• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Consciousness and the Paranormal — Part 2

Free episodes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
What an excellent resource, Steve. Kudos for finding it. This paragraph is particularly helpful as a succinct overview of the core ideas expessed by this new French movement:

"E. Terms
Speculative Realism is generally considered “a useful umbrella term, chosen precisely because it was vague enough to encompass a variety of fundamentally heterogeneous philosophical research programmes.” (Brassier, 2009) These philosophies, while at once radically different from one another, could be said to find some coherence in their opposition to correlationist philosophies; to quote Ray Brassier again, “the only thing that unites us is antipathy to what Quentin Meillassoux calls ‘correlationism’—the doctrine, especially prevalent among ‘Continental’ philosophers, that humans and world cannot be conceived in isolation from one other—a ‘correlationist’ is any philosopher who insists that the human-world correlate is philosophy’s sole legitimate concern” (2009). An analogy could be drawn to the term “postmodernism,” which is used to label a very diverse set of theories which nonetheless could be said to be united in their opposition to the modernist project of enlightenment."

I think that Quentin Meillassoux is the one I need to read next since he appears to be the philosopher in this group who first reacts against phenomenological philosophy. I'm ready to give up the idea that "the human-world correlate is philosophy’s sole legitimate concern" {and I'm not sure I ever subconsciously subscribed to that idea}, but I want to find out the particulars of his critique of Merleau-Ponty re this basic premise. In my reading of MP, I think this claim must be difficult to support given MP's posthumously published work, especially that published under the title Nature and the insight into the chiasmic relation of subjectivity and objectivity in the previous book The Visible and the Invisible and the key paper "Eye and Mind."

Anti-Correlationist thought - the gist is that there is a world out there and that it can be accessed as it is, right? The human being is not privileged then ... we're objects like other objects. This and your writing above helps further define phenomenology for me ... in a way we are un-bracketing?

@Pharoah, have you discussed this paper by Panksepp in the google forum?

The flow of anoetic to noetic and autonoetic consciousness: A vision of unknowing (anoetic) and knowing (noetic) consciousness in the remembrance of things past and imagined futures

I've tried to follow the link to the forum that you sent me but am having some trouble due to my having forgotten I already had a google address connected to my usual email address and I have to use that google address/email from which to follow your link. I don't remember how I signed in at google but will find out somehow.

Last edited:
I don't think the mind itself is 'stratified', unless you're referring to traditional concepts of the hierarchical relationship between consciousness and the 'subconscious' (including the personal biographical subconscious, the deeply, bodily, unconscious, and the collective 'unconscious' which would better be referred to, I think, as the collective subconscious). The "subconscious mind" is now becoming a viable concept in several lines of brain/mind research as a result of recognitions of the degree to which we often operate on the basis of the 'automatic pilot' it provides.

Moreover, when we come to recognize the sources of 'meaning' expressed by our species (beginning in artistic expression and expanding in other forms and directions of expressiveness) we are confronted with works of the 'mind' that involve both prereflective consciousness and reflective consciousness. It seems to be the case, as parapsychologists and psychical researchers have long recognized, that the mind works with and through subconscious ideation and subconsciously received information as well as active waking consciousness. In other words, there are subconscious inflows into the conscious mind through permeable 'boundaries'. Rather than adopting the iceberg metaphor to denote the conscious mind's distinction (separation) at the water line from the 90 percent of human protomentality situated beneath and beyond conscious thought/mentation, it might be more valid to think of the conscious mind and the subconscious mind as interrelated in a more fluid environment {say, for example, an underground spring issuing into a body of water, in which what is sensed and inchoately 'known' in the underground water remains intermingled with what becomes visible and otherwise sensible and thinkable in the pool of water that forms at the surface (which is continually charged by what continues to flow upward from the spring's source deep in the earth in cases where the spring issues not just in a local body of water but one which flows into a river eventually issuing in a sea).

It's just a metaphor but it might be an accurate one to represent the holism of consciousness realized at and through various levels of existence in its issuing and evolution from its ultimate grounding conditions in physical nature. To carry the metaphor a little further, the water issuing from deep underground springs -- such as the one located 20 miles from where I live, claimed to be the deepest underground spring on the planet, is extraordinarily clear by the time it pools at the surface and begins its subsequent issuance in a river that empties into the Gulf of Mexico -- incredibly clear except after considerable storms in the area during which tannin from tree roots on and beneath the banks of the pool leaks into the water and stains it the color of strong tea. I think we are intrinsically 'one' with the natural world in which, from which, we have evolved, despite the development of consciousness and mind by which we are able to stand a degree or two apart from 'what-is' and express the 'difference' brought about by our perspective -- which is always colored by the natural (and later the cultural) world in which we exist.

