• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Who likes yo-yos?

Free episodes:

subject x

A Paracast Listener Is Me.
I do, for one!

Throwing yos rates very near the top of the list of things I like to do.
I have 70 or so, ranging from vintage Duncans to the more modern aluminum, ball-bearing type.

I'm not really good at it, compared to other yoyologists, but good enough to astound the average person who stopped playing with yo-yos when the string broke on their Imperial at age eight.

If you're not familiar with modern-day yo-yo abilities, or even if you are, check out this little vid:

No. that's not me. I don't own a video camera, nor am I as accomplished as this fella, but it gives a good idea as to what's possible these days.

So, anyone else around here enjoy this little toy? Probably not, but I had to ask.:D

I don't know how old you are and I'm not that old, but hands down, best yo-yoer I've ever seen : Tommy Smothers.

Of course I'd be hard pressed to name another yo-yoer. What the hell do you call a person who plays with a yo-yo anyway?? I do like them, but always get the cheap piece of crap that kinda turns sideways as you flick it. "Walk the dog" is more like a very bad motorcycle burnout. You gotta spend the money to get the quality yo-yo you know.

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tB33TDGFunQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hXRnGkCSRis&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hXRnGkCSRis&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I haven't used one in a long time but I do like to do the tricks. Can only do a couple like walk the dog and such, hmm maybe I should get one and start practicing more tricks.

I don't know how old you are and I'm not that old, but hands down, best yo-yoer I've ever seen : Tommy Smothers.
I'm 47. Watching Tommy is what got me into yo-yos many years ago. He is far from the best player, but has the absolute best presentation.
What the hell do you call a person who plays with a yo-yo anyway??
I like yoyologist, myself.
You gotta spend the money to get the quality yo-yo you know.
Well, you can get a yo-yo that will do all the tricks for anywhere from $15 to $350. You can definitely get carried away.
, hmm maybe I should get one and start practicing more tricks.
Good idea!! These days I get most of mine here. Good variety and excellent customer service.

Oh, and contrary to popular belief, yo-yos were not invented as weapons. That myth came from some of the early yo-yo demonstrators. Due to the physics of the yo-yo, it is actually slowing down as it nears the end of the string, which is kinda counter-productive for use as a weapon. Although, in a "rock on a string" sense you could flail someone pretty good with one.

You have to at least be able to tolerate yo yos if you're into the paranormal:)

I never was really good at yo yos. I could make it go down and up a few times, bout it.

Played with them allot many years ago. Had a few of the Duncans...one had miniature lights in them. I'm amazed at what the pros can do with them.

If you're not familiar with modern-day yo-yo abilities, or even if you are, check out this little vid:

Delightful, that made me smile so much my face aches.

Superskills or what.

I would guess that guy isn't thinking that hard about what he's doing, a bit like a musician in that blissful state we have talked about before,
The zone, when it's like you are being played and not just you playing.
Besides that I bet he would be a great pastry chef. :)

And now I'm hungry,

Mark

Thanks for the videos, there is only one word to describe what these guys can do with yoyos, and it is not in my vocabulary!!!

Delightful, that made me smile so much my face aches.

Superskills or what.
Yeah, he had that effect on me, too. Absolutely amazing. Maybe someday I'll be half that good. Maybe....

If you haven't already looked at his other vids,
is also very impressive...
I would guess that guy isn't thinking that hard about what he's doing, a bit like a musician in that blissful state we have talked about before,
The zone, when it's like you are being played and not just you playing.
That's an interesting comparison, and one that I don't think I've thought about before. Pretty much the only correlation between the two that I've made is that like guitars, yo-yos work best with fresh strings!:D

I've been "in the zone" with both, and while there are similarities (most notably the feeling that you couldn't fuck up if you tried) the musical "zone" is far more uplifting, especially in a group setting when everyone is clicking. The yo-yo "zone" is pretty cool too, though. When I can string several moves together into one "trick" (or combination, as they call them), and have the yo just *smack* back into the hand, that's a very cool feeling.

The hardest thing I find about being "in the zone" is deciding whether to let it flow with tricks I already know, or to use these temporarily improved abilities to try and master something new. Usually, new stuff will knock me out of the "zone", but sometimes it just keeps flowing. I've occasionally made considerable advances in that state, but not often.

As far as the video goes, it's hard to tell if anyone's "in the zone" from a pre-edited media source. He might have blown a trick a dozen times before he landed it, but we don't see those "out-takes". That being said, he has remarkable skills, and a very creative, "outside the box" style of throwing. He does things with "slack" tricks that I haven't seen anyone else even attempt.
Besides that I bet he would be a great pastry chef. :)
That's a good possibility.
And now I'm hungry,
Me, too.

If you haven't already looked at his other vids,
is also very impressive...

Your right, that's insane :eek: but I have to say the video skunkape posted of that oriental guy wins.

Truly deeply Ninja.

I would like to see, and have explained, a readout of his brain activity whilst performing that routine. Reminded me of some sort of martial art, quite mesmerised by it.

Yo,

Mark

Reminded me of some sort of martial art, quite mesmerised by it.

Yo,

Mark
My dad was stationed in Korea in the early 70's and got absorbed in
Tae Kwon Do. He maintained connections with his Korean friends and is now an instructor at an academy owned by one of the most bad-ass Masters I've ever personally winessed. He spins his body through the air breaking bricks and boards like the freakin' Meat Yo-Yo of Doom.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Attachments

• b5_107.jpg
    b5_107.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 3
Your right, that's insane :eek: but I have to say the video skunkape posted of that oriental guy wins.

Truly deeply Ninja.

I would like to see, and have explained, a readout of his brain activity whilst performing that routine. Reminded me of some sort of martial art, quite mesmerised by it.

Yo,

Mark
Yeah, he's very awesome. The amount of moves he can pull off with one throw is just unbelievable.

....Meat Yo-Yo of Doom.
:D:D:D Love it!!!

Back