• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Consciousness and the Paranormal — Part 4

Free episodes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you all agree that the evidence is overwhelming by way of direct correlation, that the brain, as part of a normally functioning human brain/body system, is responsible for generating consciousness in humans? A simple "Yes" or "No" would suffice.
You say: "generating consciousness in humans."

I want to be careful with the terms "generating" and "in." Yes, I've used both those terms myself.

I want to be careful with the term "generating" because one could assume it suggests the brain is creating/secreting some type of physical/material stuff.

I think consciousness is real, but I don't think it is a "material" that is generated/created/secreted by the brain; and that includes any kind of objective, physical field.

I also hesitate to use the word "in" because, again, that implies an objective, spatial position for consciousness, which is hard to quantify. Interestingly though, consciousness does seem to unfold according to quantifiable (at least via 1st-person reports) temporal positions.

So, the strongest statement I feel I can make at this point is to say that: human consciousness is correlated to specific spatiotemporal brain processes. The nature of that correlation, imho, is still unknown.

Furthermore, the two approaches for determining the nature of this association (the hard problem) that most interest me at the moment are IIT and Higher Order Thought theories.

Last edited:

I want to be careful with the terms "generating" and "in." Yes, I've used both those terms myself.

I want to be careful with the term "generating" because one could assume it suggests the brain is creating/secreting some type of physical/material stuff.

I think consciousness is real, but I don't think it is a "material" that is generated/created/secreted by the brain; and that includes any kind of objective, physical field.

I also hesitate to use the word "in" because, again, that implies an objective, spatial position for consciousness, which is hard to quantify. Interestingly though, consciousness does seem to unfold according to quantifiable (at least via 1st-person reports) temporal positions.

So, the strongest statement I feel I can make at this point is to say that: human consciousness is correlated to specific spatiotemporal brain processes. The nature of that correlation, imho, is still unknown.

Furthermore, the two approaches for determining the nature of this association (the hard problem) that most interest me at the moment are IIT and Higher Order Thought theories.

Dr Dean Radin, who has developed the most robust data on consciousness under strict laboratory conditions, suggests that the brain is not unlike a radio or television receiver. It does not generate consciousness but rather partakes of the consciousness of a collective field mind.

Rupert Sheldrake suggests a similar concept of a collective mind which the individual brain shares.

Parapsychology researcher Dean Radin on ESP, spirituality, and how the consciousness of individuals is connected - SFGate

Last edited:

Consciousness is Not a Computation | Nova Spivack - Minding the Planet

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.—'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.'—Is it so bad then to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Pharoah, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood."

You may enjoy this talk:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...qr5Po6eV_NSIgSmvMza8Vog&bvm=bv.99261572,d.aWw

about 10-11 minutes in, he discusses augmented reality and the possibility of the question "who is making the decision"? questioning free will and individuality at that time and contrasting his vision of the Singularity from Kurzweill's ...

This turns out to be of interest (I think) to others on the forum, so here is the transcript from the audio above:

Nova Spivack: World Renowned; Pioneering Global Technology Visionary, Innovator, Strategist, Entrepreneur, Investor - Top Interview - Social Media for China Business

Here is an interesting piece:

(@ufology: see the underlined in particular) - many theories make the assumption that each brain is an individual "unit"

lex Lin: Now, what do you mean by the singularity in 2029 (when the human brain equals $1)?

Nova Spivack: That's really a Kurzweil idea. Over the years there had been different dates predicted for when the singularity will happen. One set of predictions shows that in 2029 the computing power, equivalent to the computing power of a single human brain, will cost about one dollar. For a dollar, you could have as much computations as the human brain does. If that's true (that's amazing), it could mean for example, that you could be wearing a wristwatch that was as computationally powerful as the human brain. You could have a human brain in every software application. You could have human brains effectively out on the Web.
Now, here's where it gets a little tricky. First of all, how much computation does the human brain really do? Well this figure, which Ray Kurzweil and his people came up with, is based on some assumptions about the level of computations which happen in the human brain.

Basically, they are assuming that these computations happen only at the level of neurons. But in fact, that may not be true. There is research that shows that computations happen at many deeper levels, smaller than neurons in the brain – at the chemical level for example; at the level of interfaces between connections between neurons.

