• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Truth is Not Out There, It's Right Here...

Jeff Davis

Paranormal Adept
Like all things informational concerning that ultimate fascination that is UFOs, I was somewhat uplifted and inspired after reading Leslie Kean's recent blog reporting that centers on a new specific organized scientific UFO study group termed UFODATA. There are many philosophical revelations within Kean's article itself, possibly it might stir some interests and feedback here on this forum.

Pertinent Links include,

(Very) Local SETI: The Launch of a New UFO Science

UFODATA Project

Like all things informational concerning that ultimate fascination that is UFOs, I was somewhat uplifted and inspired after reading Leslie Kean's recent blog reporting that centers on a new specific organized scientific UFO study group termed UFODATA. There are many philosophical revelations within Kean's article itself, possibly it might stir some interests and feedback here on this forum.

Pertinent Links include,

(Very) Local SETI: The Launch of a New UFO Science

UFODATA Project

The UFODATA project sounds like it would be of interest to @Christopher O'Brien because he's working on something similar of his own. Peter Davenport of NUFORC also has a passive surveillance monitoring plan. I attempted to get people to do volunteer sky watching through USI, but people just don't have the time, so unless these monitoring projects can get a whack of cash from someplace, it's not likely that they will amount to much. And even they get some video, there are issues that people relatively new to the field ( like Kean ) don't seem to haven't thought entirely through.

Consequently, I've to come to a less than popular, but still realistic conclusion. Ufology is too wide a field to be crammed into the pigeon-hole that is the scientific method. Before real meaningful scientific analysis can happen, evidence is needed that goes beyond video recordings. It needs to be material and verifiable by independent scientists at arms-length from the field itself. That is the kind of evidence that mainstream scientists will want to dig their teeth into.

Until then, I think the efforts of the ufology community would be better spent focusing on what those who have seen an alien craft for themselves already know: Alien visitation is real. My hope is that somehow those of us who already know this will find a way to unite through that common denominator in our worldviews, and that together we can figure out things like where on Earth the aliens are now, what they're doing here, and maybe even communicate with them.

Last edited:
@ufology,
Kean is in no way shape or form new to UFO considerations. She is perhaps one of the most astute contributors to ever author a manuscript concerning the subject. Kean is absolutely agnostic with respect to a "belief system" that serves to illogically identify the unidentified. She reports on what is the absolute cutting edge of serious UFO/UAP focally centered efforts to discover the truths of what is a vast and perplexing phenomena. If humanity is ever to discover such a priceless understanding, it will be done by those whose fantasies do not fuel their efforts. Those who premeditate their efforts by insisting on feigning definitions for the evidence that they seek are in fact in sharp contrast to those who insist on the true arduous path to real discovery. A path that does not extend itself from false beginnings but rather one that is congruent with the acceptance of the unknown as a sheer and pure motive in and of it's own right.

Hundreds of years ago people KNEW that they had seen what it is that they had seen when they witnessed a myriad of UFO/UAP. Just like those who do this very second, however, that does not in any way mean that they understood what it is they had witnessed, yet ardent believers everywhere were and are absolutely certain that they did and do. What does this scenario get us repeatedly?

@ufology,
Kean is in no way shape or form new to UFO considerations. She is perhaps one of the most astute contributors to ever author a manuscript concerning the subject. Kean is absolutely agnostic with respect to a "belief system" that serves to illogically identify the unidentified. She reports on what is the absolute cutting edge of serious UFO/UAP focally centered efforts to discover the truths of what is a vast and perplexing phenomena. If humanity is ever to discover such a priceless understanding, it will be done by those whose fantasies do not fuel their efforts. Those who premeditate their efforts by insisting on feigning definitions for the evidence that they seek are in fact in sharp contrast to those who insist on the true arduous path to real discovery. A path that does not extend itself from false beginnings but rather one that is congruent with the acceptance of the unknown as a sheer and pure motive in and of it's own right.

Hundreds of years ago people KNEW that they had seen what it is that they had seen when they witnessed a myriad of UFO/UAP. Just like those who do this very second, however, that does not in any way mean that they understood what it is they had witnessed, yet ardent believers everywhere were and are absolutely certain that they did and do. What does this scenario get us repeatedly?
With respect to Kean, I said "relatively new", as opposed to "new". She's done a fair bit of homework, and although she's done some good work, she basically stumbled into the field and her main purpose appears to have been to further her career as a journalist rather than as a serious ufologist. Her initiation into the ranks of UFO proponents occurred in 1999 when she was given a copy of a French UFO report called COMETA. Compared to a number of others, including Gene and Chris and others on this forum and elsewhere, that's "relatively new".

Gene for example tells of his involvement all the way back to the days of NICAP and APRO which were 50s and 60s era organizations, and even our group ( USI ) which is also "relatively new" was founded in 1989 ( 10 years prior to Kean getting into ufology ), and I was personally into it all the way back to my childhood inn the late 60s. Guys like Friedman date back to the 1970s. Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go on the Record was copyrighted in 2010, and although there are certainly worse books, it doesn't really contain a lot of info we didn't already know about.

I also don't like her "agnostic" approach. That characterization comes across to me as more of a sales pitch, and even if it is genuine, then that just means her role has been to exploit the field as much as possible ( which she's done really well at ), all while being aligned with some other players who have made a choice to distance themselves from ufology because they don't want to be associated with all the controversial figures ( as if they themselves aren't ) who believe in aliens ( when they're investigating exactly the same cases and phenomena ). I find that disingenuous and hypocritical.