The Triune Brain was an old model and the meme is widespread and used in education and training models for various purposes - the idea is of a reptilian, mammalian and human layer to the brain.

Triune brain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Panksepp is cited as embracing the model -

I think another way to have a go at this is to look at the idea of consciousness as fundamental and assuming that, the role consciousness itself played in evolution ... Nagel's and other naturalistic teleology. The triune brain would run:

matter -----> brain ----> mind (epiphenomenal)
----------------------
evolutionary time

naturalistic teleology

Kevin Kelly: "Evolution ... has an inherent direction, shaped by the nature of matter and energy." that inherent direction is teleology, meaning the universe is lawfully driven toward life and mind.

Here, "mind" precedes matter as an organizing principle or is inherent in the organization of matter, so that mind isn't an evolutionary fluke, which is what I take it you are saying, @Constance? So matter, brain, mind are inseparable, consciousness feeding back into the evolution of matter, not as a discrete product or byproduct of matter?

(mind/protophenomena/basic laws) ---->(<>matter<>brain<>mind<>) <--- take this last and loop the ends together! ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
majority view: increase in complexity is passive, the result of a random walk

The usual bio-logic is that some random walks end in more complexity and capability ... and they can point to parasites that steal resources from their house and become less complex or species that stay the same (sharks)

minority report: fundamental physical laws favor increases in complexity - thus, there are reasons to think that seen as a whole, life does go from simple to complex, from instinctual to intellectual.

"We start with observations, and if the evolving cosmos has an observed direction, rejecting that view is clearly non-empirical. There need not necessarily be a knowable end point, but there may be an arrow." - Biophysicist Harold J. Morowitz

Anti-Correlationist thought - the gist is that there is a world out there and that it can be accessed as it is, right? The human being is not privileged then ... we're objects like other objects. This and your writing above helps further define phenomenology for me ... in a way we are un-bracketing?

I'm not clear yet about these French thinkers' characterization of ourselves and other protoconscious/conscious beings as 'objects'. I'll have to find the Harmon books I ordered a year or so ago and look for answers there. In the meantime, yes they do recognize that there is an actual world "out there" and that different beings access it in varying ways. Their general purpose seems to be to persuade us that our species' access to the world is not privileged in the way we think it is. And yes, I think you're right that what their thinking requires is a radical un-bracketing of our thinking about the world and our existence in it, the achievement of thinking without presuppositions, that would come closer to the kind of being-in-the-world claimed for the pre-Socratics. My sense of this style of being is that it involves a kind of existence in which "being and knowing are [taken to be] one," a letting-be of being and Being in an experiential consciousness more open to and informed by prereflective experience than by reflective consciousness/mind. Does that accord with some of what you are currently reading in Heidegger?

Stuart Kauffman, origin of life research, Santa Fe Institute
order for free
autocatalytic networks

Simon Conway Morris, Paleontology, University of Cambridge
eyes, neurons, brains and hands are attractors in an abstract biological space

Daniel McShea and Robert Brandon, Duke University
zero-force evolutionary law - diversity and complexity will increase even without environmental change

Addy Pross, chemist, Ben-Gurion University
dynamic kinetic stability self-replicating systems become more stable through becoming more complex - and so are driven to do so (is this a bit like HST?)

measurementof increasing complexity
Eric Chaisson, astrophysicist, Harvard
energy-rate density = how much energy flows through one gram of a system per second. He argues that when he plots energy-rate density against the emergence of new species, the clear result is an overall increase in complexity over time.

I'm not clear yet about these French thinkers' characterization of ourselves and other protoconscious/conscious beings as 'objects'. I'll have to find the Harmon books I ordered a year or so ago and look for answers there. In the meantime, yes they do recognize that there is an actual world "out there" and that different beings access it in varying ways. Their general purpose seems to be to persuade us that our species' access to the world is not privileged in the way we think it is. And yes, I think you're right that what their thinking requires is a radical un-bracketing of our thinking about the world and our existence in it, the achievement of thinking without presuppositions, that would come closer to the kind of being-in-the-world claimed for the pre-Socratics. My sense of this style of being is that it involves a kind of existence in which "being and knowing are [taken to be] one," a letting-be of being and Being in an experiential consciousness more open to and informed by prereflective experience than by reflective consciousness/mind. Does that accord with some of what you are currently reading in Heidegger?

