• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Attention PC Users: Time to Get Over It!

^ They don't call it PC Master race for nothing. I have Win, Linux and OS X - I'd still choose Windows over OS X anyday because it suits my needs more.. I don't really hate any one of them, all 3 have pro's and con's, I just prefer Windows. Probably cause I started out with Win system.

^ An HP is in the same boat. If you want a good PC you can build one yourself for fractions of a Mac with premium components. If you don't want to build one; I'd recommend a Digitalstorm PC, Origin PC, Falcon-nw or even a iBuypower PC.

The Best Custom Built Computers for Gaming and Business | Falcon Northwest
ORIGIN PC | Custom Computers | Gaming Desktops and Laptops
Digital Storm: Custom Gaming Computers & Gaming PCs
Custom Gaming Computers and Laptops: iBUYPOWER® Gaming PC
That's the 1990s approach. Built it yourself. Today, a mainstream PC, with the same components, exactly the same as much as possible, as a Mac, are priced similarly. Mac Pros are cheaper than even home-built models.

You can run Windows on a Mac in various ways. Macs also provide a superb OS and software bundle. No junkware.

^ They don't call it PC Master race for nothing. I have Win, Linux and OS X - I'd still choose Windows over OS X anyday because it suits my needs more.. I don't really hate any one of them, all 3 have pro's and con's, I just prefer Windows. Probably cause I started out with Win system.
What are your needs?

What are your needs?

3-D rendering, gaming, designing.

That's the 1990s approach. Built it yourself. Today, a mainstream PC, with the same components, exactly the same as much as possible, as a Mac, are priced similarly. Mac Pros are cheaper than even home-built models.

You can run Windows on a Mac in various ways. Macs also provide a superb OS and software bundle. No junkware.

You can run OS X on a PC as well. You can't even add that as an advantage to a Mac. There is a lot less "junkware" if you want to call it that in Win 8, and you can also get rid of it if need be. If you want to talk about bloatware -- let's talk about Android OS shall we. You don't have to build it yourself, that's completely optional. You can have one of the companies I mentioned up above to build it for you if you have no idea of how to do so, or simply don't care to build one.

Top Mac Pro will cost you over $10,000. (not including 4k monitor) You compare that to a top PC rig $6500 (4k monitor included) + 2x Gtx's 980's in SLI and over 64 gigs of RAM and, and... 1TB SSD + 4TB additional HD space to top that off. You quickly become aware how far you money goes with a PC.

You can also do a lot more with a PC compared to a Mac in terms of pretty much everything IMO.

" The Bottom Line

You can discuss the pros and cons of Macs vs Windows PCs in great detail, but here's what it comes down to according to you. Most of you recommend Macs for the following reasons:

• Macs offer a more straightforward approach to computing with fewer maintenance tasks
  • Macs have fewer viruses and security issues (with the caveats mentioned in the relevant section above, of course)
  • Macs can provide a UNIX-like experience and also have commercial applications
  • Macs software, on average, focuses more on its user interface and making your experience enjoyable than Windows software does
  • Other Apple devices work best with Apple computers
Conversely, you recommended Windows PCs for these reasons:

• Windows PCs provide lots of flexibility and customization (with both hardware and software)
  • Windows PCs offer support for cutting-edge hardware
  • Windows has more software available than any other platform
  • Windows offers great backwards-compatibility
  • Windows provides a great gaming experience thanks to great hardware support and lots of games
  • Windows offers better options for music production
  • Windows is the same platform most of the world uses
On average, you felt both platforms were equal in the following categories:

• Ease of learning
  • Good for designers "
Mac vs. Windows: Your Best Arguments

Aside from certain games the Mac does it better.

Also what processor does your PC use in that quote?

A fully decked out iMac 5K is in the mid 4000's.

Call me paranoid but i like to use an OS where the kernel is open to the scrutiny of thousands of Open source developers eyes, and if im feeling extra paranoid i can download the kernel myself and look over areas of code where i think things could be sneaked in. At the end of the day with osx and windows, we dont know what code is in there, nor do we have the chance to look.

[i say as I type this on an ipad XD]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You mean like the Darwin core of OS X? Or the fact that it's based on BSD Unix?

There are loads of open source components of OS X. Obviously there's a ton of proprietary stuff too, but you can freely download developer tools (it's $99 per year for a full membership) and see what you can produce to build an income stream and serve the needs of paying customers.

