• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Appartion

Chuckleberryfinn

Paranormal Maven
I have discussed this event in a few other threads but never in detail. Of all of my experiences, this is the one that convinces me of the reality of paranormal phenomena in general because I have no doubt about the reality of what I saw.

I was a teenager, about 15 or 16, living in the outskirts of Lytle, TX, a tiny farming community with a population of about 2500 or so. Around us was a beautiful countryside, hundreds and hundreds of acres of prickly pears and western diamondback rattle snakes and mesquite trees and humidity and dirt roads. I fondly remember wandering through that land with my pellet gun, putting holes in birds and wild rabbits, feeding them to my dogs, tracking wild hogs, deer, and coyotes. The life of a youngster in such an environment is truly awesome.

I arrived home from a friend’s house midday, it must have been summertime. My parents had not issued me any keys to the house, so I was locked out of the house since no one was around to let me in. Hoping to pass the time and to win points with my father, I decided to mow the grass.

In our front lawn, there were two big strips of grass between which ran the driveway. Facing the road, I was mowing the left strip when suddenly there came running within ten to twenty feet of me a full blown apparition, moving fast as if it were running. I could make out the shape of a person, two legs and arms, a midsection and a head, though blurry and dark colored, like a three dimensional shadow or a pillar of night in the day. It ran across the front yard and then down the road and around a corner, I could see it running all the way down the road.

It was not a hallucination, I had never smoked pot or had any alcohol, I was not and have never been psychotic, I did not inhale any of the gas fumes from the lawn mower. These are all typical objections my skeptical friends will offer, I must have been huffing the gas fumes without realizing it, etc. I saw what I saw, I have no doubt about that, it was entirely out of normal experience and I will never forget it. It was amazing.

Thanks for sharing. I have a couple of questions, although I have no idea what the answers might mean so feel free to ignore them if you wish.

Is it correct that the apparition moved in close relation to the road, as if the road were part its reality? Also, did the movement of the apparition's legs correspond to its rate of overall speed?

The apparition was moving on the road like a person walks or runs on a road. I don't remember seeing the apparition's legs moving as it were running. The being was not entirely clear, it was like a blob of dark air and I couldn't make out the legs well enough to tell if the legs were moving fast. The arms and legs weren't well defined.

Chuck...

These kinds of stories are so amazing to me. They seem to get overlooked in the ghost hunting media shows.

Here's a question:
=============
How has your perception of the world around you changed? Are you more open minded because of this experience?

(Okay, by the fact that you are on the PARACAST forum, I'm gunna assume a little bit about the answer to that question...)

I wonder if there isn't a team of mystical paranormal "actors" hidden in the wings, beyond our perception. They will periodically leap into our realm, put on a little display, and zip out again. There is such an underlying tone of "theater" to some of these sightings, like they were performed for an effect - to JOLT the witness.

Are they appearing to jolt us into a higher form of thought? I mean, if you were to sit around with a physicist as he mused about multiple over-lapping dimensions, you are now a lot better prepared to chime in than if that never happened (maybe?)...

My personal experiences are SO fleeting and SO minimal, but - even so - my consciousness has been stretched because of them.

Also, look up "optical camouflage":

how-it-works1_48.jpg

403 Forbidden

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Invisibility cloak 'step closer'

How has your perception of the world around you changed? Are you more open minded because of this experience?

I wonder if there isn't a team of mystical paranormal "actors" hidden in the wings, beyond our perception. They will periodically leap into our realm, put on a little display, and zip out again. There is such an underlying tone of "theater" to some of these sightings, like they were performed for an effect - to JOLT the witness.

Are they appearing to jolt us into a higher form of thought? I mean, if you were to sit around with a physicist as he mused about multiple over-lapping dimensions, you are now a lot better prepared to chime in than if that never happened (maybe?)...

When I was a bit older and thought more about it, yes, it influenced the way I think about human knowledge in general, if only to make me skeptical of the materialists who diminish the importance of such experiences.

It's a pretty idea, but I do not think that anything is attempting to jolt us into a higher form of thought. Such phenomena have happened throughout all of recorded history and we're still undoubtedly thinking on a very low level.

I believe you...and I wish people who see things like this didn't feel compelled to qualify their accounts by letting everybody know they weren't drinking or puffing the 'frop to legitimize their account. I drink and smoke heavily to keep FROM SEEING these things. These things seem more likely to occur when I'm suffering a bad case of chronic sobriety. I've never seen a 'shadow person', but I have lain multiple witness to some sort of shadow cat-like thing, and once what I can only describe as a 'shadow section of 3/8" tubing about 3' long.' I do sometimes suspect there is a 'World-Next-Door'. If this is the case, consciousness-contracting drugs like alcohol and weed have no bearing on the legitimacy of accounts. In my opinion they make one less likely to percieve this element of reality. Psychedelics...yeah. If you said "I saw a 'shadow person' and I'm sure it had nothing to do with that Smurf village I had for lunch," there could be reasonable grounds for doubt. The next person who asks me how much I had to drink, or what was in my pipe after seeing something I can't explain is going to get kicked in the gonads.

Skunkape,
Don't be so sure about some of your theory they call booze spirits for a reason. I have no gonads to kick. With that siad I do believe you have weird things happening to you drunk or sober. I just don't think that you are somehow immune to this phenomena by being drunk or stoned.

Skunkape,
Don't be so sure about some of your theory they call booze spirits for a reason. I have no gonads to kick. With that siad I do believe you have weird things happening to you drunk or sober. I just don't think that you are somehow immune to this phenomena by being drunk or stoned.

It might even be easier for certain phenomena to make themselves felt while we're under the influence, since the part of the mind that says "no, that can't be happening" is currently locked in its room sulking until the other parts decide to be sensible again.

I have no evidence for this but it seems plausible at least.
That said, I do think that we're more like machines (very stupid machines) when drunk at least, so a counter-argument could be made as well.

On reflection, I really wish I'd just drunk a bottle of port to justify what I just said. So lame. So very, very lame...

Back