Yes and with Dreyfus and Kelly's book All Things Shining ... they translate the Greek word physis or associate it with a sensation of whooshing up

from a review of the book:

There is a difficulty, of course, with such archaic attitudes, however admirable they may seem, and the authors recognize this. The polytheistic approach is rich in the experience of what they call "whooshing up." You won't find this term is dictionaries of philosophy (though the authors equate it, somewhat improbably, with "physis," the Greek term for "nature"). Whooshing up is the sensation we enjoy at a sporting event when the crowd rises to its feet as one to register a communal sense of awe and admiration before some astonishing athletic feat.

Dreyfus lectures on polytheism in terms of Melville (Moby Dick is a secular bible for the polytheist and anticipates Heidegger in terms of "moods" stimmung)

So the argument is that for the pre-Socratics everything is full of gods - inner and outer life and man's passions are driven by these forces - so Helen of Troy was praised for running away with Paris because the gods animated her actions - the modern view is the stuff of soap operas and psychological (biochemical) explanation ... Dreyfus and Kelly I think are desperate to return some sense of meaning in such a world (subtitle: Reading the Western Classics to Find Meaning in a Secular Age ) and this sheds further light on Heidegger's comment "only a god can save us".

Another way to put this is the Great Chain of Being ... in this model, man is in the middle and this is a precarious position of great responsibility (belying the idea that religion is a comfort) - subject to the whim of the gods and ruled by physical law and yet held to high standard because of his reason, man on this account is a little less than the angels and in the Christian account, has a privileged relationship with his Creator.

Now ... the modern account, the scientistic account inverts this - the greater comes from the lesser (atomism and epiphenomenalism) and the arrows runs the other way reductively:

Big Bang <----- matter ----- life ----- mind (man)

But in naturalistic teleology, it runs the other way again, it can be compared with Great Chain of Being:

GCB God ----> angels ----> man -----> beast
NT (fundamental laws of mind and matter) -----> matter/mind/life ----> man, etc.

and Speculative Realism at least levels the playing field by saying there is a world out there and we are objects in that world, like all other objects ... now this is like HP Lovecrafts Cosmicism which we have talked about and here we have:

incomprehensible forces of nature -----> matter --(man)---> The Old Ones (Cthulu)

What I respect about Lovecraft is that he took his ideas to their logical limit and didn't flinch from the implication that man was to The Old Ones as an insect is to us - a nuisance that might be destroyed when scratching the leg - that's philosophical horror and that's what the speculative realists are saying about our universe - that it's not made for us ... compare that to scientism where man is the pinnacle and the Great Chain of Being where God is the pinnacle - and there are very good historical reasons why these two models are inverses of one another.

I think Speculative Realism is out to correct both.

@Pharoah, have you discussed this paper by Panksepp in the google forum?

The flow of anoetic to noetic and autonoetic consciousness: A vision of unknowing (anoetic) and knowing (noetic) consciousness in the remembrance of things past and imagined futures

I've tried to follow the link to the forum that you sent me but am having some trouble due to my having forgotten I already had a google address connected to my usual email address and I have to use that google address/email from which to follow your link. I don't remember how I signed in at google but will find out somehow.

Haven't discussed at any paper in detail.

I have read quite a few of Panksepp's papers now and am reading two books.

Sorry to hear you finding problems with the MM G. Let me know if you want an invite to another email address or have problems.

I don't think the mind itself is 'stratified', unless you're referring to traditional concepts of the hierarchical relationship between consciousness and the 'subconscious' (including the personal biographical subconscious, the deeply, bodily, unconscious, and the collective 'unconscious' which would better be referred to, I think, as the collective subconscious). The "subconscious mind" is now becoming a viable concept in several lines of brain/mind research as a result of recognitions of the degree to which we often operate on the basis of the 'automatic pilot' it provides.

