• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Suggestion for new forum

Free episodes:

Gene and the mods have plenty to do... why don't you just ignore the rants right where they are?
you are not required to read things that do not interest you.

I think one can rant about any topic. And it may be debatable whether a statement is a rant or not. But thanks for your suggestions.

I thought rants were long winded diatribes or discourses about something passionate to someone.
I think the kind of rants ratfinkT23 may have been referring too are abusiveposts, or name calling, or just being an asshole.

I myself am guilty of the former on several occassions, but I don't think I've ever done, or will do, the latter.

I like most of the rants on here, they're interesting and sometimes actually make a point.

exo doc said "I think the kind of rants ratfinkT23 may have been referring too (sic) are abusiveposts (sic), or name calling, or just being an <vulgar word deleted>."

That is exactly what I mean. I think that if there was a place where people who are hostile to Christianity could post their opinions then maybe the rest of us could easily avoid those posts.

Since Mr. Steinberg has rejected the idea for a Rant forum, how about a thread titled "What I hate about Christianity" where those hostile to Christianity can post their opinions? Then perhaps we could avoid threads that mention Christianity bring hijacked by those who wish to malign Christianity. My goal is to allow everybody to post whatever they wish but in places easily avoided by folks who don't like to read hostile material.

I dunno man ... I'm not really into hate speech. As much as I'm against censorship, it wouldn't bother me if it wen't the way of smoking in public places. I don't need noxious editorial fumes any more than I need second hand smoke. There are plenty of other websites they can go to if they just want to trash talk. But at the same time let's not confuse hate speech with rational thinking. Just because someone exposes critical flaws in some belief system isn't the same as hate speech.

I dunno man ... I'm not really into hate speech. As much as I'm against censorship, it wouldn't bother me if it wen't the way of smoking in public places. I don't need noxious editorial fumes any more than I need second hand smoke. There are plenty of other websites they can go to if they just want to trash talk. But at the same time let's not confuse hate speech with rational thinking. Just because someone exposes critical flaws in some belief system isn't the same as hate speech.

Bingo, this isn't a religious forum so you're going to get people of all kinds, if you can't deal with someone questioning or even criticizing your belief system (as long as they do it within the guidelines of the rules of the forum) you should go somewhere else. The Paracast is about separating the signal from the noise and to do that we use tools like science and rational thinking, so naturally when you bring up subjects that don't contribute to removing said signal from said noise, and in fact can just add more massive amounts of noise, people are going to take you to task for it. Grow a thicker skin, what makes you think that your belief system should be any less questioned or criticized than any other set of beliefs? Basically you don't want anything posted that criticizes your beliefs where you can see it? Are you joking? Go start your own forum and you can censor whoever you want.

Sorry ratfink, but I don't agree with censorship or quarentining anyones comments,....unless they become abusive like I said above.

Besides, I haven't read any posts on here "bashing" Christians. If you can find any, please point them out to everyone. Gene and Chris will make sure it gets what it deserves.
What I have read on here are civil opposing viewpoints about why some do not agree with Christianties tenets. Don't mistake non-agreement for bashing.
You can also post your viewpoints about why you agree with Christianity. And, you can present counter arguments. Several people on here have opposing viewpoints about things, yet we manage to get along for the most part......even through very heated disussions. Join in and have fun!
But just don't expect Christianity to get special treatment from anyone here. It's open to critical thinking just like everything else.

exo doc said "I think the kind of rants ratfinkT23 may have been referring too (sic) are abusiveposts (sic), or name calling, or just being an <vulgar word deleted>."

That is exactly what I mean. I think that if there was a place where people who are hostile to Christianity could post their opinions then maybe the rest of us could easily avoid those posts.

Since Mr. Steinberg has rejected the idea for a Rant forum, how about a thread titled "What I hate about Christianity" where those hostile to Christianity can post their opinions? Then perhaps we could avoid threads that mention Christianity bring hijacked by those who wish to malign Christianity. My goal is to allow everybody to post whatever they wish but in places easily avoided by folks who don't like to read hostile material.

BTW I have to ask ratfink. What compelled you to correct the writing in my post? Just wondering if you were an English teacher or something.

I think it takes some balls to join a forum and then immediately set about trying to remodel it.

There are approximately a million places on the web to argue about religion. At least as many places where you can discuss religion among like-minded people who patrol the sites for troublesome dissent. If you want an honest discussion, start a thread. If you want reassurance, this might not be the place.

exo_doc said "BTW I have to ask ratfink. What compelled you to correct the writing in my post? Just wondering if you were an English teacher or something."

I didn't correct the spelling errors in your post. I quoted a portion of your post and noted the words that were spelled wrong. That is common is common in well written books so the reader will know that the author didn't misquote the source.

I am not an English teacher. Having lived in Texas on Oklahoma all my life, (proper) English isn't even my first language. I am, however, a something.

No offense intended ratfink. I just thought it was unusual is all. But everyone on this forum is unusual in one way or another. You just reminded me of a copy editors style.
In any event, let me unofficially and in no way acting in any kind of Paracast official capacity welcome you to the forum ratfink who is a "something". I think you'll have fun here if you give it a chance.

Why are you only making this about hostility to christianity? That makes me think you are a christian defending that religion. You don't seem to be out to defend islam or any other?

Anyone for instance calling a religious person something unkind just for being religious would be dealt with accordingly but you cannot have reasonable discussion about the truth/untruth of religion and call that ranting?
Sorry but you just appear to be defending christianity which I will take as your own religion.

I think christianity is as dumb as any other religion. I think it is utterly man-made and not inspired by 'god' and I do not think Jesus was anything other than self-proclaimed.

Many of my family are religious so I am careful to distinguish between the followers and the religion itself.

How does what I've just posted meet with the rant/not rant criteria?

goggs

Back