In fact, there's even evidence that it happens at a quantum level in structures called microtubules, which are very, very small (within the structure of the brain). These are many orders of magnitude smaller than neurons. And if that's true, then there's actually a lot more computations happening in the brain than Kurzweil thought when he made that computation. And what that means is in fact, it may take a lot longer for the actual amount of computations happening in the human brain to cost only a dollar.

But let's forget about the question of how long it takes for a minute. Will it ever happen? If we had an infinite amount of time, will it ever happen? That's an interesting question. Could we ever do as much computation as the human brain does?

That's a pretty deep question because we don't really know today whether the human brain is actually separate from the rest of the universe.

It gets to that question where are we really isolated, or are we all part of the whole? If in fact the computation of human brain does, at such a deep quantum level, somehow connects to the very fabric of reality then it would be very difficult to separate that from computations about space and time, computations of the universe itself. On some level, technology is going to take us back to the same set of questions that Taoism and Buddhism (and Hinduism) have taken us as well. At the end of the day, the questions are: "Who am I?" and "How am I connected to the universe?", "What is all this?", "How does it work?", "What's the connection between self and other?"

We will get back to that question through technology eventually. Because when we start looking at this question, "where is the computation happening - is it in my brain, is it the universe, what's doing the computation?" Ultimately we may find that every brain is just a piece of a much larger computer, the universe. And you can't separate those two things. You can't separate the brain from the universe; it's one system.

If that's the case, then it will never be possible to put the amount of computation that is happening into anything, because effectively there's an infinite amount of computation happening, and certainly we're not going to get an infinite amount of computation for a dollar anytime soon. So it's a deep philosophical question, but on a technical level, whether it's all the computation of the human brain or just a huge amount of computation, I think it will happen within a few decades. We'll get to a very huge amount of computation very inexpensively. That's going to change our lives, it will change the world. There are many things today which we are not doing with computers right now, because it's too expensive to do the computation. But when the price of computation gets that much cheaper, and it's that much smaller, or it's accessible over the web, we'll see very powerful computation showing up on devices we don't have today. For example in phones: being able to listen and automatically annotate a phone call, take really good notes, make connections, and perhaps on a little display, while you're talking to somebody make suggestions or show reminders or links to related files. You can do amazing things just by analyzing the content of a phone call, augmenting it during the call. You could do the same things with video conferencing; you could do the same thing for walking down the street or driving a car. All of these just require a lot of computation, and the only reason why that stuff is not happening right now is because the computation is still is too expensive.

You [Ufology] say: "generating consciousness in humans." I want to be careful with the terms "generating" and "in." Yes, I've used both those terms myself. I want to be careful with the term "generating" because one could assume it suggests the brain is creating/secreting some type of physical/material stuff. I think consciousness is real, but I don't think it is a "material" that is generated/created/secreted by the brain; and that includes any kind of objective, physical field.

I think we have to recognize consciousness as an aptitude (capability) and an immaterial power that develops gradually in the evolution of life. Because we know that it has evolved, we need to look back, as Panksepp does, to the beginnings from which it evolves in primordial organisms. It begins with 'awareness' -- a sense of being in relation to that which exists beyond the organism's own boundaries. From this basis organisms and species become increasingly aware of that which exists beyond them and in relation to them. And increasingly in evolution organisms and animals possessing awareness become aware of themselves. Consciousness thus becomes more complex and significant in the evolution of species. But it could not begin without awareness -- 'affectivity' as Panksepp identifies it in extremely primitive organisms (and as Maturana and Varela identified it earlier in the single-celled organism). The primary sense must be 'touch', the impingements of that which exists outside the cell, the organism, on itself.

All of that suggests that the subjectivity of consciousness and mind arises in relation to objective properties in the world, i.e., the physicality of the organisms's actual environment. Could consciousness {as we experience it} take root and develop in a nonphysical world? On what basis could we argue that it could? I'm putting these two questions out for discussion.

