• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Attention PC Users: Time to Get Over It!

Free versions of recent episodes:

The most important thing - Mac, PC, Linux, Amiga... whatever... BACK UP YOUR DAMN STUFF!!! Onsite and offsite. My wife thinks I'm obsessive but I have two extra HDD on my desk, two portable ones that I switch out of my work office every few months, and offsite backups with iCloud and Crashplan.

By the way, say what you will about Apple, but they really nailed photos with Photo.app. I'm not easy to please with photo management, but they did a great job. I don't trust them enough to get rid of my other online storage though. Anytime I her someone I know complaining that they lost all their pictures and researching how to get stuff off a busted hard drive, I shake my head in disbelief that they didn't listen to me about backing things up. My photos are the most important digital files I have - if I lost them, I would be devastated.

Crashplan... totally. Even at an enterprise level, best deal for a great onsite and offsite backup solution out there.

iPhoto... nope. I disagree. People need to suck it up and learn basic file management. Windows preview in Explorer is good enough and takes WAY less.

iPhoto was terrible!!!! It used to be great, but it's been a sad state of affairs for a good 3 or 4 years.

I'm talking Photos - it's pretty amazing. I still use my own file management for the copies of my photos on external drives, but to have my library across my iPhone, iPad, and Macs is fantastic. Apple actually did a great job on something that they have been getting wrong for years.

However, I'm a firm believer in "whatever works for you" as long as you back your stuff up. I hate it when I see a Facebook post from friends asking what the best data recovery app is for a dead hard drive.

Worst things about gaming on a PC - no Mario.

super-mario-bros-1-02.png

Super Mario Bros. Game Download for PC | GameFabrique

&
71jW9hmmHpL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YVD3KM/?tag=rockoids-20

I am a PC user who handles IT for our all Mac agency when I am not programming. You can muck up a Mac just as easily as a PC. Shooting your Dell over what is likely either faulty hardware (which Macs are notorious for lately with faulty CPUs, batteries etc) or a PEBCAC issue is just ridiculous and clearly the sign of an overly stressed out guy who is likely making a tonne of errors in his frazzled state.

Also, Apple is now soldering RAM to the motherboard now? Yeah, the only upgrade path is to buy ANOTHER completely over-priced machine... Yeah, that's smart. Also, Mac OSX is no longer intuitive, it is just intrusive.

Honestly, Apple used to be the underdog rebel who forged new grounds and empower users with options and control over their own experience and as ridiculous as it sounds, today that that better describes Microsoft these days.

People in the industry these days are surprisingly computer illiterate when it comes to basic fundamentals like best practices, naming conventions, file management and basic computer maintenance and upkeep. Of course, they are also the loudest to call fall when the computer they haven't restarted in three days suddenly freezes up on them.

TLDR: I can buy two more powerful PCs for the price of your Mac. And we can both screw up our computers if we don't treat them properly.

Edit: Complete disclosure, I use a Mac at work and a PC at night so I am well versed with day to day use of each.
Most price comparisons of PCs that are not home built show the prices aren't so different when you do a proper comparison of specs and built-in components. Apple also gives a pretty decent software bundle that isn't quite matched on the PC side.

I agree Apple should provide more models that can get RAM upgrades. I expect they are reverting back to the original Mac setup. The 1984 Mac couldn't be upgraded either. But in the real world only a tiny percentage of people ever bother. And the drive towards miniaturization is a factor in excluding upgrade possibilities.

I own both Apple and Windows devices. Each have their uses. What I object to is the Apple mentality. If Apple decided to take dog turds and stamp them with a half eaten apple, I guarantee you there would be a line outside the Apple stores waiting to buy one.

The consumer sheep are to blame for this. I will say Apple sure know how to gain hype and retain that hype for upcoming products. Credit to them.

The consumer sheep are to blame for this. I will say Apple sure know how to gain hype and retain that hype for upcoming products. Credit to them.

It also helps that the stuff they make is quite good and that the customer service is the best in the tech industry.

You know, I have found that smaller companies have really great customer service - CrashPlan is always quick to reply.
I meant more in terms of the big companies. Break a "regular" smartphone and good luck dealing with your carrier. If you have an Apple Store nearby, you're going to get great service.

I had 3 year old in-ear buds that cost $100 - they became ragged due to use. I went to the Apple Store, no receipt, and they just gave me a new pair.

Sorry to go a bit off track here: but have any of you guys tried to "deblur" the Roswell mummy slides placard?
I would try but my PC would probably burst into flames because its so old. here is what @Sentry wrote in the slides thread:

"Have other people here duplicated the SmartDeblur of the Roswell Slides placard?
I'm collecting examples to help a couple of UFO authors better understand the process."

