• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Antikythera

Free episodes:

I've been interested in the Antikythera mechanism for almost 20 years and I can't cease to be amazed by it. It's one of the true, historically verified ancient technology artifacts that's more that 1000 years before it's time. I suggest the excellent book by Jo Marchant "Decoding the Heavens" for good information on the contraption and the history of its discovery. The delicate clockwork and the array of information that one could extract from this mechanism is impressing. It was a calendar, an astronomical/astrological device, a navigation instrument, a moon phase indicator, an eclipse predictor and an olympic games calendar. It's the ultimate out of place and time artifact.

I'm pretty sure there's been at least one and possibly two episodes of the Paracast that have mentioned this object.

Back