• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

August 30th Episode with Karl Mamer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was an excellent episode.

In the past, the show has brought the doe eyed believer, the supercredulous, the hoaxer, and the money grubbers on to "expose" them to the community. I think it was just as important to show a dyed in the wool DISBELIEVER.

My guess is that Mr. Marmer does not believe anything written in a history book. Surely we do not KNOW scientifically, or can prove through some feat of abstract logic that the Norman Conquest was finalized and occured at the Battle of Hastings in 1066. No, of course not, we rely on the authority of those WHO WERE THERE, and wrote down what THEY SAW.

If this phenomenon could be put in a lab and subjected to scientific method, we wouldn't be having this problem now would we Mr. Marmer. This is a fleeting, ephemeral phenomenon that waits for no man. It is not some microbe to be put in a petri dish, tested, classified, and studied by Bill Nye.

Good show, I think you showed a denyer, and a disbeliever to be just as silly as someone who believes everything.

Interesting point. ;)

...My guess is that Mr. Marmer does not believe anything written in a history book...
If this phenomenon could be put in a lab and subjected to scientific method, we wouldn't be having this problem now would we Mr. Marmer.

Underdog! It's Mamer! Mamer! One "r!" Not MARMER!

Are you sure it's not Marmer, I mean how can I trust your observations. Perhaps you have a mania that makes you see "r's" where there are none. Who's opinion are we to trust?

Those who see "r's" where there are none, or right thinking individuals like myself who clearly put "r's" where they are needed. ;^)

Sorry, I noticed that after I posted. My apologies.

Well i thought this was a fairly good episode... although the idea behind it was great, and it could have been greater. I think its a really good idea to get 'skeptics' on, although I think it would be great to give them 3 great cases and then listen to their take on it.
I know this risks things getting a bit 'Larry King' but I think if it is done in a respectful and responsible manner like it was in this episode then it can be useful.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I saw that a lot of folks were pretty hard on Mr. Mamer, but I have to say after choking on decades of ridicule, belittlement, and mockery from the likes of Klass, Nickel, McGaha, and Oberg, Mamer seemed almost respectful. While I believe his logic and perceptions about this issue are flawed, I was glad to see a civil debate was had by all. People might develop more appreciation for this type of fella if they had better understanding of just how caustic and irascible some of these jokers can get.

BTW thank you Gene & Dave for getting Dilettoso's comments on this S-4 thing. I asked about his position on this issue in some thread several weeks ago shortly after Salla posted his Henessey/S-4 tale in the Examiner.

Well i thought this was a fairly good episode... although the idea behind it was great, and it could have been greater. I think its a really good idea to get 'skeptics' on, although I think it would be great to give them 3 great cases and then listen to their take on it.
I know this risks things getting a bit 'Larry King' but I think if it is done in a respectful and responsible manner like it was in this episode then it can be useful.

It slightly annoyed me from the begginning that he spoke of himself as a skeptic like it was a hobby or something. It made him basically sound like someone will disagree with anything that isnt straight down the centre 'normal'... thank god all people arent like this or we would never have gotten anywhere, especially in theoretical science.

As for this:

I actually think he came up with a lot of good points here, and a lot of points that the 'ordinary person' in the street would think. I know from speaking to some of my friends that they had similar concerns.

Of course he spoke a whole load of nonsense on top of this, both in the show and in that article.

;) The problem I have with most skeptics is that they think that "believers" have the entire burden of proof in their corner . . . You know the cant - extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence . . . Well, the skeptics aren't immune from making extraordinary claims themselves, such as - anyone who has been a witness to something that can be classified as paranormal is either at best, mistaken (or lacking in the requisite training that The Skeptical Inquirer outlines), or a liar at worst . . . Well, to Mamer & Randi & Shostak, et al., we'll toss the ball back in your court - prove to us that we're all mistaken/lying . . . ;)

;) The problem I have with most skeptics is that they think that "believers" have the entire burden of proof in their corner . . . You know the cant - extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence . . . Well, the skeptics aren't immune from making extraordinary claims themselves, such as - anyone who has been a witness to something that can be classified as paranormal is either at best, mistaken (or lacking in the requisite training that The Skeptical Inquirer outlines), or a liar at worst . . . Well, to Mamer & Randi & Shostak, et al., we'll toss the ball back in your court - prove to us that we're all mistaken/lying . . . ;)

That is NOT how it works. The burden of proof is on the person making the original claim. If you make an extraordinary claim, and I suggest to you a known, more prosaic alternative explanation, it is up to you to show that your explanation is the correct one. That is reality, thats how the world works and how we have all this wonderful stuff that makes our lives better thanks to science.