By your last sentence I take it you mean that consciousness develops in time understood as temporality. And indeed we recognize the temporal ground of consciousness in ourselves and others, especially as we observe the changes and developments of consciousness in our children. But we can also reflect upon these changes and developments in the recollected history of our own consciousness as we have experienced changes in the world and changes in our ability to grasp them, understand them. We think and act always in the present moment, but always out of an accumulating background of understanding of ourselves and the nature of the reality in which we live. So that, setting aside those who have lost access to their memories or the ability to integrate the present with the past, we know that our core consciousness is one and the same with our currently experienced consciousness.

Moreover, consciousness cannot be located in the brain for it exists also in our bodies, and to a great extent it exists also in the mileau of our relations with others, particularly those with whom we are most intimate. This mileau of emotional and mental entanglement with others supports (or fails to support) our sense of integration with the world in which we together find ourselves existing. All of this cannot be characterized as a 'physical field' since we cannot identify the physical constituents that could produce it and sustain it.

Does consciousness produce its own fields, through interaction with the fields produced by other consciousnesses? I think so, and I think these fields cannot be defined as physical or material fields. As parapsychological research has demonstrated, communication between individual fields of consciousness cannot be blocked by any physical means.

Beyond these considerations, we need also to contemplate the distinction between personal consciousness shaped by lived experience in the local world in which we exist and the impersonal consciousness that seems to exist just behind it or beneath it or above it, the consciousness accessed most fully in deep meditation. We also sometimes access that zone of impersonal consciousness while we are involved in deep reflective thought, for example in extended reflection on difficult philosophical problems or theoretical problems in science or cosmology. Afterwards we instantly resume the personal consciousness with which we navigate the immediate world of our experiences. This phenomenon of periods of impersonal consciousness is probably among the most mysterious aspects of consciousness that we can explore.

Last edited:

This is a good overview of the unresolvable problems in the computational hypothesis concerning mind. As the author recognizes, we cannot understand consciousness without recognizing the full range of its activities and experiences, and we cannot account for all of those in terms of computation.

I looked for the paper he referred to at the end of this one but could not connect to it. Have you been able to do that Steve?

More goodness:

The approach taken in the book you're referring to is still a very mechanistic, materialistic approach, trying to find some physical thing in the brain that corresponds to the consciousness – whether it's a process, or pattern, or a particular way neurons fire are the certain conditions that's the source of consciousness. I don't think that will succeed.

I think those approaches may find some analogues, some things correlated in the brain with certain experiences that we have. So when we see something that we recognize, there's a neural signature, and you can detect that. That's the basis of next generation lie detectors, which can actually detect whether you've seen or remember something by looking at the neural fingerprint of that experience in your brain.

So we'll be able to see some correlations between sensory experiences and mental experiences and the brain. But that doesn't actually locate the source of consciousness. That locates perhaps, the source of conception, where the concept is and how they [neurons] are firing at it. When we talk about consciousness, there's a very specific distinction that we have to make, and that is what do we really mean by consciousness? Do we mean an entire landscape of thought, or do we mean something more precise? That is the entity that's actually aware, or witnessing of what is taking place. These are two very different phenomena, and in the West when we talk about consciousness, we don't make that distinction; we're very messy when we talk about this.

This is a good overview of the unresolvable problems in the computational hypothesis concerning mind. As the author recognizes, we cannot understand consciousness without recognizing the full range of its activities and experiences, and we cannot account for all of those in terms of computation.

I looked for the paper he referred to at the end of this one but could not connect to it. Have you been able to do that Steve?

Can you give me the specific reference?

@smcder @Soupie @Constance @ufology
I will leave the following pdf up for a weekish.
http://mind-phronesis.co.uk/JCS-response.pdf

Feedback welcome as always.