Moreover, when we come to recognize the sources of 'meaning' expressed by our species (beginning in artistic expression and expanding in other forms and directions of expressiveness) we are confronted with works of the 'mind' that involve both prereflective consciousness and reflective consciousness. It seems to be the case, as parapsychologists and psychical researchers have long recognized, that the mind works with and through subconscious ideation and subconsciously received information as well as active waking consciousness. In other words, there are subconscious inflows into the conscious mind through permeable 'boundaries'. Rather than adopting the iceberg metaphor to denote the conscious mind's distinction (separation) at the water line from the 90 percent of human protomentality situated beneath and beyond conscious thought/mentation, it might be more valid to think of the conscious mind and the subconscious mind as interrelated in a more fluid environment {say, for example, an underground spring issuing into a body of water, in which what is sensed and inchoately 'known' in the underground water remains intermingled with what becomes visible and otherwise sensible and thinkable in the pool of water that forms at the surface (which is continually charged by what continues to flow upward from the spring's source deep in the earth in cases where the spring issues not just in a local body of water but one which flows into a river eventually issuing in a sea).

It's just a metaphor but it might be an accurate one to represent the holism of consciousness realized at and through various levels of existence in its issuing and evolution from its ultimate grounding conditions in physical nature. To carry the metaphor a little further, the water issuing from deep underground springs -- such as the one located 20 miles from where I live, claimed to be the deepest underground spring on the planet, is extraordinarily clear by the time it pools at the surface and begins its subsequent issuance in a river that empties into the Gulf of Mexico -- incredibly clear except after considerable storms in the area during which tannin from tree roots on and beneath the banks of the pool leaks into the water and stains it the color of strong tea. I think we are intrinsically 'one' with the natural world in which, from which, we have evolved, despite the development of consciousness and mind by which we are able to stand a degree or two apart from 'what-is' and express the 'difference' brought about by our perspective -- which is always colored by the natural (and later the cultural) world in which we exist.

Is the mind stratified? I've been thinking about this in terms of the popular "Triune brain theory" this article says the emotional system is much more complex and deeply integrated into the other systems of the brain than the TBT suggests, and the "limbic system doesn't exist" per se as there is no one emotional system in the brain.

Does the Limbic System Exist? — Brain Science Podcast

Natural Kinds Theory of Emotions
(Note Tononi is referenced here - neural Darwinism)

"... a neuroscience approach to emotion need not make the modular assumption that distinct brain regions or circuits are dedicated to instantiating instances of psychological categories such as anger, sadness, and fear.

Rather, it might be more productive to work with the assumption that emotional phenomena are instantiated in widely distributed, interacting networks. So instead of asking “Where is the brain locus of anger?”, we might ask “What are the networks that participate in the brain states that we experience as anger, or in seeing someone as angry?”. In this regard, the concept of a “neural reference space” (Edelman & Tononi, 2000) is useful.

A neural reference space is the neuronal workspace that implements the brain states that correspond to a class of mental contents (e.g., anger). Different brain states are implemented by flexible neuronal assemblies, so that a given neuron need not participate in every brain state within a class (e.g., in every instance of anger) or in the exact same mental state (e.g., the exact same instance of anger) at two points in time. According to Edelman’s neural Darwinism view (1987; Edelman & Tononi, 2000), groups of neurons compete to instantiate a mental content at a given point in time, and only one is selected to do so. According to Spivey (2007), the human brain is never in a discrete mental state but rather can be described by a fuzzy logic that allows many different states at once (each with some probability). It may be that there are different networks within the neural reference space for emotion that are differentially recruited for constituting different mental contents (e.g., anger vs. sadness vs. fear), or it may be that the space is entirely flexible. Either way, the question becomes one of functional selectivity for affect and emotion rather than functional specialization per se. "

And this paper argues for consideration of other models than "natural kinds" (Panksepp):

"Panksepp has claimed that there is strong evidence for the existence of seven architecturally and/or chemically distinct circuits in the subcortex of the mammalian brain, each of which produces a constellation of behaviors (e.g., grooming, retrieving pups, and nursing) associated with a distinct experiential state (e.g., love) and constitutes the circuitry for a discrete or basic emotion (e.g., CARE). Izard also claims seven, but his list is a bit different (for a discussion, see Ortony & Turner, 1990). Our review of the literature leads us to challenge this claim; for the sake of brevity, we will focus on Panksepp’s model (although our points apply to Izard’s model as well)."

"For almost 5 decades, the scientific study of emotion has been guided by the assumption that categories such as anger, sadness, and fear cut nature at its joints.

