• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The "Save Our Pets" Thread

I want you to bar this ass hole from the forums and if you don't you and I will have a problem.
You want Gene to bar me because I won't sign his petition, and he'll will have a problem with you if he doesn't?
So Gene wants to cause a problem, and you want to cause another problem. Why don't you try SOLVING problems instead of CREATING problems?

You have things a little confused. The petition is designed to express opinions, not to provide a thorough plan to resolve it. That's up to the powers-that-be to figure out if there's a way to establish no-kill shelters in New York City. Knowing what the public wants can influence that goal.

It's the same as a poll that might list a preference for a particular political candidate, but it's not going to list a set of detailed proposals for what that candidate might do if elected. That might be another poll, but it would only address the matters in general terms.

The main point here is that, absent the extra content, you wouldn't sign the poll. And you don't sound like a fan of household pets.

End of story. Let's move on.

Gene, I'm not confused. You wrote, "Following is a petition to establish "no kill" policies at New York City animal shelters." . You implied that if this practice were to be put into effect, the shelters would be overwhelmed. That is your goal. Now you say it was designed to express opinions.

Well, nobody else here is putting in their two cents, except that Irish guy who wants to put people in ovens. Let's check back later and see if anyone wrote something constructive.

I didn't say the shelters would be overwhelmed.

The Irish guy is my friend, kind, sensitive. He gets angry, but his heart is in the right place.

I didn't say the shelters would be overwhelmed.
Quote from you - "Yes, they mall be overwhelmed with pets, but that's no excuse."

Actually, that statement is why I replied.
The Irish guy is my friend, kind, sensitive. He gets angry, but his heart is in the right place.
There was no reason for him to be angry. It sounded like he wanted to put me in an oven while still alive.

Point taken. But I just can't see why you bother to comment any further.
I wanted you to understand that you were making decisions that affect other people (but not you). Very easy to do when you're 2000 miles away. It's the same as people in Washington DC telling people in your state what to do with illegal immigrants, except you're not going to see a bus load of stray animals from NY dumped in your neighborhood, so you don't have to worry about it.
The folks in NYC have already decided what to do with the strays. I haven't looked at this petition, but my thought is that anyone who "votes" from another city should be ignored.

Actually the "illegal immigrants" you refer to are usually would-be refugees, given temporary legal status while their cases are evaluated. You are repeating a right-wing falsehood. Treating suffering people like this is abuse pure and simple.

And your admission that you never read the petition indicates you're just making it up and trolling.

Have a nice day.

Good one, Gene. So you think people here illegally have temporary legal status, therefore it's impossible to be in this country illegally. Saying otherwise is a right-wing falsehood. This view is actually a left-wing falsehood, and has nothing to do with "no kill" policies at animal shelters.

I haven't made anything up. All my responses were based on what you wrote. I did not feel it was necessary to read the petition, because you told us what it was. I just went to the site, because I don't want to be called a "troll." The "petition" is a vehicle for the collection of email addresses. It says so in the little print you can barely see under the giant SIGN THIS PETITION button. Please, just THINK before you move your mouse finger, and I hope others do as well.

The people being bussed for political purposes are all or mostly refugees, not illegal anything. A large number of people who are considered "illegal" are those who have overstayed their visas. Do your own research for the rest.

As to the petition: You are making a fuss over nothing. You don't want to sign a petition, fine. No need to make a deal of it.

Let me sum this up:

1. You object to a petition calling for "no-kill" shelters in New York City.
  2. You object to my response because I do not live in NYC when, in fact, I've spent nearly half my life living in and around NYC.
  3. You never read the petition. It is very specific of what it wants those shelters to do.
  4. Without any knowledge, you claim that change.org petitions are meant just to collect email addresses. In fact, you can join the organization and post your own petitions. Do you do that to collect email addresses from people, or to support a cause? Think carefully.
  5. You have nothing useful to say on the subject. You'd rather troll and, sometimes, just insult.
  6. You identity undocumented immigrants with a pejorative used by one political party and its supporters.

Please take your hate elsewhere. Thank you.

Your logic is convoluted. It wasn't a joke. It was just a foolish statement.

No more comments from you will be allowed until you actually read the petition you are writing about.

Let me sum this up:

1. You object to a petition calling for "no-kill" shelters in New York City.

True, when you offer no alternative, do not support the shelters financially or contribute any assistance whatsoever, being as you're 2000 miles away.
  2. You object to my response because I do not live in NYC when, in fact, I've spent nearly half my life living in and around NYC.

It doesn't matter if you moved away last week. You're not there to handle the mess.

You never read the petition. It is very specific of what it wants those shelters to do.

You told us what the petition said. Don't you want us to believe you?

3. Without any knowledge, you claim that change.org petitions are meant just to collect email addresses. In fact, you can join the organization and post your own petitions. Do you do that to collect email addresses from people, or to support a cause? Think carefully.

I would do it to collect email addresses so I can ask for money.
  4. You have nothing useful to say on the subject. You'd rather troll and, sometimes, just insult.

Almost everything I've said on the subject is "useful," you just don't want to hear it. I have not insulted anyone or called you a troll.
  5. You identity undocumented immigrants with a pejorative used by one political party and its supporters.

People that enter the country illegally don't magically become legal because they're on a bus.

I don't hate anyone and I'm not one of your trolls. I helped you out twice, once in 2018 when you were about to get kicked out of your hotel and your PayPal account was down to 30 bucks. Not one of your listeners stepped up to the plate, but I did.

Please take your hate elsewhere. Thank you.

Thank you for the past help. Sorry if I took this beyond what you intended.

We have to separate undocumented immigrants who entered the country illegally, and those who overstayed their visas and/or petitioned for refugee status. If they come as refugees and ask for asylum, they are accepted into this country — thus legal — until their cases are resolved.

Back