Thanks for posting the above Pharoah. Here are some responses I've jotted down to the referees' remarks:

REFEREE 7

"p. 2, parag. 2, line 6: “What should we call this correspondence with fact? Undoubtedly … and this truth is justified by virtue of its qualitative relevancy; it is qualitative and relevant to the species as a whole…” I do not want to dispute that the sun’s location is “represented in the plant’s physiological mechanism” (ibid., line 2 from bottom) – namely that the physiological mechanism carries information about the sun’s location – nor that such an informed construct is relevant to the species, nor that it is “devoid of conceptual representations”. Why, however, should we think that it is qualitative? or qualitatively relevant? The answer to this question depends, of course, on what the A means by “qualitatively relevant”. Does the A assume that being qualitatively relevant entails being consciously experienced by the plant? If so, then this claim is highly controversial and it would need to be supported by some argument. Does the A assume that being qualitatively relevant does not entail being consciously experienced by the plant? If so, then the A should say so. In that case, however, what does it mean to say that it is qualitatively relevant? One could simply say that it is “Non-conceptually represented”. Otherwise, the A should make clear in what sense such an unconscious non-conceptual representations is qualitatively relevant. This question is crucial since a large part of the article rests on the notion of qualitative relevance and on various uses of “qualitative” which remain unclear in that respect. The A should make clear whether these uses of “qualitative” do entail consciousness or not.

Response: I think the confusion for the referee arises from his hanging on to the analytical language of ‘representation’ which constrains nonphenomenological thinking about consciousness. He/she does seem able to recognize that experience {felt qualities} can be both conscious and unconscious/subconscious. But he seems to demand that for subconscious or nonconscious experience to be significant for consciousness {to provide orientation or ‘knowledge’ of some sort} that knowledge must be ‘represented’. We have no idea how the subconscious mind ‘represents’ that which it absorbs and remembers, but we do know that the subconscious ‘knows’ many things about our situation in the world prereflectively. That means noncognitively – a noncognitive kind of ‘knowing’ that is built up and maintained through/during prereflective experience and continues to be significant for reflective consciousness and mind. This SEP article on “Mental Representation” is a good place to begin thinking critically about ‘representation’: Mental Representation (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

“Section 6: This section suggests that perhaps the answer to my first question (whether the plant’s qualitatively relevant physiology entails that the plant is conscious of qualitative differences) is that the plant is not conscious, since those physiological processes are only at the level of assimilation. (The same remark would also apply to Berrybug’s qualitatively delineated mechanisms.) On this interpretation, consciousness (phenomenal experience) arises only at the level of evaluation. If so, then the A should make it clear.

Response: ‘assimilation’ is another term that is tossed about (by analytical philosophers and some scientists) without clear definition. These people need to read phenomenology, neurophenomenological research, and affective neuroscience if they are to grasp the way in which experience and learning first take place preconsciously or unconsciously in all organisms.

REFEREE 4

“(2) The author discusses phototropism in plants. He or she says it involves representation but of a nonconceptual kind that does not involve belief. In the next section, when discussing a thought experiment in which scientists discover an alien organism that they judge to be a phototropic plant, the author says plants have ‘knowledge’ and are ‘informed’ of various things, using scare quotes without explanation.”

Response: This reader seems in this comment to suffer from essentially the same problem – same undefended presupposition – as the first reader: i.e., that knowledge can only be conscious.” Pharoah’s use of the word ‘information’ as an alternative for ‘knowledge’ is in fact confusing, as it is in Soupie’s reliance on ‘information’ to account for consciousness and mind , though Soupie and probably Pharoah as well recognize that ‘information’, if it accounts for anything, should function at the subconscious as well as the conscious level [though not necessarily in the same ways]. We still have no well-explicated ‘grip’ on what constitutes ‘information’. Until we do, relying on this undefined concept in papers on consciousness and mind begs too many questions (in my opinion).

This reader goes on to say: “No distinction between types of knowledge or senses of “knowledge” is drawn here, nor does the author reference the extensive discussion of the distinction between conceptual and non-conceptual representation in the philosophical and psychological literature. Nor is any argument for the author’s view given. The author should try to articulate his or her view more clearly, compare it with other views defended in the literature, and then offer some argument or other for the superiority of his or her view.”

Response: The underscored needs attention for the next version of the paper (and also I think among us here in this thread). Have we yet read the discussions the reader is referring to that distinguish conceptual from non-conceptual representation? I think we’ve read some POM papers that do this, but maybe not the most critical ones? The reader goes on in the next paragraph to refer to Searle's and Block’s physicalist approaches:

“Block and Searle both have biological accounts of consciousness, but Block differs from Searle in allowing non-biological representation without “qualia” by drawing a distinction between phenomenal and access consciousness.”