All that being said, like I've said many times before, I want to like Kean. I own her book and have listened to more than one interview and watched videos in which she is featured, I just wish she'd taken a little different of a path to her success. Her more recent alignment with CUFOS is IMO a step in the right direction, Not that CUFOS doesn't seem have a few problems of its own, but historically I like it better than MUFON, and what UFO interest group doesn't have problems?.

But more importantly, the topic of Kean herself isn't really what I was getting at with respect to my comment, and I probably should have just left her name out of it altogether. Setting up some kind of monitoring program is an idea that people who come into the field seem to hit on fairly early, and maybe try to develop at some point. But the reality is that there are already numerous tracking systems run by government agencies with billions of dollars, and just because they aren't branded as "UFO tracking stations" doesn't mean they don't detect pretty much everything going on out there, including UFOs.

So my point is that somebody in that system knows alien visitation is real, and many of us out here in the public know alien visitation is real. So what is the point of another tracking system project? Who do we need to convince? Why? I'm not opposed to private tracking systems, but what's the end-game? Fame? Fortune? Does someone get to go on TV and say, "Hey here's the evidence that UFOs are real?" My point is, we already know that, so what further questions would such a project hope to answer?

Last edited:
With respect to Kean, I said "relatively new", as opposed to "new". She's done a fair bit of homework, and although she's done some good work, she basically stumbled into the field and her main purpose appears to have been to further her career as a journalist rather than as a serious ufologist. Her initiation into the ranks of UFO proponents occurred in 1999 when she was given a copy of a French UFO report called COMETA. Compared to a number of others, including Gene and Chris and others on this forum and elsewhere, that's "relatively new".

Gene for example tells of his involvement all the way back to the days of NICAP and APRO which were 50s and 60s era organizations, and even our group ( USI ) which is also "relatively new" was founded in 1989 ( 10 years prior to Kean getting into ufology ), and I was personally into it all the way back to my childhood inn the late 60s. Guys like Friedman date back to the 1970s. Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go on the Record was copyrighted in 2010, and although there are certainly worse books, it doesn't really contain a lot of info we didn't already know about.

I also don't like her "agnostic" approach. That characterization comes across to me as more of a sales pitch, and even if it is genuine, then that just means her role has been to exploit the field as much as possible ( which she's done really well at ), all while being aligned with some other players who have made a choice to distance themselves from ufology because they don't want to be associated with all the controversial figures ( as if they themselves aren't ) who believe in aliens ( when they're investigating exactly the same cases and phenomena ). I find that disingenuous and hypocritical.

All that being said, like I've said many times before, I want to like Kean. I own her book and have listened to more than one interview and watched videos in which she is featured, I just wish she'd taken a little different of a path to her success. Her more recent alignment with CUFOS is IMO a step in the right direction, Not that CUFOS doesn't seem have a few problems of its own, but historically I like it better than MUFON, and what UFO interest group doesn't have problems?.

But more importantly, the topic of Kean herself isn't really what I was getting at with respect to my comment, and I probably should have just left her name out of it altogether. Setting up some kind of monitoring program is an idea that people who come into the field seem to hit on fairly early, and maybe try to develop at some point. But the reality is that there are already numerous tracking systems run by government agencies with billions of dollars, and just because they aren't branded as "UFO tracking stations" doesn't mean they don't detect pretty much everything going on out there, including UFOs.

So my point is that somebody in that system knows alien visitation is real, and many of us out here in the public know alien visitation is real. So what is the point of another tracking system project? Who do we need to convince? Why? I'm not opposed to private tracking systems, but what's the end-game? Fame? Fortune? Does someone get to go on TV and say, "Hey here's the evidence that UFOs are real?" My point is, we already know that, so what further questions would such a project hope to answer?

16 years is not "relatively new" by any definition. Kean's level of talented expertise as a journalist is specifically what's responsible for the quality of the product that she has rendered. Kean does not claim to be a Ufologist, which is IMO a pseudoscience term if ever there were one. Kean is merely a gifted messenger and does not seek the type of "cult of UFO" seniority that your expressed casual disdain for her credits. The only position that a person exhibiting a mentally healthy aptitude can in fact take with respect to what can only be truly defined as a phenomenon, or a multifaceted phenomena, is one of sheer agnosticism. This is because there is in fact no factual definition for what is an unidentified flying object, or more accurately, an unidentified aerial phenomenon. UFOs may in fact end up being discovered as that which constitutes "alien craft", however they may in fact be discovered to be something quite altogether different. This is why we need the juxtaposition of extremely sophisticated observation devices that disavow the fallible act of human based observations. It may be possible for project UFODATA to render such results. After all, we have never had a picnic on the Sun, nor have we had a piece of it to study within our best laboratories, and yet via scientifically appropriate observations just how much do we in fact know concerning as much? This is why I have always sought to push consciousness research with respect to better defining the paranormal as a whole. The paranormal is at best, at this time, a bastion of consciousness induced reality, not of time and space. If the paranormal's essence were naturally finite and material, bound to time and space as we ourselves are, we would have long ago produced replications and maintained replicated reductions scientifically. UFOs greatly influence and effect their conscious observers in unlimited fashion. They literally interact with consciousness. Who can deny it? Is it not by relative finitely effectual association that we best determine the Sun's interactions with our environment such as is the case with photosynthesis? UFOs effect the environment of human consciousness in ways unknown. We can assume that is because alien beings navigate them as we would imagine ourselves to do, but we simply do not know this is the case. UFOs are at this time a far more fascinating unknown IMO.

Last edited:
Back