Barrett (2006a) provided a comprehensive review of the empirical evidence from the study of emotion in humans and concluded that this assumption has outlived its usefulness."

Of Mice and Men: Natural Kinds of Emotions in the Mammalian Brain? A Response to Panksepp and Izard

CONCLUSION
Barrett (2006a) points out that the field of emotion research finds itself in what Greenwald (Greenwald & Ronis, 1981) calls a “disconfirmation dilemma.” For every study that reports evidence that is consistent with the natural-kind view, there is more than one study that does not.

Even taking into consideration measurement error, the natural-kind model does not account for the majority of the data. It is possible to come up with reasons for why scientists don’t see the expected results in any single measure of emotion, the pattern of findings across studies is clear. Like Izard, some might argue that the natural-kind model doesn’t account for all the evidence but that it still accounts for some. And this is true. And like Panksepp, some might argue that all we need are better designs, better methods, and better measures. And again, this might be true. It all comes down to how disconfirming evidence is considered.

Classical Newtonian physics also fits our experience of the physical world. If you push something, it speeds up. If you drop something, it falls down. Newtonian equations work to describe the physical world in the majority of cases. It was the small number of cases in which these equations did not work that ignited a paradigm shift that forced scientists to rewrite the laws of physics, first with the special and general theories of relativity (to describe the movement of large bodies like stars) and then with quantum mechanics (to describe the movement of small bodies like electrons). So, the question for emotion researchers is this: How do we want to treat the disconfirming evidence in our field, which, unlike physics, is found in considerably more than a few isolated cases? Maybe it is time to take other hypotheses seriously. Barrett (2006a) was advocating that the science of emotion do just that."

So in 2006 there appears to be Natural Kinds (Panksepp) and The Conceptual Act Model (Barrett) ... as competing theories of emotion.

(At that time CAM was in need of empirical testing ... I'm not sure the status of CAM now or Panksepp's response ... I'm looking now or @Pharoah do you know?)

Natural Kinds argues there are seven basic circuits in the brain and CAM argues for a conceptual construction of emotion from affect, emotions as contents not systems.

"... the events called anger, sadness, or fear are emergent psychological events constructed from two more basic psychological processes: a psychologically primitive and biologically basic mammalian system that produces some variation on positive or negative states (called core affect) and a human conceptual system for emotion (i.e., what people know about emotion)."

Conceptual act model of emotion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Conceptual Act Model

"The conceptual act model was fashioned as a solution to the emotion paradox (Barrett, 2006b): Studies that measure emotion by relying on human perception (subjective reports of feelings or judgments of other people’s faces and bodies) typically produce consistent evidence for the categories that in English we call anger, sadness, and fear; but instrument-based measures of the brain, face, and body (what scientists might call objective measures) do not.

Our solution is that emotion categories live at the level of human perception. Emotions are contents, not systems, in the brain.

The conceptual act model hypothesizes that the events called anger, sadness, or fear are emergent psychological events constructed from two more basic psychological processes: a psychologically primitive and biologically basic mammalian system that produces some variation on positive or negative states (called core affect) and a human conceptual system for emotion (i.e., what people know about emotion). Contrary to Izard’s claim, the conceptual act model does not hypothesize that affective and conceptual processing proceeds in a linear sequence. In fact, using constraint-satisfaction logic, we have argued just the opposite (Barrett, Ochsner, & Gross, 2007).

According to Panksepp (2007), the conceptual act model is an “attributional–dimensional constructivist view of human emotions” that is “largely theoretical conjecture rather than a conclusion derived from robust neuroscientific data” (p. 281). Panksepp is correct that our model constitutes a set of hypotheses, rather than a theory populated by firm conclusions derived from experimental evidence. We believe this new model accounts for the existing empirical evidence better than does the natural-kind view, but of course, it awaits direct empirical test (as we have stated on many occasions)."

"This may seem like nothing more than a semantic distinction. But it’s not. It’s a paradigm shift that has put Barrett on the front lines of one of the fiercest debates in the study of emotion today, because if Barrett is correct, we’ll need to rethink how we interpret mental illness, how we understand the mind and self, and even what psychology as a whole should become in the 21st century."