Response: What does Block mean by ‘non-biological representation’? And how solid is the distinction between phenomenal consciousness and access consciousness? Has analytical philosophy considered how prereflective experience in the world accesses the subconscious and thence influences reflective consciousness and mind?

“(6) The author goes on to endorse the reasonable [re]view that higher-order representations and evaluations of those states represented play a role in the construction of subjective perspectives, which are lacking in animals that don’t represent and evaluate their first-order representations. But, again, the view is not articulated clearly, nor is it supported against criticisms or compared with alternative accounts of the evolution of subjectivity.”

Response: I think Panksepp is the major resource to be brought in, and early, in the paper. {Note the vagueness of the above assertion: “higher-order representations and evaluations of those states represented play a role in the construction of subjective perspectives.” What’s needed is a deeper and broader understanding of what else plays a role in the construction of subjective perspectives from the bottom up.}

“(7) The author says, “To possess phenomenal experience is to assimilate and to evaluate, and thereby to understand the relevancy of qualitative environmental experience.” What difference does the author impute between “phenomenal” and “qualitative” that would render this thought coherent? The author seems to be sketching a view on which there are both non-conceptual and conceptual forms of higher-order representation where the non-conceptual ones are common to both humans and other animals but the conceptual ones are unique to humans (and perhaps other primates?). This is a reasonable hypothesis, but, again, one would like it clearly articulated and supported with some sort of argument.”

Response: I think the advice in the last sentence is good. I understood Pharoah’s quoted sentence on first reading because we have discussed the issues involved at length here. The reader might have understood the sentence more easily if he understood the ramifications of qualia, but understanding qualia requires going beyond what Chalmers has given POMs to work with. Maybe clarifying this is one of the ways in which Pharoah can educate his next readers.

“(8) The definition of “knowledge” that does not entail belief, which is given on p. 17, needs to be unpacked and explicated with examples. The author seems to suggest that if I infer the relative location of the sun from the direction in which a flower is pointing that I have knowledge without belief. But this doesn’t seem at all correct to this reader.

Response: Reader seems to have lost the plot here (unless you really did suggest what he thinks you suggest). The reader’s problem is his restrictive application of the term ‘knowledge’, inherited from the positivism embedded in the analytical school. Here is a paper I’ve recently read that might useful at this point:

Bill Brewer, “Perception and Reason” http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/philosophy/people/faculty/brewer/ppr.pdf

What we have there is a précis of Brewer’s book by the same title followed by his responses to several comments by respondents at a symposium conducted on the book. The paper is challenging but worth it since it engages some of the issues raised by Pharoah’s readers.

Last edited:
Can you give me the specific reference?

Yes, the title of the paper is provided with the link embedded in the last paragraph of the article you linked, but the embedded link does not work for me:

"If you are interested in exploring the nature of consciousness more directly, the next article in this series, Recognizing The Significance of Consciousness, explains what consciousness is actually like, in its pure form, and how to develop a better recognition of it for yourself."

One could simply say that it is “Non-conceptually represented”. Otherwise, the A should make clear in what sense such an unconscious non-conceptual representations is qualitatively relevant. This question is crucial since a large part of the article rests on the notion of qualitative relevance and on various uses of “qualitative” which remain unclear in that respect. The A should make clear whether these uses of “qualitative” do entail consciousness or not.

This SEP article on Nonconceptual Mental Content might be helpful. I don't know that it is since I've just found it:

Nonconceptual Mental Content (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Yes, the title of the paper is provided with the link embedded in the last paragraph of the article you linked, but the embedded link does not work for me:

"If you are interested in exploring the nature of consciousness more directly, the next article in this series, Recognizing The Significance of Consciousness, explains what consciousness is actually like, in its pure form, and how to develop a better recognition of it for yourself."

Is that link in color, by chance?

I clicked what you put above and got a 404 not found - some of the links on his site do that, I'll try some other searches and see what I can find for you.