As an example, what if I tell you there is an invisible shoe stealing leprechaun hiding in my back yard under my shed. I know he is there because my loafer went missing and I found it under my shed. Now, you notice that I have a dog that likes to dig holes under my shed, so you suggest that the dog is a more likely cause of my missing shoe. Well, I say bollocks on that! Prove to me I am mistaken/lying about the shoe stealing leprechaun. :D

That is NOT how it works. The burden of proof is on the person making the original claim. If you make an extraordinary claim, and I suggest to you a known, more prosaic alternative explanation, it is up to you to show that your explanation is the correct one. That is reality, thats how the world works and how we have all this wonderful stuff that makes our lives better thanks to science.

As an example, what if I tell you there is an invisible shoe stealing leprechaun hiding in my back yard under my shed. I know he is there because my loafer went missing and I found it under my shed. Now, you notice that I have a dog, that likes to dig holes under my shed, so you suggest that the dog is a more likely cause of my missing shoe. Well, I say bollocks on that! Prove to me I am mistaken/lying about the shoe stealing leprechaun. :D

::) But, in your hypothetical case, I have made a counterclaim, which must also share a burden of proof . . . As soon as someone proposes an alternate explanation, they have an obligation to demonstrate why that explanation is better, more valid, or simply the correct one . . . ;)

'Pilots are human, so they dont see anything different through their eyes than we do, that is just common sense.
The difference, is we dont see what they do everyday. 'We look up at the sky' "but the only time we get up in the sky is by buying a ticket and getting on a Airplane.
Being a pilot are they better observers than the average human, not really like i siad "they are human. But, the difference is their job description.

Pilots, are able to tell the difference from 'CLOUDS' 'BIRDS' or even a 'Plane' the average human could. 'So what are pilots seeing when they claim to see something like a solid craft and least for pilots looking at it from their advantage point it looks solid.

It is a unknown object. In most cases, it probably something they dont see everyday. It just Something they just can't "identify" based on human aviation.

Ufos means undentified flying object, it doesnt mean space aliens.
We have theories " human aviation, does' not explain "what we are seeing" so naturally we are prone to examineing other alternatives to the origin.

The ufo craft are intrigueing. But, the real interest for me 'is the occupants themselves.

Craft in ufo lore have to have builders.They came from somewhere, that is the ultimate question?

Karl, Lying, ok people will lie that is honest, humans do lie.

Karl, siad 'those who claimed to have been taken aboard alien ships in the 1950s and 1960s 'and who claimed to have visited the Moon, Venus, and Mars were lying.
Everybody knew, at least people who are sane, that those people/claimants were not all together. Some of the people, 'karl talked about, i have seen in videos.
Were you see people in the desert with aerials and tin foiled hats stuck to their heads. Do you honestly, think the whole community who believes in ufos acts like that? Must of us have see something in our skies that is it.
We dont claim to been outside our planet on alien craft (all we are asking is' what are those seemly solid objects in our skies?

The bigfoot case was an obvious hoax, so it not relevant to the converation.

The Bentwaters case happened. The details are based on the eyewitness accounts from senior military retired personal. Is the whole story true, i cant say for sure because i was not there.
Something happened which was not normal.

Reports were filed with MOD, so something unusual must have occured. After all, you have to remember this was During the Cold War. The base was a focal point for operations. This was not a place for a group of men to make up storys of something unusual.

Accounts, will differ in what they saw, but you have to find out, "has the story changed over time and who, which, eyewitness has a different story to tell. If only one eyewitness has changed his story from the official story. You have to look and see, why the story doesnt match up with the others?

"Human preception" does it make you see things. I dont think so, unless you are drunk or on drugs or suffering from a medical illness.If, you see something in the sky which in all purposes looks solid. You have to trust your eyes because withount our eyes, it would be hard to funcation with everyday activites. karl, has alot of theories to why we shouldnt not trust our preception and why pilots should have detailed knowledge of all of them.

