• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

23 Mar 2008 Show - Coalition for Freedom of Information

Not to pile on with a "me too" but I'd generally have to agree regarding the whole disclosure/exo thing. To my knowledge there seems to be a very good case for the idea that somewhere in the military industrial complex exists a collection of data--reports, photos, film, sensor data, etc. but beyond that it is far more speculative. I can appreciate the position that it would be great to have a responsible government sponsored reporting center or information clearing house but I just don't think it is remotely realistic in the current U.S political and intellectual climate. Even in the case of a forced hand, ie. motherships landing on the White House lawn, given the track record of the government on this issue it would seem questionable to take any disclosed info at face value. The United States government has, for the foreseeable future, lost all credibility with the people on the issue. They apparently can't be trusted to not juggle the climate and environmental impact stats so how can anyone conclude that they would even approach transparency on ufo data?

I think I can also understand why foreign officials would place such a high importance on having an official U.S. project on the issue but I wonder how much of this view is distorted by experience, both positive and negative, with their own governments. From my vantage it would seem more productive and realistic to get all the other countries to band together and start a cooperative and transparent information collection and sharing project. Creating a climate where everybody but the U.S. is involved would seem to bring far more leverage to the situation than sitting around waiting for the U.S. to start something. If these other countries are serious about this stuff it seems to me it would be trivial to start releasing official data in the same manner that Mexico recently released the FLIR footage. (even though it looks like that had a natural explanation the process of openly releasing the footage was progress) If we get seven members of the G8 openly publishing everything they have then we might make some real progress.

To reference Stan Friedman again I think the biggest first step in the right direction would be made through organized efforts to lower the laughter curtain for the scientific and technical classes and raise the level of informed public discussion. The subject needs to be made safe for scientists to think about and discuss openly among their peers and with the general public without fear of ridicule and reprisal. It seems obvious to me that one of the biggest problems with compartmentalizing all this stuff is that it inherently limits the pool of brainpower examining it and prevents cross-pollination of ideas.

There are certainly some important and serious-minded scientists out there that take the issue seriously but presently they seem to be restricted to hanging out in small cliques and publishing the odd paper here and there. I would imagine that there are more than a handful of serious scientists out there that would wet their pants if they could leave their day job and devote themselves to this subject full time.

It seems to me that scientists acting as private entities need to take control of the situation, organize, acquire their own gear, and begin to publish their findings in a completely open and transparent manner. There is far too much inertia behind the status quo to be sitting around waiting for government research grants. I think Grant Cameron makes a good point that you can't have just a "little bit" of disclosure and unless you can get a million people marching on Washington there ain't nothing gonna happen. Grants from wealthy private benefactors seem far more realistic to me.

If we want clean data and good answers it seems to me that we'll have to obtain them ourselves.

Am I the only one that has never heard that the soldiers were told not to carry guns the night of the Rendlesham UFO? Where did Valee get this information from, do we have proof?

Who told the soldiers to leave their weapons behind? Lt Col Charles Halt was the one in charge of the base! And do we know that it wasn't standard practice to leave the weapons behind if going into the woods?

Feel free to add that info here with sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendlesham_Forest_Incident

I also wish you guys would get over your petty problems with Friedman just because he feels that the ET hypothesis is the most likely explanation, IT IS! And you asked him about other options, and he said they could be, but ET made the most sense. You guys drag him through the mud with those little comments, and he is one of the best and most credible researchers on the subject. Mentioning it once is one thing, but how many times has this been brought up?

Miah,

All of the testimony I've read from the soldiers clearly indicates that they were told to leave their weapons behind. It's in the book "Left at East Gate", it's in nearly every account I've read, so it would seem that this is indeed the case. The fact that they were told this makes the whole story that much more odd, it seems highly counterintuitive.

We have certainly NOT dragged Stan Friedman through any mud, we've questioned his conclusion that the majority of UFOs are interplanetary craft and we will continue to do so. Get a grip, we have nothing to clearly indicate that these are NOT interdimensional craft or beings, quite the contrary.

dB

Leaving your guns behind would have been standard operating procedure for servicemen going off-base. As someone who used to spend a lot of time in these bases (including Woodbridge) I can say it would be absolutely unthinkable (and illegal) for soldiers to bring their weapons off the bases onto British land. It's part of the agreement Americans have with the British, you respect the jurisdictional limits when going off-base. What was odd was that they were allowed off the base at all to investigate in what was the jurisdiction of the British police.