(@ufology: see the underlined in particular) - many theories make the assumption that each brain is an individual "unit" ...
On the idea of "individual units", it's well known that the brain is made up of several regions with specialized primary functions. Those regions e.g. the visual cortex, might be interpreted as individual units within a larger whole. It's also obvious that "each brain" as a whole can be considered to be an "individual unit", even if it works together with other "individual units". So I'm not sure what the point of pointing that out is, other than, perhaps, the author's need to attain an arbitrary word count.
Basically, they are assuming that these computations happen only at the level of neurons. But in fact, that may not be true. There is research that shows that computations happen at many deeper levels, smaller than neurons in the brain – at the chemical level for example; at the level of interfaces between connections between neurons.
Again, I don't see the relevance. We can say the same thing about a CPU, or even an individual transistor. We could say that computation in computers happens at the level of electrons as they pass through the gates.
In fact, there's even evidence that it happens at a quantum level in structures called microtubules, which are very, very small (within the structure of the brain). These are many orders of magnitude smaller than neurons. And if that's true, then there's actually a lot more computations happening in the brain than Kurzweil thought when he made that computation. And what that means is in fact, it may take a lot longer for the actual amount of computations happening in the human brain to cost only a dollar.
Maybe it's relevant. Maybe not. It may be the case that the chemical reactions going on at the molecular level of microtubules don't have anything to do with computations that affect the mind, but instead are geared toward cellular maintenance or some other function that has no correlation to thinking. Would we still call that function "computation"? It's a trickier question than it first seems. We normally think of computation as a process that requires an intellectual problem to solve and a mechanism to solve it rather than something operating on natural physical laws of arbitrary cause and consequence.

But at the same time, is it necessary for all problems to have originated within the frame work of intellect? Why shouldn't the problems and solutions arising out of nature not count? Is the brain itself not a product of nature that evolved out of problems presented by nature? A bit of a paradox there perhaps.

At any rate, if we assume that computation takes place at the level of molecules, it seems to me that in order to avoid confusion, we'd have to invoke a set of hierarchies that distinguish autonomic functions like cellular maintenance, from the large scale operations taking place in billions of cells that correlate to thought.

That's a pretty deep question because we don't really know today whether the human brain is actually separate from the rest of the universe.
I suppose it depends on your philosophical belief. The subjective idealist will have an entirely different perspective on that question than the materialist. One might argue that there seems to be a little wiggle room in Dualism to squeeze in both ideas, but to remain coherent, that ultimately distills down to Physicalism ( even though that may make physicalists uncomfortable ).

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the above Pharoah. Here are some responses I've jotted down to the referees' remarks:

REFEREE 7

"p. 2, parag. 2, line 6: “What should we call this correspondence with fact? Undoubtedly … and this truth is justified by virtue of its qualitative relevancy; it is qualitative and relevant to the species as a whole…” I do not want to dispute that the sun’s location is “represented in the plant’s physiological mechanism” (ibid., line 2 from bottom) – namely that the physiological mechanism carries information about the sun’s location – nor that such an informed construct is relevant to the species, nor that it is “devoid of conceptual representations”. Why, however, should we think that it is qualitative? or qualitatively relevant? The answer to this question depends, of course, on what the A means by “qualitatively relevant”. Does the A assume that being qualitatively relevant entails being consciously experienced by the plant? If so, then this claim is highly controversial and it would need to be supported by some argument. Does the A assume that being qualitatively relevant does not entail being consciously experienced by the plant? If so, then the A should say so. In that case, however, what does it mean to say that it is qualitatively relevant? One could simply say that it is “Non-conceptually represented”. Otherwise, the A should make clear in what sense such an unconscious non-conceptual representations is qualitatively relevant. This question is crucial since a large part of the article rests on the notion of qualitative relevance and on various uses of “qualitative” which remain unclear in that respect. The A should make clear whether these uses of “qualitative” do entail consciousness or not.