Far, Enough you may be tricked by some of the suggestions. It still doesnt explain when people see a mile long craft, which to them in all purpose looks solid, witnessed by others aboard the plane, that your suggestions with cross reference seem logical.

This are Karls suggestions to what pilots such have knowledge of

1Astronomy 2Atmospheric science 3Aeronautics 4physics 5 Visual illusions 6Human Psychology 7 Visual perception

"Memory" 'flash bulb memory'

It is logical, the more you go back in time, details of something will get hazy. But, i differ, when a memory of something which is so provound happens to you. i doubt you will ever forget it. You might forget details of the day, like example 'if you went to the shop or what time you picked up your kids from school. but if you witnessed something on the very same day that was unusual, like seeing a ufo craft hovering over a house that memory will be forever with you. My advice, is that if you do see something in the future go home and write it all down, you never forget it then.

9/11 i will never forget. It nearly nine years since that event. I can remember were i was and what i was doing. I had work at four, european time. Four hours into the event American time.
It was morning in AMERICA and lunch time here in Ireland.
Yet, i can not remember work for the live of me, only the part of the day i was watching 9/11 events on tv for those three hours or so.

Roswell 1947 and people memorys of day are side issues. We dont know, and can't be sure that everyone is being geniune. It seems, however that the Roswell base was on full alert and there was alot of activity going on which was not normal.The explantations which differ to the original statement of a flying disc are not reasonable explantations to solve the case.It a case that will remain a mystery.

"Hoaxes" happen your right there Karl. Some humans, love the attention they get from doing this. It up to us? to try to look at the cases and see which are geniune and which are fabricated hoaxes Chinese lanterns is a recent Explanation. It does really explain geniune sightings going back generations.

Science can only solve problems when they have the knowledge and tools to do so. Science in two hundred years from now will be totally different. We will have discovered new methods of solveing problems and might be actually looking at new science's that we are not aware of today

.Ufos have a science which in all purposes is not known by humans.I am tired of the same old argument that ufos could never get here because the distances are too far. We as humans, cant do that. But, we are baseing the whole argument around us. How, can we presume this and only base it on notting but our own science?

I dont mind skeptic's if they have a logical case. The difference is with Karl he just can not accept there might be something flying around in our skies which we have no explantation for. Just admit 'i dont know' that would be a reasonable answer Karl.

I have to agree with karl. If we have no official quote from kelly, on the encounter, then everything is all just 'hear say'. We have to be careful. I googled it , but i could not find any source which lead to an official statement from Kelly Johnson.
Hopefully, we can find something from Kelly?

Gordon cooper, I dont know is he lieing or is he being truthful? There could be more to the case, but i watched the man speak. I judge the case and the merits of it on that. Words from other people who disbelieve his case is one thinK. I was not there, i can only judge the reputation and the credibility of the source.

I dont mind skeptic's if they have a logical case. The difference is with Karl he just can not accept there might be something flying around in our skies which we have no explantation for. Just admit 'i dont know' that would be a reasonable answer Karl.

:frown: But oftentimes they won't do that . . . As Stanton Friedman has pointed out in so many forums, they frequently fail to read the reports from MUFON or other sources, or the analyses of investigators like Friedman, but simply offer blanket alternative "explanations," instead of specific objections based on the reports & analyses themselves . . . :frown:

Just wanted to say thanks to Jim Dilletoso for clarifying just what he actually said regarding those Cheney/S4 photos.

I was not aware of them myself, but it's important for those people that use what guys like Jim have to say to support less than scrupulous claims, be shown as the maipulative sob's that they truly are. For the benefit of those of us that know no better.

Thanks Gene, Dave, Jim

Mark

I'm definitely what you'd call a skeptic. I'm probably what you'd call a "science fundamentalist." I certainly don't believe UFOs have anything to do with mid-20th century space age fantasies.

But this guy was painful to listen to. Ufology does not have a monopoly on the self-important or the irrational.

It's not that hard to say "I don't know." That's what a good scientist does. They say "I don't know, but I'll see if I can figure it out."

I now have a most disliked episode, at least the Karl Mamer part. I'm 35 minutes in and I'm glad to know it wont go for the whole two hours. I'm not against doing shows with skeptics but do find one with some intellect.