More recent articles on The Hundred Year War

http://www.unc.edu/~kal29/docs/Lindquistetal_PB2013.pdf

Lisa Barrett: Facing Down Ekman's Universal Emotions - Neuroanthropology

"Barrett is a professor of psychology at Northeastern, and for years she’s been troubled by Ekman’s ideas.

*People don’t display and recognize emotions in universal ways, she believes, and emotions themselves don’t have their own places in the brain or their own patterns in the body. Instead, her research has led her to conclude that each of us constructs them in our own individual ways, from a diversity of sources: our internal sensations, our reactions to the environments we live in, our ever-evolving bodies of experience and learning, our cultures."

Again, the dichotomy of how we want to see ourselves, right?

On the one hand, a universal set of seven basic circuits appeals to a computer or machine like model and offers great promise for technology - on the other hand the sense that it can't be that simple asserts itself and this appeals to a sense of individuality and agency - I construct my emotions in unique ways and you won't ever finally be able to predict that.

So two approaches to the world, to the data, two sets of hopes and concerns.

It's kind of funny to think of emotion researchers in a "fierce debate" ... I can see them RAGING on a laboratory table top, engaged in mortal combat:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414488067.437134.jpg

They really should leave that sort of thing to the mesomorphs ... reptile brain, indeed!

What an excellent resource, Steve. Kudos for finding it. This paragraph is particularly helpful as a succinct overview of the core ideas expessed by this new French movement:

"E. Terms
Speculative Realism is generally considered “a useful umbrella term, chosen precisely because it was vague enough to encompass a variety of fundamentally heterogeneous philosophical research programmes.” (Brassier, 2009) These philosophies, while at once radically different from one another, could be said to find some coherence in their opposition to correlationist philosophies; to quote Ray Brassier again, “the only thing that unites us is antipathy to what Quentin Meillassoux calls ‘correlationism’—the doctrine, especially prevalent among ‘Continental’ philosophers, that humans and world cannot be conceived in isolation from one other—a ‘correlationist’ is any philosopher who insists that the human-world correlate is philosophy’s sole legitimate concern” (2009). An analogy could be drawn to the term “postmodernism,” which is used to label a very diverse set of theories which nonetheless could be said to be united in their opposition to the modernist project of enlightenment."

I think that Quentin Meillassoux is the one I need to read next since he appears to be the philosopher in this group who first reacts against phenomenological philosophy. I'm ready to give up the idea that "the human-world correlate is philosophy’s sole legitimate concern" {and I'm not sure I ever subconsciously subscribed to that idea}, but I want to find out the particulars of his critique of Merleau-Ponty re this basic premise. In my reading of MP, I think this claim must be difficult to support given MP's posthumously published work, especially that published under the title Nature and the insight into the chiasmic relation of subjectivity and objectivity in the previous book The Visible and the Invisible and the key paper "Eye and Mind."

"I agree with Deleuze's remark that ultimately the most basic task of philosophy is to impede stupidity,"

Just came across this quote by Ray "brassy" Brassier:

"The "speculative realist movement" exists only in the imaginations of a group of bloggers promoting an agenda for which I have no sympathy whatsoever:

actor-network theory spiced with pan-psychist metaphysics and morsels of process philosophy.

** I don't believe the internet is an appropriate medium for serious philosophical debate;

nor do I believe it is acceptable to try to concoct a philosophical movement online by using blogs to exploit the misguided enthusiasm of impressionable graduate students.

I agree with Deleuze's remark that ultimately the most basic task of philosophy is to impede stupidity, so I see little philosophical merit in a "movement" whose most signal achievement thus far is to have generated an online orgy of stupidity."

Ouch! It reminds me of the Surrealists and Dadaists and well, intellectual anarchists generally.

More from Brassier

"I am a nihilist because I still believe in truth."

Heroic nihilism ...

notice how he distinguishes his view from the Existentialists:

"All this may sound platitudinous: surely existentialists had already realized this? But the difference is that existentialists thought it was still possible for human consciousness to provide the meaning that was absent from nature: existence may be meaningless, but man’s task is to provide it with a meaning.

My contention is that this solution is no longer credible, because a project is now underway to understand and explain human consciousness in terms that are compatible with the natural sciences, such that the meanings generated by consciousness can themselves be understood and explained as the products of purposeless but perfectly intelligible processes, which are at once neurobiological and sociohistorical.