Response: I think the confusion for the referee arises from his hanging on to the analytical language of ‘representation’ which constrains nonphenomenological thinking about consciousness. He/she does seem able to recognize that experience {felt qualities} can be both conscious and unconscious/subconscious. But he seems to demand that for subconscious or nonconscious experience to be significant for consciousness {to provide orientation or ‘knowledge’ of some sort} that knowledge must be ‘represented’. We have no idea how the subconscious mind ‘represents’ that which it absorbs and remembers, but we do know that the subconscious ‘knows’ many things about our situation in the world prereflectively. That means noncognitively – a noncognitive kind of ‘knowing’ that is built up and maintained through/during prereflective experience and continues to be significant for reflective consciousness and mind. This SEP article on “Mental Representative” is a good place to begin thinking critically about ‘representation’: Mental Representation (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

“Section 6: This section suggests that perhaps the answer to my first question (whether the plant’s qualitatively relevant physiology entails that the plant is conscious of qualitative differences) is that the plant is not conscious, since those physiological processes are only at the level of assimilation. (The same remark would also apply to Berrybug’s qualitatively delineated mechanisms.) On this interpretation, consciousness (phenomenal experience) arises only at the level of evaluation. If so, then the A should make it clear.

Response: ‘assimilation’ is another term that is tossed about (by analytical philosophers and some scientists) without clear definition. These people need to read phenomenology, neurophenomenological research, and affective neuroscience if they are to grasp the way in which experience and learning first take place preconsciously or unconsciously in all organisms.

REFEREE 4

“(2) The author discusses phototropism in plants. He or she says it involves representation but of a nonconceptual kind that does not involve belief. In the next section, when discussing a thought experiment in which scientists discover an alien organism that they judge to be a phototropic plant, the author says plants have ‘knowledge’ and are ‘informed’ of various things, using scare quotes without explanation.”

Response: This reader seems in this comment to suffer from essentially the same problem – same undefended presupposition – as the first reader: i.e., that knowledge can only be conscious.” Pharoah’s use of the word ‘information’ as an alternative for ‘knowledge’ is in fact confusing, as it is in Soupie’s reliance on ‘information’ to account for consciousness and mind , though Soupie and probably Pharoah as well recognize that ‘information’, if it accounts for anything, should function at the subconscious as well as the conscious level [though not necessarily in the same ways]. We still have no well-explicated ‘grip’ on what constitutes ‘information’. Until we do, relying on this undefined concept in papers on consciousness and mind begs too many questions (in my opinion).

This reader goes on to say: “No distinction between types of knowledge or senses of “knowledge” is drawn here, nor does the author reference the extensive discussion of the distinction between conceptual and non-conceptual representation in the philosophical and psychological literature. Nor is any argument for the author’s view given. The author should try to articulate his or her view more clearly, compare it with other views defended in the literature, and then offer some argument or other for the superiority of his or her view.”

Response: The underscored needs attention for the next version of the paper (and also I think among us here in this thread). Have we yet read the discussions the reader is referring to that distinguish conceptual from non-conceptual representation? I think we’ve read some POM papers that do this, but maybe not the most critical ones? The reader goes on in the next paragraph to refer to Searle's and Block’s physicalist approaches:

“Block and Searle both have biological accounts of consciousness, but Block differs from Searle in allowing non-biological representation without “qualia” by drawing a distinction between phenomenal and access consciousness.”

Response: What does Block mean by ‘non-biological representation’? And how solid is the distinction between phenomenal consciousness and access consciousness? Has analytical philosophy considered how prereflective experience in the world accesses the subconscious and thence influences reflective consciousness and mind?

“(6) The author goes on to endorse the reasonable [re]view that higher-order representations and evaluations of those states represented play a role in the construction of subjective perspectives, which are lacking in animals that don’t represent and evaluate their first-order representations. But, again, the view is not articulated clearly, nor is it supported against criticisms or compared with alternative accounts of the evolution of subjectivity.”

Response: I think Panksepp is the major resource to be brought in, and early, in the paper. {Note the vagueness of the above assertion: “higher-order representations and evaluations of those states represented play a role in the construction of subjective perspectives.” What’s needed is a deeper and broader understanding of what else plays a role in the construction of subjective perspectives from the bottom up.}

“(7) The author says, “To possess phenomenal experience is to assimilate and to evaluate, and thereby to understand the relevancy of qualitative environmental experience.” What difference does the author impute between “phenomenal” and “qualitative” that would render this thought coherent? The author seems to be sketching a view on which there are both non-conceptual and conceptual forms of higher-order representation where the non-conceptual ones are common to both humans and other animals but the conceptual ones are unique to humans (and perhaps other primates?). This is a reasonable hypothesis, but, again, one would like it clearly articulated and supported with some sort of argument.”

