• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Three hundred missing years

Free episodes:

DBTrek

The Deacon of Beacon Hill
One question that has long puzzled historians is the fate of the Greeks (Mycenaens) during the period of time dubiously titled "The Dark Age of Greece".

This time period stretched from roughly 1150BC (or BCE) to about 850 BCE. During this time the Mycenaens vanished from their cities in large numbers. Even more curious, the Myceneans apparently cease writing for three centuries.

Nothing else in history compares to this phenomena. No other people (as far was we know) have ever abandoned their cities, crafts, and recordings for such a span of time. For three hundred years the Greeks effectively vanish from the historical record.

What could have caused such a mass exodus from civilization? This Washington State University website states simply that: "Not only did the Greeks abandon writing and most crafts, they also abandoned their large commercial network. They virtually stopped trading with Asia Minor, the Middle East, and Egypt; in fact, they seem to have stopped trading with one another as well."

Furthermore they speculate that: "From 1200 (or 1150, or 1100, take your pick) to 750, the Greeks lived a fairly sedentary, non-urbanized, agricultural life. Many villages were abandoned, and it seems likely that many Greeks returned to a nomadic life in small tribal groups."

An entire civilization leaving their cities and spontaneously returning to tribal living?

Quite mysterious.

The controversial historian Immanuel Velikovsky speculates that the gap in history is due to a mathematical error arising from basing the ancient Greek timescale off of the ancient Egyptian one.

Other historians maintain that: "The great palaces and cities of the Myceneans were destroyed or abandoned." or ". . .the Mycenaean civilization was undermined by an ecological catastrophe. The hill top fortress, forest fauna hunting, horse-based society depicted in Homer and Hesiod was supplanted by a trading culture connected more closely to the sea. The ecological deterioration was the loss of forests through human exploitation, making the prior economic structure unsustainable."

The fact that the ruined cities of the Mycenaens show no physical signs of this being the case is most curious.

Whatever the cause, it is clear that before they vanished the Mycenaens were writing in Linear B, and when they reappeared they were wrote using "the more familiar alpha-beta-gamma" style.

There are many theories as to what exactly happened to the Mycenaen Greeks during this period based on fragmentary and conflicting evidence. Far more has been written on the subject than I could possibly present in one forum post, but the fact is no one is quite sure where the Greeks went for these three hundred years, or why.

How's that for an "Ancient Mystery"?

-DBTrek

i would assume by reading closely the earliest known writings after the lapse in time we would find clues.

It is indeed a mysterious period in Greek prehistory. However, much new light has been shed on the Dark Age by finds from Lefkandi on the island of Euboia, north of Athens. The finds are from an archaeological site and cemetery dating from the 11th to 9th centuries BC, and as well as finding a huge proto temple 50 metres in length, there were objects which revealed extensive contacts with the Near East at the time.

There is also Protogeometric pottery, dated to roughly 1,050-900BC, which has many similarities with Mycenaean pottery, from various sites in Greece including Athens.

Brian Haughton said:
It is indeed a mysterious period in Greek prehistory. However, much new light has been shed on the Dark Age by finds from Lefkandi on the island of Euboia, north of Athens.

That's an interesting excavation site. I've only been able to read the Wikipedia entry but I'll keep my eye out for more information. I wonder if any writings will be uncovered from island sites like this referencing what might have been happening on the mainland. Something as dire as a large population migrating away from it's cities and giving up writing would seemingly be noteworthy.

-DBTrek

It is a fascinating site. Lefkandi is really very close (only a few miles) to the mainland, so I don't think there would be any difference in material culture. The Mycenaean script Linear B was only used for administrative purposes, so it seems when the structure of Mycenaean society collapsed its record keeping in Linear B disappeared. But Linear B is a form of primitive Greek so there is continuity from Mycenaean times until the Greek language proper reappears in the late 9th / early 8th centuries.

Nothing else in history compares to this phenomena. No other people (as far was we know) have ever abandoned their cities, crafts, and recordings for such a span of time. For three hundred years the Greeks effectively vanish from the historical record.

Well, not sure where this idea came from, but it's just not right. The Mayans are one well known example of people who abandoned their cities. There are also more examples in Central and South America.

The difference is, I suppose, that these indigenous American tribes never left their cities and then returned to the historical record like the Greeks did. So in that sense maybe the Greeks were unique.

Brian Now said:

Well, not sure where this idea came from, but it's just not right. The Mayans are one well known example of people who abandoned their cities. There are also more examples in Central and South America.

The difference is, I suppose, that these indigenous American tribes never left their cities and then returned to the historical record like the Greeks did. So in that sense maybe the Greeks were unique.

What do we know about climate during that period? Did the Greeks need to move for a while? Gulf stream changes? Amazon changes affecting European weather?

From what I remember reading some time back, Mycenaens had acquired great wealth which eventually became attractive to Rome. When they realized they were to be the next target, their civilization took to the hills, so to speak.

That hardly explains what happened to them, but it looks as though they were reabsorbed within their new surroundings, whatever they were, probably more easily due to the wealth which may have been divided summarily.

It's another theory anyway.

Could this be related to the massive volcanic explosion at Santorini? I've been there and the volcano size is truly incredible.

Wikimedia Error

I was thinking the exact same thing. It was around the same time period depending on the accepted margin of error of dating the volcano. It is said that the eruption may have also destroted the Minoan civilization, which was a ways away. I love ancient mysteries and civilizations. That is a very cool area to visit.
Peace,
B

Back