My claim is not that science has succeeded in explaining consciousness, but only that considerable progress has been made, and that the burden of proof lies with those who insist on denying such progress and who presume to dismiss the attempt as impossible in principle. There have been plenty of such attempts, and doubtless there will be more, but I find none of them remotely persuasive, and neither should those scientists actually engaged in trying to understand and explain the human mind."

Now would be a good time to ask yourself WWND?

Re: the debate between finite static affects and conceptual affects

I'm not up to speed on the debate, but Panksepp--in what I have read--has argued for both. That is, there are 7 basic affectual states that directly correlate to (overlapping) brain systems. However, an even richer, varied landscape emerges at the tertiary level of the BrainMind.

Also, from what I can gather, Panksepp does not consider phenomenal affect and experience (mind) to be epiphenomenal.

Regarding the stratified brain: What I've read from Panksepp only references the mammalian BrainMind. Thus, his three layers are int he context of mammalian brains, not necessarily the BrainMinds of non-mammals. (But if all Life did descend from a common ancestor, than we would expect some homologous brain (and possibly even mind) layers across all of Life, no? Of course, it's possible that not all life currently on Earth has descended from a single common ancestor; Life may have been created pretty much as is (although there's much evidence counter to this view), or terrestrial life may have multiple, unrelated ancestors.

Re: the fundamental nature of consciousness

There are at least two ways to conceive of this, right? (1) The Intrinsic Constitutive way: There are fundamental proto-conscious, mental units that combine to realize full-consciousness, or (2) The "Soul" way: There exist fully-formed, disembodied minds apparently possessing phenomenal experiences, affects, cognitions, meta-cognitions, and memories that somehow get paired up with organisms.

Are there other ways of conceiving the "consciousness is fundamental" concept?

Re: the minority versus the majority views of reality

@smcder if you ever write a paper or a book on this subject, I'd love to read it. Please do.

For me, this is where the Unus Mundus and the idea of Archetypes enters the picture. Why and how do physical and informational structures exist? We can look at what physical and informational structures do exist for clues, no? And looking at the most basic of these structures that exist can be informative too. I believe Pharoah's HCT addresses this in depth. I'm not there yet.

I want to focus on "information" being fundamental, others want to focus on "mind" being fundamental. I happen to think they're the same thing, haha. Matter needs information needs matter to arise from the Unus Mundus, Unbound Telesis, the holistic, non-Boolean state of what-is.

Last edited:
Izard is another name in emotion research, along with Ekman, Panksepp and Barrett.

I don't have access to the following article, but doesn't this sound familiar:

Basic Emotions, Natural Kinds, Emotion Schemas, and a New Paradigm
Carroll E. Izard (View AbstractClose Abstract)

"Research on emotion flourishes in many disciplines and specialties, yet experts cannot agree on its definition. Theorists and researchers use the term emotion in ways that imply different processes and meanings."

?

"That, Barrett told me, is what the mind does with emotions. Just as that first picture of the bee actually wasn’t a picture of a bee for me until I taught myself that it was, my emotions aren’t actually emotions until I’ve taught myself to think of them that way. Without that, I have only a meaningless mishmash of information about what I’m feeling. In other words, as Barrett put it to me, emotion isn’t a simple reflex or a bodily state that’s hard-wired into our DNA, and it’s certainly not universally expressed. It’s a contingent act of perception that makes sense of the information coming in from the world around you, how your body is feeling in the moment, and everything you’ve ever been taught to understand as emotion. Culture to culture, person to person even, it’s never quite the same. What’s felt as sadness in one person might as easily be felt as weariness in another, or frustration in someone else."

That's in keeping with memory and vision too and I think helps answer your question @Constance about the gap between sensory input and conscious processing capacity (from another thread):

"The brain, it turns out, doesn’t consciously process every single piece of information that comes its way. Think of how impossibly distracting the regular act of blinking would be if it did. Instead, it pays attention to what you need to pay attention to, then raids your memory stores to fill in the blanks."