If you need more info or links to the slides, let me know.

Thanks Harry.

Sorry to go a bit off track here: but have any of you guys tried to "deblur" the Roswell mummy slides placard?
I would try but my PC would probably burst into flames because its so old. here is what @Sentry wrote in the slides thread:

"Have other people here duplicated the SmartDeblur of the Roswell Slides placard?
I'm collecting examples to help a couple of UFO authors better understand the process."

If you need more info or links to the slides, let me know.

Thanks Harry.

I am more then happy to give it a go :)

Most price comparisons of PCs that are not home built show the prices aren't so different when you do a proper comparison of specs and built-in components. Apple also gives a pretty decent software bundle that isn't quite matched on the PC side.

I agree Apple should provide more models that can get RAM upgrades. I expect they are reverting back to the original Mac setup. The 1984 Mac couldn't be upgraded either. But in the real world only a tiny percentage of people ever bother. And the drive towards miniaturization is a factor in excluding upgrade possibilities.

I firmly disagree that they are comparable price-wise, at least here in Canada. They are at least a third the cost higher for comparable hardware. Also, you simply have no options past a certain point of performance. I can't put a really high-end display adapter into a Mac if I want to. That alone makes it a non option for me.

You are likely right about the drive to miniaturization being a major factor in why they are going the route that they are. It's a good point. I personally don't feel it is more important than power and performance though.

You know, I have found that smaller companies have really great customer service - CrashPlan is always quick to reply.
I meant more in terms of the big companies. Break a "regular" smartphone and good luck dealing with your carrier. If you have an Apple Store nearby, you're going to get great service.

I had 3 year old in-ear buds that cost $100 - they became ragged due to use. I went to the Apple Store, no receipt, and they just gave me a new pair.

The Microsoft Store is really following the Apple Store support model lately. I was quite surprised. When you factor in the cheaper prices across all devices including mobile, it actually also winds up giving you more options when dealing with replacement situations as well.

Hi Angelo, did they just swap the headphones or did you have to give your name or email address first?
If it was the latter, the person serving you probably looked at your CRM* entry and saw that you had spent money with them (apple) before.
I suspect that if I found an old pair of headphones in the street and then went to the apple shop, they might not be so eager to exchange them, even if I pretended I had bought them. My CRM would betray me.

Retailers are getting better at collecting data on what we buy, which in one way is a good thing, but remember you are dealing with people who's sole aim is to separate us from our hard earned money.

In retail nothing is left to chance, they are masters of behavioural science.

*Customer relationship management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi Angelo, did they just swap the headphones or did you have to give your name or email address first?
If it was the latter, the person serving you probably looked at your CRM* entry and saw that you had spent money with them (apple) before.
I suspect that if I found an old pair of headphones in the street and then went to the apple shop, they might not be so eager to exchange them, even if I pretended I had bought them. My CRM would betray me.

Retailers are getting better at collecting data on what we buy, which in one way is a good thing, but remember you are dealing with people who's sole aim is to separate us from our hard earned money.

In retail nothing is left to chance, they are masters of behavioural science.

*Customer relationship management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After they told me they would give me a new pair, I gave them my Apple ID. I have bought at that Apple store but nothing big.

It helps that I am extraordinarily charming and pleasant.

The Microsoft Store is really following the Apple Store support model lately. I was quite surprised. When you factor in the cheaper prices across all devices including mobile, it actually also winds up giving you more options when dealing with replacement situations as well.

There are no Microsoft stores in Quebec that I know of. Microsoft is doing a great job these days.

I'm surprised that there aren't any Samsung stores yet.

A typical retailer would expect 70% margin.

Think of it like this. Apple manufacture the headphones for a maximum of 30 dollars per piece* they sell it to you for 100 dollars, meaning they get 70 dollars profit. you then go to the store and they replace your headphones and they still retain 40 dollars in profit.
The typical customer would not be as audacious as you, the majority will just buy a new set.

Also do you use your apple id when purchasing Apple products elsewhere? you can request all the information they hold on you, it may make interesting reading.

As somebody who hates waste, I think that CRM is a fantastic idea, but it must be used with caution.

*I expect that due to the size of the Apple orders they probably won't pay more than five dollars per piece, meaning a 95% margin, but this will probably be driven down to around 90% when transport, storage and wages have been deducted, but still a very nice profit before tax.

Apple makes a TON of money on those in-ear buds. I have tried many different brands and they are my favorite, and cheaper than most of that quality. I just hope that they don't replace them with Beats... not sure I like those. I may go even higher end the next time and get Bose, although they're really expensive.

I no longer buy Apple products anywhere but at the Apple Store. The service is just too good, and for big purchases I go through my nephew since he gets a family discount as an employee.

Back