• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

A hypothetical situation.

T

Tommy Allison

Let's say every day, a cat stares up at my window from my alley. This cat, just stares, does nothing, but stares. It looks just like MY cat, but isn't my cat.

You never see the cat show up, and you never actually see it leave.

If one were to take a photograph of it, should one expect to photograph a cat?

If said cat were just an alien, using a screensaver like Derrel Sims talked about?

Solving the Schrödinger's equation associated with the probability of finding or not finding the cat in the foto gives me the following solution! here's the pictorial representation of the same! :D

schrodingerslolcatrt9.jpg

neuromancer said:
Solving the Schrödinger's equation associated with the probability of finding or not finding the cat in the foto gives me the following solution! here's the pictorial representation of the same! :D

schrodingerslolcatrt9.jpg

Cute cat, but my wife is allergic. We can only handle dogs, so long as she walks them of course :rolleyes:

Tommy Allison said:
Let's say every day, a cat stares up at my window from my alley. This cat, just stares, does nothing, but stares. It looks just like MY cat, but isn't my cat.

If said cat were just an alien, using a screensaver like Derrel Sims talked about?

When you say "hypothetical" do you really mean "actual"? To me this sounds like "I have a friend, who has a problem...".

My advice - take a picture and see for yourself...

...after all, the camera NEVER lies, right? :)

Tommy Allison said:

Not sure I follow. Is this a sort of thought experiment like Schrodinger's cat? If the cat is a hallucination, no pic would show a cat. If it is a real cat then yes you could take a pic of it.

I know of some cases where it is thought by some that owls, deer, aliens etc. were used as screen memories. I guess one could say that your seeing a cat is alien or human mind control, but I wouldn't conclude that over a real cat or hallucinating without supporting evidence. I saw none given in the hypothetical. Any conclusion is a belief to some degree. The degree is dependent on the quality and quantity of evidence/facts and knowledge that backs it up or not. Low evidence = more room for belief. High evidence = less room for belief and more reason and possibility of a fact and certainty. Sorry, a little hard to explain.

I actually had a friend who had a similar experience.

I was debating on drawing a comic about this sort of thing where aliens would be impersonating, or seeding someone's mind with something else in order to fool the person into believing they weren't seeing an alien.

I think it's been done before though.

Back