I used macs at my old job (at a company that scanned documents for plagiarism) and i admit they are solid machines and yes the BSD Unix variant they use is solid as a rock, but its proprietary so they could be slipping all kinds of behavioural monitoring code in there and we would never know. I mainly use Linux on my home machines and OpenBSD on servers for security reasons. Richard Stallman although a bit radical (and slightly awkward) presents some good information on the dangers of proprietary software.

I like the way osx hasn't become "cloudified" in the way windows has, trying to take the desktop from the machine (i wont even go into how bad chrome OS and the dangers of cloud computing) however i feel in the future that will change. With linux however you are free to choose how you want your distro to run and look like.

Architecturally speaking though, the unix kernel is a lot more robust then the microsoft registry database system.

You are too paranoid about what Apple is doing to allegedly monitor what you're doing. The company has been more upfront about its data collection policies than most.

But you buy a personal computer to run apps, and if the platform doesn't have the best tool for the job, you use something else.

Oh, and you avoided the question about which processor your high-end PC was using?

You are too paranoid about what Apple is doing to allegedly monitor what you're doing. The company has been more upfront about its data collection policies than most.

But you buy a personal computer to run apps, and if the platform doesn't have the best tool for the job, you use something else.

Oh, and you avoided the question about which processor your high-end PC was using?

The point i am trying to make is that a closed system has the potential to be abused at some point down the line somewhere by someone (probably a government) and with the revelations of the NSA I don't think they would necessarily advertise it in a policies document (i also think open source would be a good framework for a lot of different things, including paranormal research)

Also sir, I don't believe you asked me what processor I am using directly but my machine is around 4 years old now with a second gen i5 in it which is a bit long in the tooth by any standards.

You said the Mac Pro is overpriced. It uses an Intel Xeon, a processor far more expensive than an i5 or any of the Core series. That explains the higher price. When comparisons have been done between PC workstations, home-built or commercial, and the Mac Pro, the Mac Pro is almost invariably cheaper.

You said the Mac Pro is overpriced. It uses an Intel Xeon, a processor far more expensive than an i5 or any of the Core series. That explains the higher price. When comparisons have been done between PC workstations, home-built or commercial, and the Mac Pro, the Mac Pro is almost invariably cheaper.

I believe we have a case of mistaken identity.

Aside from certain games the Mac does it better.

Also what processor does your PC use in that quote?

A fully decked out iMac 5K is in the mid 4000's.

x99 Chipset Based Intel i7- 5960x OC @ 4.5GHZ L2 Cache 8 x 256KB L3 Cache 20MB

Let me be clear on this.... PC does EVERY GAME BETTER. You can't even argue about this.

Ok, what are the specs on a 5k iMac? If you did gaming on it I guarantee you the iMac would go on fire playing Minecraft at 4 FPS lol

Last edited:
x99 Chipset Based Intel i7- 5960x OC @ 4.5GHZ L2 Cache 8 x 256KB L3 Cache 20MB

Let me be clear on this.... PC does EVERY GAME BETTER. You can't even argue about this.

Ok, what are the specs on a 5k iMac? If you did gaming on it I guarantee you the iMac would go on fire playing Minecraft at 4 FPS lol

Just checked out an 5k iMac fully equipped GFX card. It's running an AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2GB GDDR5 which is a joke.

It handles over 14 million pixels pretty we'll, but it's not a gaming chip. And chips that aren't optimized for gaming aren't jokes.

It handles over 14 million pixels pretty we'll, but it's not a gaming chip. And chips that aren't optimized for gaming aren't jokes.

Exactly. The Xeon chip is designed for a work station like: CAD design, 4K video, and 3D rendering (great for multi-tasking). The Intel i7- 5960x OC @ 4.5GHZ can do that, and have higher speeds for gaming. They are both good no doubt, but if you are into gaming, PC is the clear winner here.

Also, notice that I put Overclocked (OC) it can be done with the right water cooling system and motherboard such as my PC.

Step 1 | Choose Your Desktop Case Orientation | ORIGIN PC

Unless you haven't noticed, the Mac Pro is a workstation designed for high-end work, such as math, 3D rendering and so forth and so on. It is not a gaming machine, not intended to be a gaming machine.

Back