"I would challenge to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed!"
William Shakespeare

On another note, I'm becoming very concerned about my prostate...

About five minutes before the interview with him ends, he sounds a touch more reasonable. Basically trying to say, I guess, that eyewitness testimony is just unreliable, so that accounts are fine, but you then have to go to other sorts of investigation if you want to get any real results.

Ok, I can respect that if you're serious about it. But as David notes, and is pounded home by his "I wish I posted at Gawker" style in his writings, Mamer isn't serious, he's trying to be "clever" and by doing so, makes science look bad. If you can't handle "woo" without writing in a sophomoric fashion, then don't, because if your purpose is to get people to not believe in woo

funny-pictures-fighting-cats-constructive-feedback.jpg

Empiricism (the belief that knowledge arises from experience) gave rise to the scientific method.
Therefore the negation of experiential evidence does not mean you are "being scientific."

To put it another way:
161914575_77ec36777a.jpg

Karl: Nice try though. Come back sometime when you're more prepared.

That is all.

David and Gene did remarkably well interviewing a guest who was about as interesting as a potato...

David and Gene did remarkably well interviewing a guest who was about as interesting as a potato...

they should get jose collado on. he is a far better skeptic...and at least as interesting as say... a pomegranate. seriously tho, he would be a better skeptic guest imho.

Wow.

I am new here. I just listened to the August 30th podcast... then came here to read the posts.

Honestly, I can't believe the criticism of the episode or of the guest. He was not authoritative. He did not call people liars. He seemed to go out of his way to be polite, and even suggested that the hosts did not need to be nice to him.... What is everyone's problem here?

I would be interested in hearing if anyone here can point out one single comment he made that was false?

I think that is really the problem. Mr. Mamer did not give the hosts any ammunition. He didn't fall for their leading questions. And he didn't let them corner him into saying people are liars. He even corrected them when they claimed that he was calling people liars.

I suppose a calm, rational discussion of the supposed facts is just to much for some to handle.

It seems all that you can really complain about is his on air personality. Yet he made it perfectly clear that he was a technical writer. Not a talk show host. Not a paid speaker.

As I said, I am new here (I am also new to all of this paranormal stuff) but it didn't take long to figure out that UFO evidence has less to do with science and evidence than it does with dogma.

I think that is really the problem. Mr. Mamer did not give the hosts any ammunition. He didn't fall for their leading questions. And he didn't let them corner him into saying people are liars. He even corrected them when they claimed that he was calling people liars.

8) Welcome - I'm new, too . . . ! ::) I will say that Mamer was skirting very close to questioning the truthfulness of Gordon Cooper's story, at the very least he was implying dishonesty on his part . . . Mamer should have been smarter & left that story alone, though, until he had a better chance to review what it was exactly that was being recounted . . . & questioning the capability of a flight pilot & astronaut to make observations is going to get one onto very shaky ground . . . ::)

Wow.

I am new here. I just listened to the August 30th podcast... then came here to read the posts.

Honestly, I can't believe the criticism of the episode or of the guest. He was not authoritative. He did not call people liars. He seemed to go out of his way to be polite, and even suggested that the hosts did not need to be nice to him.... What is everyone's problem here?

I would be interested in hearing if anyone here can point out one single comment he made that was false?

I suppose a calm, rational discussion of the supposed facts is just to much for some to handle.

It seems all that you can really complain about is his on air personality. Yet he made it perfectly clear that he was a technical writer. Not a talk show host. Not a paid speaker.

As I said, I am new here (I am also new to all of this paranormal stuff) but it didn't take long to figure out that UFO evidence has less to do with science and evidence than it does with dogma.

Karl?! Is this you? LOL... Welcome to the forum "mrchef".

8) Welcome - I'm new, too . . . ! ::) I will say that Mamer was skirting very close to questioning the truthfulness of Gordon Cooper's story, at the very least he was implying dishonesty on his part . . . Mamer should have been smarter & left that story alone, though, until he had a better chance to review what it was exactly that was being recounted . . . & questioning the capability of a flight pilot & astronaut to make observations is going to get one onto very shaky ground . . . ::)

You do know Gordon Cooper didn't witness that ufo right? It was all second hand info. I dont know why people consider it a good case for alien ufo's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back