• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The "Save Our Pets" Thread

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
Teddy Bear Small.pngNo doubt you've heard me talk about our pet Bichon Frise, Teddy Bear. He's a rescue, and we adopted him when he was a year old. He's a source of joy in our lives, and he's a natural empathy animal.

So I don't know why anyone would abandon a household pet, but people do. Unfortunately, not all animal shelters have "no kill" policies, meaning that many of them are condemned to death.

Following is a petition to establish "no kill" policies at New York City animal shelters. Yes, they mall be overwhelmed with pets, but that's no excuse.

So please say yes.

Oh, and if you want to adopt a Bichon, here's where we got Teddy Bear. It may require a long trip, but it's worth it. It was an over 7 hour drive for us, and we know we did the right thing for this little guy.

Teddy Bear Small.pngNo doubt you've heard me talk about our pet Bichon Frise, Teddy Bear. He's a rescue, and we adopted him when he was a year old. He's a source of joy in our lives, and he's a natural empathy animal.

So I don't know why anyone would abandon a household pet, but people do. Unfortunately, not all animal shelters have "no kill" policies, meaning that many of them are condemned to death.

Following is a petition to establish "no kill" policies at New York City animal shelters. Yes, they mall be overwhelmed with pets, but that's no excuse.

So please say yes.

Oh, and if you want to adopt a Bichon, here's where we got Teddy Bear. It may require a long trip, but it's worth it. It was an over 7 hour drive for us, and we know we did the right thing for this little guy.

Petition signed. Tell Bear I said hello.

You're promoting a petition that may cause the shelters to be "overwhelmed with pets, but that's no excuse." Who is going to take care of the overwhelming number of animals? Will the animal shelter staff be able to handle the fallout from this brilliant and well thought out plan?
LOL, Gene, you don't even live in NYC!

There is already a solution in place. We live in a strange world where we kill millions of chickens and cattle, but not dogs and cats. Can you imagine going back in time and telling someone you have an animal at home that does nothing and has no purpose, but you feed it and clean up after it and buy it toys and take it to the doctor? They'd want to trade places.

Clearly you aren't interested in pets.

Yes, dogs and cats have a purpose, if only to enrich the lives of their owners.

Oh and by the way, I also lived in New York and New Jersey for another 17 years beginning in 1976.

Clearly you aren't interested in pets.

Yes, dogs and cats have a purpose, if only to enrich the lives of their owners.

Oh and by the way, I also lived in New York and New Jersey for another 19 years beginning in 1976.
I have often said that I would trade humans for a world of pets.
Considering what your previous forum member said I now understand my thinking more fully.

So long as that member doesn't get a job at an animal shelter, we'll be just fine.
Considering the staff would be overwhelmed at the various shelters, I don't think anyone would be waiting in line for the job.

Here's a good question; when your pet gets old and is suffering from arthritis or cancer, or it "turns" on you and starts snapping and growling, what do most people do? They take it to the vet and pay an extra $100 to cremate the remains. So having a "no kill" shelter doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since euthanasia is the fate of many pets.

Considering the staff would be overwhelmed at the various shelters, I don't think anyone would be waiting in line for the job.

Here's a good question; when your pet gets old and is suffering from arthritis or cancer, or it "turns" on you and starts snapping and growling, what do most people do? They take it to the vet and pay an extra $100 to cremate the remains. So having a "no kill" shelter doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since euthanasia is the fate of many pets.
Well obviously you have not had very many pets because what they usually do is crawl away and die on their own so as you the human will not be upset.
I do however think you raise a few good ideas and I think you make a good point about cremation.
Over Here in Belfast in Northern Ireland we usually put people we don't like into crates and straight into the oven while alive.
I look forward to speaking with you within the next few weeks.

We also cremate many humans who die.

Let's put it simply: You don't like pets, or at least pet dogs (and cats). You don't appreciate their value and can only consider what happens when they are sick in some way.

Remember, too, that dogs don't just make great pets. They have a value in forensics too, for example:

Long and short, however, most dog and cat owners regard them as members of their family (as we do with Teddy Bear). If you can't appreciate that, fine. There are other threads here where you can post on subjects more agreeable to you SkyKing.

We also cremate many humans who die.

Let's put it simply: You don't like pets, or at least pet dogs (and cats). You don't appreciate their value and can only consider what happens when they are sick in some way.

Remember, too, that dogs don't just make great pets. They have a value in forensics too, for example:

Long and short, however, most dog and cat owners regard them as members of their family (as we do with Teddy Bear). If you can't appreciate that, fine. There are other threads here where you can post on subjects more agreeable to you SkyKing.
I know you are not happy with me but I am a phone call away from reaching out to the Irish in New York Gene and I genuinely don't give a fuck about this ass hole.

Gene, the point I'm making is not about cremating pets or people.
It's not about forensic dogs, seeing eye dogs, tracking dogs, hunting dogs, etc. and I realize that some people consider their pets "family."
It's about signing a petition that would outlaw the putting down of unwanted, stray or feral animals with no plan on how to take care of the mess this would make. It's not OK to overwhelm the animal shelters in NYC, just because you lived there a half century ago. What good would that do? Who is going to pay for this and who is going to volunteer to take care of the dogs and cats? Why sign a petition that will make the problem worse?

Well obviously you have not had very many pets because what they usually do is crawl away and die on their own so as you the human will not be upset.
I do however think you raise a few good ideas and I think you make a good point about cremation.
Over Here in Belfast in Northern Ireland we usually put people we don't like into crates and straight into the oven while alive.
I look forward to speaking with you within the next few weeks.
If you put the people in the oven while alive, who takes care of their pets??

Back