• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Musical Interests

Free episodes:

Travis T. Warren, solo, doing a Zeppelin cover. This guy has got a serious set of pipes. I'm still bummed Blind Melon booted him. They would probably have another album wrapped up by now.

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip...p;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip...p;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href="
">Travis Warren acoustic 11-28-07 Lancaster, Pa</a> from <a href="mark">mark</a> on <a href="Watch, share and upload your high quality videos | Vimeo">Vimeo</a>.</p>
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

David,

Thanks for doing the Paracast. I look forward to it every week. I just wanted to say I love the fact that you mentioned Sigur Ros as one of your favorite bands. I love that band with al my heart. I just got "Von" on vinyl and will be ordering the reissues of "Ágætis Byrjun" and ( ) on vinyl. I'm pretty dang excited. If anybody on this forum wants to see the most beautiful music DVD's ever made, they should go buy or rent "Heima" by Sigur Ros. It makes me want to visit Iceland so bad. Ok, that's enough slobbering over Sigur Ros.

One of my favorite bands is a band that deserves a bit more attention than they are getting right now. They are a rock band out of Portland Oregon that go by the name "Viva Voce". They are or were a Husband and Wife band that made their last 3 or 4 albums out of their house. When I say their house, I mean it. I heard they were even using their bathroom. They have new album coming out on the 26th of May titled "Rose City" on Barsuk Records. They even added 2 new members to the band on this album. Everyone should check these guys out.

Now THIS is a juicy thread. Oh yeah, baby, music is my true obsession.

So as far as music goes, I think that Ritzmann is a metalhead freak. Damned distorted guitars, whatsa matter with ya, Ritzmann, acoustic strings not good enough for ya?

I remember listening to Iron Maiden back in the early eighties, though I preferred Judas Priest, in terms of songs and the guitar tone. And Deep Purple, man, that Live in Japan album just tore my mind up. Electric guitar has always had a strong pull on my musical tastes.

It all started with The Beatles, and the Yellow Submarine movie. I also grew up in a household where there was lots of classical music - Mozart, Bach & Beethoven - as well as soundtracks. I adore the soundtrack to the movie "The Ten Commandments", as well as "Exodus". Bernard Hermann is a hero - think Hitchcock, or Citizen Kane.

OK, here's a totally incomplete list of bands/musicians I listen to often, besides my absolute favorites, Radiohead:

The Posies, Sigur Ros, Chris Whitley (an old friend, may he Rest in Peace), Jimi Hendrix, Porcupine Tree, Butthole Surfers, Pixies, Meat Puppets, Emerson Lake & Palmer, The Black Keys, Zep, Sabbath, first two solo Ozzy albums, Alan Parsons, R. L. Burnside, Alan Holdsworth, Zappa, Neil Young, Yes, John Zorn, Larry Fast/Synergy, Tomita, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Billie Holiday, old Elton John, and a bunch of other stuff that evades me at the moment.

As far as musical instruments, I'm a synthesist and guitar wanker. I grew up with funky electric organs, the ones with the one-key magic chord. I started programming analog synths (Arp 2600) at the age of 13, and have been noodling on electric guitar since the same age. I become the second Electro-Harmonix dealer in Venezuela at 15, and I currently have a somewhat extensive collection of pedals and other weird audio toyz. I LOVE Ableton Live, am enthralled with MetaSynth, adore Absynth, could not live without PSP Vintage Warmer and the Wave Arts MasterVerb and TrackPlug plugins. My main guitars are a PRS CE24, a Variax 300 (which I scored for $300, most versatile guitar in the universe), and a Taylor 414CE acoustic. I also own an amazing, one-of-a-kind electric guitar from a Canadian madman luthier, here it is. Amazing instrument.

And talking about the Eurovision Song Contest (which was won by Norway, I think it was on the weekend), I present to you the Paracast audience, the greatest Eurovision Song Contest winner that never was:

Oh, and don't have nightmares :D

pps ... damnation. This is from the official Channel 4 "user" on Youtube. Apparently they have disabled the "embedding function" ... so you can't embed the video in places like here. Damn officious idiots. Youtube is really starting to go down the gurgler. Oh well ... you can still see the above video by clicking on the "link" above which will take you to the actual video on Youtube ... not a greatly happy (para)schtick

Oh, you wanna get Euro do ya? I, the American ambassador to Molvania, present 'Zlad.'

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Wikimedia Error
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

skunkape,
This needs to be added to the DMT research and atmosphere that is being talked about on the other board.

My grandma really dug Marty Robbins. I remember watching this Steve Martin skit with her when I was a little kid. We both laughed to tears.

<a href="Featured Content on Myspace">EL PASO - MARTY ROBBINS STEVE MARTIN</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=19073056,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=19073056,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

This video has some awesome visuals for all you animal lovers. I like the group too and own several of their CDs.

Delerium - Producers Lyrics

Well I never :D. Delerium is a side project of one of the guys from Front Line Assembly. And strangely enough I have on my ghetto blaster at the moment a compilation I made of a few rare FLA and other tracks by the same guys. The only track that bores me to tears and is the only one I skip when it comes on is a Delerium track :D.

Oh well no accounting for taste I suppose :p.

Anyway here be-ith another tasty chunk of FLA goodness. I mean who the hell needs guitars anyway :D:

Front Line Assembly - Plasticity:

Parashtick,
The video from your favorite group that I posted you have to scroll down a little and you will enjoy every minute of it.

I usually hate rap. It is too often grossly self-centered and materialistic. This is good rap. It might make a soul or two realize that coveting "bling and bitches" is not what it's all about.
there is plenty of good rap out there, you just have to look past whats popular. try dead prez, K'naan, Del tha Funkee Homosapien, sage Francis, or mos def. those are good places to start.

as far as what im listening to right now:
Electronic: Daft Punk, Modeselektor, Thievery Corperation, Bassnectar

Rock/Alt/Indie: The Smiths, Tool, Joy Divison, Radiohead, Band of Horses, My Bloody Valentine, Animal Collective, Nine Inch Nails

Rap: Aceyalone, Del, K'naan, Astronautalus, Murs, NAS, Saul Williams

Just finished listening to this track:

Dreamerion — Cold cold wind — Listen and discover music at Last.fm

it's an entirely free download.

From the artist's page:

Dreamerion is a gothic/dark ambient/neo-classical solo project of Jakub Ernestowicz that was formed in 2004. The main subject matter is title ghost – Dreamerion, who takes and prepares children to leave this world.

...The rest of the bio makes things seem morbidly creepy but I find the music is enchanting, intelligent and soulful.

I love to be able to say that I like this band!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bring on the noise, it is a journey through audio heaven and hell and back again

i give you My Bloody Valentine, saw them at coachella for the first time this year.... my jaw was on the floor... amazing

Back