Response: I think the advice in the last sentence is good. I understood Pharoah’s quoted sentence on first reading because we have discussed the issues involved at length here. The reader might have understood the sentence more easily if he understood the ramifications of qualia, but understanding qualia requires going beyond what Chalmers has given POMs to work with. Maybe clarifying this is one of the ways in which Pharoah can educate his next readers.

“(8) The definition of “knowledge” that does not entail belief, which is given on p. 17, needs to be unpacked and explicated with examples. The author seems to suggest that if I infer the relative location of the sun from the direction in which a flower is pointing that I have knowledge without belief. But this doesn’t seem at all correct to this reader.

Response: Reader seems to have lost the plot here (unless you really did suggest what he thinks you suggest). The reader’s problem is his restrictive application of the term ‘knowledge’, inherited from the positivism embedded in the analytical school. Here is a paper I’ve recently read that might useful at this point:

Bill Brewer, “Perception and Reason” http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/philosophy/people/faculty/brewer/ppr.pdf

What we have there is a précis of Brewer’s book by the same title followed by his responses to several comments by respondents at a symposium conducted on the book. The paper is challenging but worth it since it engages some of the issues raised by Pharoah’s readers.

@Constance: Interesting appraisal. As would be expected, you have very different thoughts to me regarding the referees' comments.

I think of an appeal against a decision as similar to the appeal one might make against a parking fine. Namely, one must find fundamental errors in the administration of comments (or the law for parking).

Referee 7 does not have any unanswered major objections: no parking fine was given.
Referee 4 i) critiques things he/she thinks I have written but have not written: you can't give someone a parking fine if they didn't park where the parking attendant said you parked; ii) The referee also shows two examples of not knowing how to assimilate sentences that are really not that complicated: the parking attendant does not seem to know what a car is; lastly, iii) the referee thinks I should have written about other things: the parking attendant is saying I should have travelled by horse.
My suggestion is that the parking attendant finds a different job (I don't suggest this... lol)

Dr Dean Radin of the Institute for Noetic Sciences addresses the issue of individual consciousness as part of a larger shared consciousness, and also the aspects of consciousness that are not bound to linear time.

Two of his books:

Entangled Minds: Extrasensory Experiences in a Quantum Reality

Supernormal: Science, Yoga, and the Evidence for Extraordinary Psychic Abilities ( links psychic phenomena to the siddhis experienced by yogis.)

Dr Dean Radin of the Institute for Noetic Sciences addresses the issue of individual consciousness as part of a larger shared consciousness, and also the aspects of consciousness that are not bound to linear time.

Two of his books:

Entangled Minds: Extrasensory Experiences in a Quantum Reality

Supernormal: Science, Yoga, and the Evidence for Extraordinary Psychic Abilities ( links psychic phenomena to the siddhis experienced by yogis.)

Hi dmanister, we've discussed Radin's work on the C&P threads a bit and you might also search other threads for discussion, to see what has been said on the forum ... I think he is very interesting. I've read Entangled Minds and one other book by him and would love to discuss his ideas.

I like his work on how scientific paradigms change ... regardless of how one feels about his work, I think he provides one of the clearest explanations of how consensus changes ... it's in a chapter of maybe Entangled Minds, not sure ... I'll see if I can find the reference.

You will also find some discussion on the C&P thread around his evidence page:

http://deanradin.com/evidence/evidence.htm

I went through a number of the studies on that page and especially the work by Jessica Utts
JESSICA UTTS' HOME PAGE

You might also be interested in Robert Jahn's work - Princeton Engineering Anomalies research ... and then I think he went on and did additional research - I have read one of his books.

You might also enjoy Dean Radin's interview with Jeff Kripal (#2 at the link below)

http://www.jonescinemaarts.com/impossible-talk/

I look forward to your comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back