I think this is a big difference in Barrett and Panksepp:

"Barrett (2006a) pointed out that whether defined by analogy or homology, empirical evidence from human experience, behavior, facial movements, psychophysiology, and cognitive neuroscience is steadily accumulating to disconfirm the natural-kind model of emotion. Not all instances of an emotion (e.g., what people call fear) look alike, feel alike, or have the same neurophysiological signature (i.e., they are not analogous). As a result, the natural-kind model cannot explain the considerable variability of emotional life that has been observed within individuals over time, across individuals from the same culture, and of course, across cultures. Even rats display behavioral flexibility that is context dependent. In the natural-kind model, such heterogeneity in emotional life is either treated as error or is explained by processes added to the model post hoc (e.g., display rules). To understand what emotions are and how they work, however, scientists must understand and model this variability, not explain it away. Furthermore, homologous emotion circuits of the sort presumed by the natural-kind model are unlikely to exist given what is known about the evolution of the human brain.

When compared with other mammals, the human brain has seen a rapid expansion in the isocortical aspects of affective circuitry along with increasingly dense reciprocal projections to subcortical areas (some of which have evolved in concert with the cortical changes).1

Together with the pronounced interspecies differences that exist in cognition and behavior, these changes suggest that the human brain may function very differently when compared with nonprimate, mammalian species such as rats, calling into question the existence of strong emotion homologies.

As a result, animal models yield necessary and important insights that must be incorporated into any model of emotion, but they have not (and probably cannot) give a sufficient account of the events people call fear, anger, or sadness."

"I agree with Deleuze's remark that ultimately the most basic task of philosophy is to impede stupidity,"

Just came across this quote by Ray "brassy" Brassier:

"The "speculative realist movement" exists only in the imaginations of a group of bloggers promoting an agenda for which I have no sympathy whatsoever:

actor-network theory spiced with pan-psychist metaphysics and morsels of process philosophy.

** I don't believe the internet is an appropriate medium for serious philosophical debate;

nor do I believe it is acceptable to try to concoct a philosophical movement online by using blogs to exploit the misguided enthusiasm of impressionable graduate students.

I agree with Deleuze's remark that ultimately the most basic task of philosophy is to impede stupidity, so I see little philosophical merit in a "movement" whose most signal achievement thus far is to have generated an online orgy of stupidity."

Ouch! It reminds me of the Surrealists and Dadaists and well, intellectual anarchists generally.
lol!!

. . . that's philosophical horror and that's what the speculative realists are saying about our universe - that it's not made for us ... compare that to scientism where man is the pinnacle and the Great Chain of Being where God is the pinnacle - and there are very good historical reasons why these two models are inverses of one another.

I think Speculative Realism is out to correct both.

I think so too, and that is what's valuable in it imo.

"That, Barrett told me, is what the mind does with emotions. Just as that first picture of the bee actually wasn’t a picture of a bee for me until I taught myself that it was, my emotions aren’t actually emotions until I’ve taught myself to think of them that way. Without that, I have only a meaningless mishmash of information about what I’m feeling. In other words, as Barrett put it to me, emotion isn’t a simple reflex or a bodily state that’s hard-wired into our DNA, and it’s certainly not universally expressed. It’s a contingent act of perception that makes sense of the information coming in from the world around you, how your body is feeling in the moment, and everything you’ve ever been taught to understand as emotion. Culture to culture, person to person even, it’s never quite the same. What’s felt as sadness in one person might as easily be felt as weariness in another, or frustration in someone else."

. . . as Barrett put it to me, emotion isn’t a simple reflex or a bodily state that’s hard-wired into our DNA, and it’s certainly not universally expressed. It’s a contingent act of perception that makes sense of the information coming in from the world around you, how your body is feeling in the moment, and everything you’ve ever been taught to understand as emotion. Culture to culture, person to person even, it’s never quite the same. What’s felt as sadness in one person might as easily be felt as weariness in another, or frustration in someone else."

That's in keeping with memory and vision too and I think helps answer your question @@Constance about the gap between sensory input and conscious processing capacity (from another thread):

"The brain, it turns out, doesn’t consciously process every single piece of information that comes its way. Think of how impossibly distracting the regular act of blinking would be if it did. Instead, it pays attention to what you need to pay attention to, then raids your memory stores to fill in the blanks."

Are the above quotations^ from the 'Mice and Men' paper?

We are indebted to you, Steve, for bringing forward the issues in the competing hypotheses regarding emotion. I'll try to get access to this paper and report on key elements in it:

Basic Emotions, Natural Kinds, Emotion Schemas, and a New Paradigm
Carroll E. Izard (View AbstractClose Abstract)

"Research on emotion flourishes in many disciplines and specialties, yet experts cannot agree on its definition. Theorists and researchers use the term emotion in ways that imply different processes and meanings."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back