• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Ants And The Alien Invasion

derekcbart

Skilled Investigator
Hi there.

I'm listening to the 09/16/2007 show and getting a kick about David's discussions about ants. Well, by an amazing coincidence, a co-worker told me a couple of days ago about an older film called "Phase IV" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070531/) that is about extraterrestrials making first contact with ants rather than humans.

Apparently, this film does not exist on DVD yet, nor will it probably ever since so few people have ever heard about it.

David, I thought that you would get a kick out of this based on your comments in the recent episode.

-Derek

You can buy the out-of-print VHS tape from Amazon if you want to. Here is the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Phase-IV/dp/630021642X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-7370371-6906425?ie=UTF8&s=video&qid=1190235286&sr=8-3

I may come into "possession" of a copy in the near future too. When/If that happens a copy may be able to find its way to you.

-Derek

Speaking of ants and the last episode....there would be kinds of bacteria that certainly have more members within the species and probably more history on Earth and biomass than ants...all of that with no social organization. Single-celled organisms came before insects and are still here and have adapted to places we never imagined life could exist.

But the hive concept is an amazing example of order in the nature. Knowing that the brain of an ant is so small we could barely see it, you wonder how all this behavioral programming[/align] gets transmitted to offspring and then followed by them. It makes me think it is more than just neurons firing in the brain. That's what makes Sheldrake's "morphogenic fields" so interesting to me.

Maybe some Phase IV fan has put some of it on YouTube...

Wasn't there an X-Files episode where cockroaches were ET reconnaissance probes?

-todd.

I just checked YouTube and Google Video and it is not online. The only things that are online are one clip that doesn't show the ants and a collection of trailers that has the trailer for Phase IV.

Apparently, there are no visual effects regarding the ants. No animatronics or models or digital work. Real ants are all shot using microscopic (macroscopic?) lenses.

Back