that the Patagonians don't actually have big feet, they wear big moccasins that leave big footprints.

Ah well, methinks I smell bovine excrament whenever this topic is discussed. I think you might have been suckered out of a few bucks by Don Keating of the Eastern Ohio Bigfoot Investigation Center.

Perhaps you could ask Mr Keating why he/others are searching for Welsh speaking South American indians in Ohio.

Woody

Biscardi is now saying he has what he thinks is a Bigfoot leg..... Cryptomundo has an article and poor pic of it.

As for the term Bigfoot and Sasquatch, see: below.

Bigfoot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The late Smithsonian primatologist John Napier noted that "the term Bigfoot has been in colloquial use since the early 1920's to describe large, unaccountable human-like footprints in the Pacific northwest" (Napier, 74). However, according to Loren Coleman and Jerome Clark, Andrew Genzoli deserves credit for the first formal use of the word on October 5, 1958 (Coleman and Clark, 39-40). Genzoli was a columnist and editor at the Humbolt Times, and that day's front page story showed Jerry Crew, a bulldozer operator on a road-building crew, holding an enormous plaster cast of a footprint. The text began, "While the tracks of old Big Foot [sic] have been in evidence for some time...," before detailing the worker's claims to have discovered an enormous footprint at an isolated work site [9]. Genzoli's story was picked up by the Associated Press and garnered international attention, culminating several years later into what anthropologist Grover Krantz characterized as "sasquatch mania" (Krantz, 5).

It is worth noting that Crew was overseen by Wilbur L. Wallace, brother of Raymond L. Wallace, who both later claimed to have collected conclusive evidence of Bigfoot's existence and to have hoaxed substantial amounts of it. Wallace was poorly regarded by many who took the subject seriously. Napier wrote, "I do not feel impressed with Mr. Wallace's story" regarding having over 15,000 feet of film showing Bigfoot (Napier, 89).

Sasquatch
The term "Sasquatch" was coined in the 1920s by J.W. Burns, a school teacher at a British Columbian Chehalis reservation. Burns collected Native American accounts regarding large, hairy creatures said to live in the wild. Loren Coleman and Jerome Clark wrote that Burns's "Native American informants called these beasts by various names, including 'sokqueatl' and 'soss-q'tal'" (Coleman and Clark, p. 215). Burns noted the phonetically similar names for the creatures and decided to invent one term for them all. That name, Sasquatch, happens to be similar to the word for the beast in the Chehalis dialect of Halkemeylem, sesqac (c=ts). Interestingly, proponents note, Chehalis is in the area where historic Bigfoot sightings are densest, and is generally considered to be, if anywhere is, "Sasquatch territory." The Sasquatch is, in fact, a local clan totem and the band is nonchalant about the creature's existence, except to say that the creature is camera-shy and would rather be left alone.

Over time, Burns's neologism came to be used by others, primarily in the Pacific Northwest. In 1929, Maclean's published one of Burns's articles, "Introducing British Columbia's Hairy Giants," which included the word "Sasquatch" in describing the enormous creatures.

After widespread publicity surrounding the 1958's Bigfoot reports from Humbolt County, California, researchers began searching old newspapers and documents for similar accounts, thus rediscovering and popularizing Burns's term.

To some ears, "Sasquatch" has a less sensationalistic association than does "Bigfoot," and is consequently more popular among researchers who strive for legitimacy.

Back