• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Musical Interests

Free episodes:

This is the aesthetic opposite of the Devo video. I'm in love with its drabness. The camera work is smooth, though.

It's GVB doing a Joy division cover. Unlike The Killers, they lack suck. I actually prefer it to the original. There. I said it.

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

For your trance magik pleasures:

<embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

For the ladies (and me):

<embed src="

Buckethead and Bernie Worrell join Les Claypool's Fancy Band.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="
"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

... music I'd have buried with me:

blue nile - hats [ heartbreaking, rainy glasgow streets ]
beach boys - smile [ the dumb angel's maester-werk ]
asia - asia [ guilty pleasure, played it till the cassette tape snapped ]
prince - sign of the times [ unrelenting dark funky genius ]
aphex twin - selected ambient works vol 2, druqs [ dark, timeless and beautiful ]
boards of canada - music has the right to children [ if you were a child in the 70's this will make you smell your childhood - not of this world ]
wim mertens - soundtrack to belly of an architect [ powerful ]
eric satie - any of his piano music
led zeppelin - 3 [ folktastic ]
vangelis - blade runner [ I want a CS80 ]
yes - close to the edge [ andersons lyrics, howes guitar, brufords drums ]
allan holdsworth - metal fatigue [ fusion but melodic ]
david sylvian - gone to earth [ 2nd disc with robert fripp, jon hassell, etc ]
and finally;

slint - spiderland [ turn the light off and listen to this, the uplifting dark album ever, from spidersweb subtlety to colossel waves of killer guitar, ok enuff... ]

... hey getting a bit carried away... but that's what music does to you ;)

The Orange Tulip Conspiracy...good stuff. Catch'em if you get a chance.

Orange Tulip Conspiracy - Latest News

These guys are bad-ass.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

slint - spiderland
... hey getting a bit carried away... but that's what music does to you ;)

My god ... never thought I would see something as obscure as Slint here :p. Well I never. Anyway, I remember John Peel playing this when it first came out and found it scarey in a real creepy ghost story kind of way then ... and I still do now that I've heard it again (first time in a while pop pickers).

Anyhow ... must dig out the CD ... couldn't find the original album anywhere when I first heard it. Still not entirely sure what the song is about though either... probably something pleasant I imagine involving puppies. Might be time to dig out the ancient headphones and have a closer listen :eek:.

Anyway ... while I'm doing that how about these big thick slices of ebm (electronic body music for those not in the know):

Front 242 and this snappy little number, "Operating Tracks" (from their first album, "Geography") ...

and ... surprisingly, 'Tragedy For You' by ... Front 242 from a few years later :D:

I HATE!! The Beautiful South!!!....All their stupid supposedly clever songs about pencil cases!!! HATE HATE!! ARGH!!!!

"Pretentious" was a word built especially for "The Beautiful South". :D
Actually ... "twaddle" was also a word built especially for TBS too. Put them together and what do you get pop fans??? :D.

But I digress, young paddawang (or whatever it is ... you know ... that Star Wars wordy thing that old Liam Neeson had to spit out every five minutes before he got his arse handed to him on a stick by that fabulous Darth Maul blokee)

... you will one day get past the "hit-your-head-violently-against-the-wall-in-a-real-bugger-of-a-headache-inducing-kind-of-way", and just smile inwardly knowing that at least you were a higher level being not to buy that really stupid bloody tune about pencil cases or whatever the flamin 'eck that sodding bloody record was about. :D

Oh and Wet Wet Wet??? Oh dear ... see above and then some. Weren't some of the Geneva conventions drafted after the many Wet Wet Wet horrors this band were responsible for in the late eighties and early nineties??

Anyway I am reliably informed that one is indeed allowed to garotte anyone who is in your general vicinity and who mutters something like "actually they weren't bad really in a blue eyed soul kind of way".

So ... to wipe out the many horrors flooding back into my weary noggin after pondering the many crimes these two horrific bands have committed that time itself will one day apologise for here's Front Line Assembly with "Prophecy" (youtube video made by a fan for this top flight industrial tune):

"Pretentious" was a word built especially for "The Beautiful South". :D
Actually ... "twaddle" was also a word built especially for TBS too. Put them together and what do you get pop fans??? :D.

But I digress, young paddawang (or whatever it is ... you know ... that Star Wars wordy thing that old Liam Neeson had to spit out every five minutes before he got his arse handed to him on a stick by that fabulous Darth Maul blokee)

... you will one day get past the "hit-your-head-violently-against-the-wall-in-a-real-bugger-of-a-headache-inducing-kind-of-way", and just smile inwardly knowing that at least you were a higher level being not to buy that really stupid bloody tune about pencil cases or whatever the flamin 'eck that sodding bloody record was about. :D

Oh and Wet Wet Wet??? Oh dear ... see above and then some. Weren't some of the Geneva conventions drafted after the many Wet Wet Wet horrors this band were responsible for in the late eighties and early nineties??

Anyway I am reliably informed that one is indeed allowed to garotte anyone who is in your general vicinity and who mutters something like "actually they weren't bad really in a blue eyed soul kind of way".
]

Hello slightly older person....Paddawang?.....Thought the word was "paddlethwack"....Totally agree with your comments about TBS and Wet Wet Wet....But don't get me started on bands that I do not like as I would be here ranting all night long...Deacon Blue (Argh!)...The Water Boys (OOO-Eurgh!!!).....The House Martins (Oh please, Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!)

Bands "wot I does like"....
Surgery - absolutely fantastic first (and only?...maybe, maybe not) album....so intense!
Soundgarden - All their stuff is just soooooooo good. I had to stop listening in the car to their album "Down on the Upside" because it was just sooooooo distracting. I love that album so much, but it really does literally take me out of this reality - Damn it is so good!!
Music for me can be such an escape - it is quite remarkable....
The Orb are in the same league as Soundgarden for taking me out of reality - just so fantastic and one of my absolute favourites.
OOPS...gone off waffling again....:D

Cool thread....I sort of have a multiple genre disorder...:)

Likes: Nightwish (even after Tarja left), Epica, Dio, Dream Theater, Opeth, TSO, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Alice Faye, Harry James, Loreena McKennitt, Kitaro, Medwyn Goodall, Julia Fischer (awsome classical violinist), Anne Akiko Meyers(another awsome classical violinist)

Dislikes: very few really...perhaps Hispanic music (Ranchera etc). Tried to listen. Got recommendations from Spanish friends but to no avail. Just didn't click.

I find it almost impossible to listen to the late, great Hasil Adkins and not start drinking whiskey and firing my shotgun in the air.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yAhJMI8En08&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

There is a primal honesty in his songs that I envy.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Ok I gotta contribute some music to the thread. This is an old manchester band called The Chameleons:

Ok I gotta contribute some music to the thread. This is an old manchester band called The Chameleons:

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>
Needs more cowbell.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Does anyone remember, or has anyone heard of a band called Men Without Hats? They had a hit in the 1980s called The Safety Dance, which had one of the more interesting lyrics of the time. It went something like, "C'mon everybody....Take a look at your hands..."...Why? What are my hands going to do? Are they suddenly going to morph into giraffes or large beetroots or something?...I don't think so!!!:D

I usually hate rap. It is too often grossly self-centered and materialistic. This is good rap. It might make a soul or two realize that coveting "bling and bitches" is not what it's all about.

Back