• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

A question about the Forum banner ads

Wade

FeralNormal master
So last night i purchased 3 works by William Michael Mott including Caverns, Cauldrons, and Concealed Creatures. I purchased them via the kindle app on my phone.

This morning on my way to work I went to the forum but I didn't actually log in...also on my phone...and was greeted by a banner ad featuring works by Mr. Mott. Ordinarily I wouldn't have given much thought to this just a matter of cookies. But it occured to me that the Web browser I was using to look at the forum was opera mini which uses a proxy server to fetch the page and compress the data. So what I was wondering is considering I made the ebook purchase NOT via the opera mini app and the amazon Web site but by a standalone app and saw the banner ad on a seperate app (opera mini web browser ) , would the appearance of these books be considered a coincidence or would any tracking cookies be able to transcend different apps?

Last edited:
So it's just a situation where the publisher of his books has paid for space on the forum and I subsequently noticed it ?

I don't want to be intrusive but when this happens is a set upon agreement how often this ad would appear within a given period?

Tbe reason why I'm bringing this up is...as you may have ascertained previously ... I'm obsessed with coincidences and it was a series of coincidences that i experienced last night that led me to his work and being these ebooks were so cheap I downloaded them on a whim. Less than 24 hrs. ago I never heard of the guy and very soon after I ordered his books I find them being pitched to me.

The code for the banners simply changes them in equal percentages; none get priority. So if it's a coincidence, it's a big one.

So last night i purchased 3 works by William Michael Mott including Caverns, Cauldrons, and Concealed Creatures. I purchased them via the kindle app on my phone.

This morning on my way to work I went to the forum but I didn't actually log in...also on my phone...and was greeted by a banner ad featuring works by Mr. Mott. Ordinarily I wouldn't have given much thought to this just a matter of cookies. But it occured to me that the Web browser I was using to look at the forum was opera mini which uses a proxy server to fetch the page and compress the data. So what I was wondering is considering I made the ebook purchase NOT via the opera mini app and the amazon Web site but by a standalone app and saw the banner ad on a seperate app (opera mini web browser ) , would the appearance of these books be considered a coincidence or would any tracking cookies be able to transcend different apps?

The Google banner ads do track you across different websites. I've noticed it too: "You may come across such ads when you’re viewing a website, video, or app on Google’s Display Network or other partner sites. In addition to seeing ads based on the types of sites you visit, you may also see ads based on your interests and more."

I go to auctions, i buy to resell mainly to trade outlets, so therefore i do my research online, i mainly buy to sell to people i know, and have dealt with before, example ive just been checking out 2 porcelain urns, banner ads for urns will be popping up everywhere now.
Along with ads for case's of gift wrapping paper, cases of greetings/birthday card's, case's of christmas crackers, whatever lots ive been checking wholesale price's on, BBQ's etc, targeted advertiing is how Google make their dosh.

The Google banner ads do track you across different websites. I've noticed it too: "You may come across such ads when you’re viewing a website, video, or app on Google’s Display Network or other partner sites. In addition to seeing ads based on the types of sites you visit, you may also see ads based on your interests and more."

for the record, the same banner ad just popped up one day later while logging on from a library computer w/o logging into the forum i.e.i was lurking so i'm chalking it up to a coinky-dink.

I respect your request to turn off Adblock Plus for your site and will do so. However, I passionately dislike ads that continuously move, e.g., GraphicConverter, Voipo2 and Fate Magazine, and would never purchase from a company based on such an ad. Notably, Adblock Plus is set to allow for "non intrusive" ads but it appears that all of the ads that run on your site are not classified by Adblock Plus as such. Also, Ghostery currently lists 6 (six) trackers on your site and your forum page. You have one for Facebook, three for various Google locations, one for Double Click and one for Twitter. I don't much like that and will leave Ghostery on.

Adblock Plus expects you to pay them to be part of their network. I am not pleased with that setup as you might imagine. Our ad trackers aren't tracking anything but ad clicks so we get paid. Period. It's it pittance if you want to know.

We do not put up intrusive ads. If we tried some of those schemes we might make a little money from it.

Back