That said doesn't make it any less weird. The "choice" of RAF Woodbridge/Bentwaters as a location could have been deliberate for just this reason, US troops wouldn't be able to bring much in the way of firepower and would only be able to investigate up to certain limits- an automatic "damage control."

What I find weird also was that Rendlesham began December 26th 1980, and Cash-Landrum was December 29th, 1980. Almost like something was being "brought home."

There are far more facts pointing to the ET hypothesis than anything else, everything else is just guessing. We don't even know that another dimension exists.

So you disagree with him about WHAT EXACTLY that causes you to bring up his name so often in a negative context?

Koji K. said:
Leaving your guns behind would have been standard operating procedure for servicemen going off-base. As someone who used to spend a lot of time in these bases (including Woodbridge) I can say it would be absolutely unthinkable (and illegal) for soldiers to bring their weapons off the bases onto British land. It's part of the agreement Americans have with the British, you respect the jurisdictional limits when going off-base. What was odd was that they were allowed off the base at all to investigate in what was the jurisdiction of the British police.

There ya go!

So nobody bothered to check this point before the show? Vallee missed it?

I am not trying to be "downer Miah", but most listeners who trust The Paracast don't bother to check the forums.

Miah,

In regards to the UFO paradox, it's my opinion that EVERYTHING is essentially just a guess. Seriously - if you can bend space time and travel faster than light, guess what? You're now part of the inter-dimensional club. And for the last time, we like Stan, he's a frequent guest on this show, but we don't agree with everything he says. What's the problem?

Advanced physics does indeed deal with the reality of a universe for more complex than we've known until the last couple of decades. I highly recommend Lisa Randall's "Warped Passages" for a detailed, scientific study of the possibilities of the hidden dimensions and how we often see glimpses of them from confines of our limited POV.

dB

David Biedny said:
We have certainly NOT dragged Stan Friedman through any mud, we've questioned his conclusion that the majority of UFOs are interplanetary craft and we will continue to do so.

To be fair to Stan, one of his talking points in every damn presentation he does goes something like "This means that some (underline "some" 20,000 times) UFOs are interplanetary spacecraft..." Since we don't actually KNOW, some of them could be... or not... anyway...

I shall join the chorus in singing the praises of this particular episode. Definitely in the top 10 episodes!

Miah said:
There are far more facts pointing to the ET hypothesis than anything else, everything else is just guessing.

So, what are the "facts", if they are so abundant, that point so distinctly to an ET presence.

As mentioned for starters, we know that the universe is huge and more than likely does have life out there somewhere that likely does have advanced technology to ours. On the other hand, there is no proof that an alternate universe exists at all.

We also know they fly at great speeds, why do they need ships at all if they can just walk in and out of our reality?

Most abductees when asked are told they come from another planet/universe.

Need I go on?

Look, I'm not saying that the ET hypothesis is the answer either, we don't know what the frak they are. But to constantly slam Friedman because he refers to them as most likely ET is getting old.

I love the show, I take issue with this alone.

Koji K. said:

I can confirm that Colonel Halt relayed this to me when I interviewed him for Best Evidence, as have a number of other people I talked to about the case - foreign troops traipsing about the British countryside with guns just wasn't an option, and the sightings in the forest, where the US had no actual jurisdiction, occurred off of the bases, which were leased from the UK. I'm sure Dr. Vallee was aware of this, but it's not a point that is fundamental to the case in any material way.

Paul

No one else seemed to be wondering what I was wondering while listening to this show. Every time Leslie referred to her "High Level People" or printing articles in "High Level Newspapers" I wanted to know the following:

1. How many Hit Dice
2. What is their Armor Class
3. What do they drop for treasure.

-DBTrek

DBTrek said:
No one else seemed to be wondering what I was wondering while listening to this show. Every time Leslie referred to her "High Level People" or printing articles in "High Level Newspapers" I wanted to know the following:

1. How many Hit Dice
2. What is their Armor Class
3. What do they drop for treasure.

-DBTrek

Hehehe....

PS. RIP Gary Gygax

RE: ETH

I think some are extra-terrestrial, because of the near earth space sightings by astronauts, the moon sightings, and some other stuff like the like the Mars shootdown of the Russian probe.

None of this qualifies as "proof," but it's also enough to say that the ETH is probably part of the bigger picture. Nor more and no less.

I wish there was a good name for a "whole grab bag, the universe is very, very strange" theory. This would allow for paranormal phenomina to come from the ETH, the CTH, the diminsional crossover theory (DTH?), etc. Maybe that's what Ultra-terrestrial means, but the Ultra-terrestrial sounds like a new superhero more than a creature.

I'm interesting in see how people categorize the various kinds of sightings, experiences, and theories.

There are definately some nuts and bolts crafts. Do people feel that they could be interdimensional nuts and bolts crafts as well as ET and other kinds?

The "visitations" (and abductions) seem to have elements of nuts and bolts, but mostly fit the Jungian and interdimensional (and time shifting) theores.

I wonder if we have to separate these kinds of experiences and theories.

Considering the fact that the vast majority of space (of all kinds) is empty, I suspect that the existence of intelligent life in the universe must draw beings across all kinds of space and time to it. Eventually we will come to check out other life in the universe too.

I notice that this topic is the specific focus of a very interesting thread in the Freewheeling Forum, called WTF Are We Talking About. I think I'll continue this there.

This show raises the bar for future shows. Great guest who, as we can see here, really sparked some interesting conversation about serious topics. Ms. Keane seems really dedicated to pursuing the truth, which is something we should all be able to relate to - and everyone deserves a bit of sound argument to temper their own thoughts and beliefs...great discourse.

Nice job, Gene and Dave!

paulkimball said:
I'm sure Dr. Vallee was aware of this, but it's not a point that is fundamental to the case in any material way.

I'm unsure if it's not fundamental to the case though, given Vallee's presentation of the case in the context of possible "dubious dealings"/psyops/tests/etc in his book dealing with the same. IMO, it's probably not fundamental to the case, but I can view a scenario where it might be. I posted this in another thread, and while it's a "longshot" view with some holes, I think it's worth considering, particularly if one is looking at the case in the context of a psyop or test:

---------------

Consider for example trying to penetrate an airfield of that size by, say, flying a helicopter into it. It would get shot down pretty fast, needless to say. Now what if you could incapacitate the guards by having them stare in awe at a light show? Or a simulated UFO landing? "High Strangeness" can be a potent weapon. (This is just one possible rationale for simulated UFO activity, I am not trying to sum up [Vallee's] book [but he points all this out].) ... Let's say you were testing this "UFO weapon":

You want a controlled subject sample. You want soldiers in the subject sample and you want it near as possible to an active installation. BUT you don't want them deciding it's a major threat, shooting at it and/or being able to sweep up any solid evidence if something goes wrong. How do you do this?

You simulate it on foreign soil just outside a US airbase where the US troops you are testing it on have no jurisdiction to open fire or bring out anything more than a pre-defined and "established" search team BUT still have authority to search. If anything goes wrong with the experiment, you shoo them back to their base and tell them the local authorities will be handling it (or someone ostensibly better placed to liase with those authorities.) Everything can be swept under the rug with some minor diplomatic cover-story. (The Brits do, incidentally, have a special response team devoted to handling nuclear accidents and other incidents at airbases on UK soil. So you could just say "these guys will take it from here" and send in your men in black or whoever.)

-----------------

That said, there are some holes, one of which is that I'm sure you could fabricate such a "limited damage/no weapons" situation in many other places, including "home" in the US. This isn't of course to criticize Vallee, who I respect greatly, it's just something I am wondering aloud about. It's an aspect at least worth considering if you're taking the Vallee view that this may have been an "artificial" UFO case.

Koji K. said:
You want a controlled subject sample. You want soldiers in the subject sample and you want it near as possible to an active installation. BUT you don't want them deciding it's a major threat, shooting at it and/or being able to sweep up any solid evidence if something goes wrong. How do you do this?

There's only one problem with this: if the soldiers in question, who included the deputy base commander, had perceived a real threat to the base, and the nuclear weapons that were stored there, you can bet that they would have taken action, jusridiction or not. As it was, they did not perceive an actual threat, so were content to merely observe.

Paul

paulkimball said:
There's only one problem with this: if the soldiers in question, who included the deputy base commander, had perceived a real threat to the base, and the nuclear weapons that were stored there, you can bet that they would have taken action, jusridiction or not. As it was, they did not perceive an actual threat, so were content to merely observe.

Paul

I'm not sure if that would be a problem to the idea so much as a variable within it. Hence the benefit of removing them from their weapons, so any escalation would have to go through at least one level of command rather than happen "on the spot." They would call in reinforcements or whatever and by the time they got there someone else with the proper jurisdictional authority (and "in" on the operation) would be waiting, ready to take command of the situation. But I take your point- I'm not wedded to the idea, and this could well be a problem with it.

Back